You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

The majority of people live in a bubble when it comes to Mignolet. When he leaves here he won’t go the way of Reina. He will be a top keeper somewhere and either people will be shocked how all these percentages suddenly change or they will still just bury their head in the sand and say he’s shite because of how little they watch other football.

He looked goodish in a shite team for one season, then he’s been consistently shit - an absolute liability - in a "top six" team for what feels like ages.

He could secretly be a really good goalkeeper, but I'm not going to put any bets on it.

The majority of people live in a bubble when it comes to Mignolet. When he leaves here he won’t go the way of Reina. He will be a top keeper somewhere and either people will be shocked how all these percentages suddenly change or they will still just bury their head in the sand and say he’s shite because of how little they watch other football.

I'll take that bet, he's fucking shit. 

I recall having an argument with the Woolster as we were bringing him in. As always, Wooly was pushing his stats at Sunderland.

My argument then, and I think it's still valid, is that it's easy to see weighted stats at a club which spends most of the game playing defensive football, and in which a lot of the incoming shots will be speculative if the other side are having trouble breaking the defence down. But at Liverpool we play a high defensive line to press up the pitch, so that leaves space for counter-attacking, and we had relied heavily on Reina to sweep behind the back four and remain alert for the odd chance coming through (not looking to ignite the arguments about him going). I wasn't convinced they were qualities Mignolet possessed, and in the time he's been here I think he's shown he doesn't possess them. He gets a nose bleed if he approaches the edge of his area.

• Upvote 2

I certainly agree with this. 

I'd loan Grujic to Fulham if possible. Good footballing team on their day and it keeps him away from Wanker and Pulis. Also it opens up a line of communication for us to sign Sessegnon which is something we should absolutely do even if it takes another years worth of loan back to secure him.

Already done that when we loaned them Ojo...

Not sure who this Dave O’C chap is but -

DaveOCKOP‏Conta verificada @DaveOCKOP

Interesting reports that past few days with Oblak and Alisson. A lot going on with Alisson in the background. A summer move possible but I'd watch this space for a possible surprise before the end of this window.

If the club wants Alisson it makes sense to also have interest in Oblak out there, or visa versa. 'We'll sign Oblak/Alisson if you don't lower your price'. Think Alisson will be the one signed, of course Oblak is fantastic too.

As for goalkeepers, I’m on board with going big for either Alisson or Oblak. We are becoming a very good team and the current goalkeeping situation is out of step with the rest of the side.

Mignolet is surely finished here. He might be retained until summer in case we need him, and fair enough at that point, but we’ve seen enough over several years. Nice fella and has his moments where he looks good, but ultimately he doesn’t save enough shots and is not an elite keeper.

Karius looks like he is under consideration for his future. Ironically I’d slightly give Mignolet the nod over Karius in a head to head, but we can’t be sure whether or not Karius will show the sort of form that prompted us to sign him. Chances are he won’t make the grade, but it’s worth persevering with him at the moment, so long as he doesn’t start killing us again with his nervous mistakes.

My best guess is both will Be gone and we will sign another to go straight in. Alisson for £40-50M or Oblak for perhaps another £20M more. Crazy money, definitely, and either one would command a world record fee for a keeper.

But the context is we have money and it’s the biggest weakness in our side. Sort it out properly, instead of with another hopeful low priced signing that is only a maybe/might come good.

If we have all the Coutinho fee left we should still be able to sign a Coutinho replacement and one of the aforementioned keepers.

If I had to guess, I'd say Karius and Ward are fighting for the right to be #2 keeper. Ming is not interested in that, maybe they are OK with it.

Yes, but "the number of goals you would probably expect" is the AVERAGE of all the goalkeepers in the league.

So he's average most of the time and had a couple of periods where he's been below average. Either way, it's not remotely good enough for a club hoping to win things. At Southampton, or Everton, or West Ham, he's probably good enough.

If you want to play for Liverpool, and we want to win things, you had better be above league average, that's for sure.

I can't see the chart from work pc, but I have been arguing for along time now the xG (or xS) against us underestimates that chance quality that we concede, and possibly quite significantly, so whilst its the best we have got, I am always wary of trusting these stats for keepers at teams that could be considered an outlier. So personally think if that could be taken into account, Mignolet would actually come out as an above average keeper.

Now that still would not be good quite good enough, however, from an analytics point of view, it is very hard to say with any certainty who would actually be better, and those who you can are probably already at the bigger clubs.

Not sure who this Dave O’C chap is but -

Interesting reports that past few days with Oblak and Alisson. A lot going on with Alisson in the background. A summer move possible but I'd watch this space for a possible surprise before the end of this window.

If the club wants Alisson it makes sense to also have interest in Oblak out there, or visa versa. 'We'll sign Oblak/Alisson if you don't lower your price'. Think Alisson will be the one signed, of course Oblak is fantastic too.

DaveOCKOPConta's a good lad. We share some of the same contacts. That's not his real name though.

• Upvote 1

De gea makes spectacular saves almost every game, to say that we would consede loads more behind our shit defense, im not sure of that, the games ive seen for united their defense is very bad and make loads of howlers but that cunt is always there to save them.

• Upvote 1