You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke

Why the fuck are Chelsea constantly trying to buy bang average English players?  Money to go after whoever they want in the world and their shopping list is Drinkwater, Chamberlain, Barkley and Carroll.

Is Conte on the wine?

I honestly think Abromovich is pissed off spunking money against the wall, especially now he can't play Mr Richest guy in the PL due to City. They've been giving less and less out over the past few seasons. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him give up his pet toy some time in the near future. I think he reached his target when they won the CL, they haven't been so spendthrift in the market since that win. 

I honestly think Abromovich is pissed off spunking money against the wall, especially now he can't play Mr Richest guy in the PL due to City. They've been giving less and less out over the past few seasons. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him give up his pet toy some time in the near future. I think he reached his target when they won the CL, they haven't been so spendthrift in the market since that win. 

Even still, it would even less sense going for English players when you're paying x10 what they're worth.

It would be good if he did fuck off.  I imagine they'd be one less team to worry about in a short space of time.

Guest Pistonbroke

Even still, it would even less sense going for English players when you're paying x10 what they're worth.

It would be good if he did fuck off.  I imagine they'd be one less team to worry about in a short space of time.

Maybe's he wants to fiddle the books before he goes. How many players do those fuckers still have out on loan? 

The Daily Express, cited by TeamTalk, are reporting that Liverpool are the most likely side to push through a deal for Norwich midfielder James Maddison this month in a move which would see the midfielder complete a transfer in the summer

I’m hearing that there’s substance in this, but we might have to throw in a year’s supply of his favourite coconut-flavored confectionary.

I’m hearing £18m and two Fridges Of Maddison’s Bounty.

• Upvote 1

El Dangerous knows.

The £100m for Oblak is a mandatory release clause for La Liga. I could see Atleti being willing to sell for a sum much lower than this.

The Pope and Pavlenka shouts aren't the worst, but I'm wary of buying keepers from lower positioned/statured clubs.

We've done it recently with Carson, Kirkland, Dudek, Karius, Doni and Cavalieri, James, Friedel. Reina was signed from Villarreal. Not a top, top club. Our record of taking a punt on keepers from clubs with a lower stature, keepers who when at their previous clubs rarely on or were expected to win things, has been poor. Reina is the only good one we've signed. Very few of them have been first choice at international level either.

Personally, I'd go big on a keeper over the summer. Alisson or Oblak (if available for less than the £100m) for me.

Alisson looks good. Very good reaction speed. Particularly from making a save to getting back up and set to save again. Also looks very fast and decisive off his line.

Oblak looks the real deal though. Keeps things simple for a keeper. Good handling. Very good technically. Looks like he's been well coached too. I've heard a few shouts about Lafont in France. Looks decent. But raw. Lots of saves where he's pushing the ball back into play centrally. Not a good trait for a keeper. The clips I've seen of Oblak, he'll make a save, but will pretty much always be mindful to tip it round the post or out wide so the chance of a follow up goal is reduced. It's the little things like this that transform a good keeper into a top quality one.

• Upvote 1

El Dangerous knows.

The £100m for Oblak is a mandatory release clause for La Liga. I could see Atleti being willing to sell for a sum much lower than this.

The Pope and Pavlenka shouts aren't the worst, but I'm wary of buying keepers from lower positioned/statured clubs.

We've done it recently with Carson, Kirkland, Dudek, Karius, Doni and Cavalieri, James, Friedel. Reina was signed from Villarreal. Not a top, top club. Our record of taking a punt on keepers from clubs with a lower stature, keepers who when at their previous clubs rarely on or were expected to win things, has been poor. Reina is the only good one we've signed. Very few of them have been first choice at international level either.

Personally, I'd go big on a keeper over the summer. Alisson or Oblak (if available for less than the £100m) for me.

Alisson looks good. Very good reaction speed. Particularly from making a save to getting back up and set to save again. Also looks very fast and decisive off his line.

Oblak looks the real deal though. Keeps things simple for a keeper. Good handling. Very good technically. Looks like he's been well coached too. I've heard a few shouts about Lafont in France. Looks decent. But raw. Lots of saves where he's pushing the ball back into play centrally. Not a good trait for a keeper. The clips I've seen of Oblak, he'll make a save, but will pretty much always be mindful to tip it round the post or out wide so the chance of a follow up goal is reduced. It's the little things like this that transform a good keeper into a top quality one.

Recently? We've only ever bought goalkeepers from smaller clubs.

Key word there, decent. How many points do Utd and Chelsea gain from having De Gea and Courtois in goal?

Now i dont know about Allison, but certainly Oblak wouldnt have let in at least 25% of the goals Mignolet and Karius let in. I have no problem what so ever if we met the release clause for Oblak. Its by far the weakest part of our team and its important we adress that. Going from Lovren and Mignolet/Karius to Van Dijk and Oblak would be an incredible improvement and do more good for us than strengthening elsewhere.

We need to sack Achterberg, or it doesn't really matter does it?  Which keeper hasn't he turned to utter shite?

When will people learn that the clubs we buy players from don't matter? There are quality players everywhere. If there's a genius somehow playing for Oxford United, you still sign him.

Even in Toxteth division south?

I get your point but a keeper from a team doing well is generally a good indication of their ability to play in a team on the front foot and having the concentration over 90 minutes when they may only be required once or twice.