You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I wouldn't mind signing a world class player, it seems like we can only keep them for 2 or 3 years anyway.  mane, salah, firmino and sanchez.  Get a partner for keita and tidy up the defence and that could win the league.

I would take Ozil too.  Sanchez and Ozil being on free transfers is the biggest case of negligence I have seen for a long long time.

Sanchez is obviously going to City or another moneybags club, but Ozil is a more realistic target. I do wonder if we are contemplating making a move for him in the summer when he'll be available for free. I think he'd thrive under Klopp.

I wouldn't mind signing a world class player, it seems like we can only keep them for 2 or 3 years anyway.  mane, salah, firmino and sanchez.  Get a partner for keita and tidy up the defence and that could win the league.

I would take Ozil too.  Sanchez and Ozil being on free transfers is the biggest case of negligence I have seen for a long long time.

I have no problem in signing great players mate, especially not on a free. BUT, how free is 'FREE' these days? The whole landscape has changed. a 'free' can bankrupt a club these days and I just don't see Sanchez and especially Ozil as being worth the punt.

I don't like Ozil, I don't think he is good enough, he's one of those players that I see football 'writers' glopping over week in, week out, yet (albeit I don't see THAT much of him) I haven't seen have a good game. I know Ozil must be good as he's played for big teams and is linked with other big clubs, but to me, he looks like an idle, gutless cunt who turns it on now and a again and also looks out of his depth playing for Germany.

As for Sanchez, he isn't the type of player I'd want to go balls deep on to take a real financial chance. He's obviously very good, very good indeed, but he's not a character that I'd break the bank to get for 'free'. Given his age, his attitude and his ethnicity (let's not get racist here. because that isn't the point), he's likely to want a pension plan in sunnier and more cosmopiltan climes than Liverpool.

The Monaco manager is now the latest person there to be talking up selling Lemar. I reckon they fancy shifting him for big money before people forget about him or he has a drop off in form. It doesn’t sound to me like he’s been pulling up any trees this season.

90m seemed to be the narrative in the press in ten summer which does seem like a really laughable amount. It looks to me like they’ve had contact from us and Arsenal and thought they could take the piss but neither clubs are daft. The talk in the press of now wanting 60m is a bit of a drop off. I know this is all paper talk obviously but they aren’t helping it by bringing it up themselves again.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3344780/liverpools-marko-grujic-wanted-by-huddersfield-west-ham-source

Huddersfield Town are one of a number of clubs to have registered an interest in taking Liverpool's Marko Grujic on loan, a source has told ESPN FC.

Grujic has made just three substitute appearances in the Premier League for Liverpool so far this season, with Jurgen Klopp open to the idea of the midfielder temporarily leaving in order to receive regular first-team football.

Championship side Aston Villa are extremely keen on the Serbia international, while West Ham United have also expressed an interest, the source said.

• Upvote 1

The Monaco manager is now the latest person there to be talking up selling Lemar. I reckon they fancy shifting him for big money before people forget about him or he has a drop off in form. It doesn’t sound to me like he’s been pulling up any trees this season.

90m seemed to be the narrative in the press in ten summer which does seem like a really laughable amount. It looks to me like they’ve had contact from us and Arsenal and thought they could take the piss but neither clubs are daft. The talk in the press of now wanting 60m is a bit of a drop off. I know this is all paper talk obviously but they aren’t helping it by bringing it up themselves again.

They're desperate to sell him. He's not worth £60m, let alone £90m. I've been watching him a lot recently and he's nothing special. Bernardo Silva, Martial and Mbappe were the special ones from their team. I'm hoping Arsenal pay the fee instead. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone who doesn’t rate Ozil is mad, isn’t his work rate stats a lot better than it’s made out to be, someone should really check that! And that his running stats per game are higher than Sanchez who’s deemed a work horse by some. Just because Sanchez makes a big song and dance EVERY time he closes someone down or does a sprint people think he works really hard, he pisses me off that literally every single game the oppo keeper will have the ball and there’s no need to go and press but he’ll sprint up the pitch waving his teammates on to join him and when they don’t he stands with his hands on his hips and throws his arms in the arm, the guy is a bad bad bellend.

Anyway back to Ozil, he’d give us creativity like we’ve never had before, he doesn’t score anywhere near enough goals that he talent should and he normally has really high assist numbers but it’s his pass that leads to the assist that he’s really good at, Pirlo says it in his book that he doesn’t have that many assists on his record but it’s usually his pass that assists the assister, the pass that opens up the defence. Ozil can create a pass from any angle, he’s quality. I’ll be gutted if he moves to Utd because he could be the difference for them in the final 3rd which they lack now.

He’d be filling the void Coutinho left in that central midfield left role, with licence to roam forward. He can press well aswell he does it successfully for Germany all the time, it’s just not the way Arsenal play so he’s not really asked to do that. Wenger loves a flair player and Ozil is the ultimate flair player so he probably just wants him on the ball more than working to get it, Klopp would have him running all over the shop within a month. If it’s at all possible we’d be insane to turn him down.

• Upvote 4

They're desperate to sell him. He's not worth £60m, let alone £90m. I've been watching him a lot recently and he's nothing special. Bernardo Silva, Martial and Mbappe were the special ones from their team. I'm hoping Arsenal pay the fee instead. 

He's really good. The problem is that Monaco sold so many players last summer that their season was over before it even started and the remaining players from that side don't give a shit anymore. 

Anyone who doesn’t rate Ozil is mad, isn’t his work rate stats a lot better than it’s made out to be, someone should really check that! And that his running stats per game are higher than Sanchez who’s deemed a work horse by some. Just because Sanchez makes a big song and dance EVERY time he closes someone down or does a sprint people think he works really hard, he pisses me off that literally every single game the oppo keeper will have the ball and there’s no need to go and press but he’ll sprint up the pitch waving his teammates on to join him and when they don’t he stands with his hands on his hips and throws his arms in the arm, the guy is a bad bad bellend.

Anyway back to Ozil, he’d give us creativity like we’ve never had before, he doesn’t score anywhere near enough goals that he talent should and he normally has really high assist numbers but it’s his pass that leads to the assist that he’s really good at, Pirlo says it in his book that he doesn’t have that many assists on his record but it’s usually his pass that assists the assister, the pass that opens up the defence. Ozil can create a pass from any angle, he’s quality. I’ll be gutted if he moves to Utd because he could be the difference for them in the final 3rd which they lack now.

He’d be filling the void Coutinho left in that central midfield left role, with licence to roam forward. He can press well aswell he does it successfully for Germany all the time, it’s just not the way Arsenal play so he’s not really asked to do that. Wenger loves a flair player and Ozil is the ultimate flair player so he probably just wants him on the ball more than working to get it, Klopp would have him running all over the shop within a month. If it’s at all possible we’d be insane to turn him down.

Özil would be absolutely great, when he is on his game he is a beast. And likewise the other way when he is not.

He needs a new challenge and with the players we have upfront here, he'd rack up an insane amount of assists.

Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim has opened the door for Thomas Lemar to leave the club this month.

The Ligue 1 club have always maintained that none of their stars would be leaving the Principality this month.

“We are not in the habit of doing major sales of players (in the winter transfer window),” Jardim said earlier this month.

However, the huge deal that has seen Philippe Coutinho leave Liverpool for Barcelona seems to have changed his mind over the future of the 22-year-old.

Jardim said: “Today, the market is open. You know how crazy the market is. Things happen that even a club like Monaco cannot say no to. It happened to Liverpool (with Coutinho).“

“Things are as they are. The numbers today are incredibly big. Everything can change. The things I can say today are not true tomorrow.

“In the last two transfer windows, last summer and this winter, the numbers have gone up enormously. I still want to keep Lemar. If I stay here for 10 years I want Lemar to stay with me for 10 years.

“He is young, he can still play for 10 years. He has a lot of qualities, I like him a lot.”

Both Liverpool and Arsenal are tracking the winger after both clubs failed with bids to sign the France star in August.

Lemar, who has three goals and four assists this season, turned his back on a move to Arsenal, while Liverpool could not agree a fee with Monaco for the £90million-rated star.

I’ve never watched him but the impression I’m getting from them and the constant press talk that’s exactly what I imagine. They want to cash in while the price is high and they know it won’t stay that way.

I pretty much agree with this. I think Sanchez is massively overrated. Ozil would have a bigger impact on our team. I wouldn’t play him against the big teams because we work best against them with pace and workrate everywhere. Against nearly every other team though we need his guile and passing ability especially to unlock the park the bus teams.

We're not turning him down. We simply cannot attract that level of player. He'll go to United because they can throw £200,000+ a week at him and regale him with stories of joining an adult Disneyland. We'd be better off with someone like Fekir. Someone young and hungry, that's been overlooked by the big clubs. Someone with a chip on their shoulder and a point to prove.

Ozil is a Mourinho glamour signing. It's what they do. Sign players based on their status so they can brag about how great they are, without actually producing greatness on the pitch. They live through their team sheet nowadays.