You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Leipzig will doing well for themselves out of this.

They would have lost Keita for 40m in the summer if we waited.

We wanted to secure him early so payed 57m to seal the deal, but we still need to wait 12 months before he joins properly.

Now we want to throw even more money at them to get him here 6 months early.

I mean if it is the difference between Champions League and Europa then I'm all for it, but it's far from being an efficient use of our money.

And add that to not giving Southampton 60m in the summer for VVD then having to wait 6 months to get him for 75. Moneyballing.

All of that’s true but if we’d sold Coutinho in the summer we wouldn’t have got £146m. And if we tried to buy Salah now, he’d cost a lot more than we paid, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

We wanted to secure him early so payed 57m to seal the deal, but we still need to wait 12 months before he joins properly.

Release clause that kicked in was £48m if Leipzig didn't qualify for CL places next season, according to reports in Germany. I think £53m is what the release clause for Keita is if they do qualify for CL places if memory serves.

We essentially agreed to guarantee them the CL release fee, plus paid them an extra £4m on top to secure it a year early. They were happy enough with that because it meant that instead of threatening to strike that Naby was reasonably happy because his move was guaranteed. Plus there was no uncertainty about whether they were oging to get the extra £5m for CL qualification as it would be guaranteed.

If Naby is indeed kicking up a fuss behind closed doors about wanting to go in January, I could see them considering it, but it would require 1) a lot more than an extra £4m sweetener and 2) that they already have a replacement lined up because Keita is vital to their team and without him they're likely to drop down the table a bit.

I really can't see Leipzig giving in on this. If they had a Klopp as manager who preferred a good settled player to a great unsettled player, then maybe. That's why we sold Coutinho, after all. But I don't think Hassenhuttl and Rangnick are the kind to do that at all, most managers aren't.

Player very keen on #LFC. Monaco no plans to sell in Jan. However, we may see a deal agreed for the summer this month - Ben Smith

Liverpool to test Monaco's resolve over Thomas Lemar transfer with January bid | @johncrossmirror

Monaco are making it clear that they do not want to sell Lemar in January but Liverpool are ready to test their resolve given any encouragement. Lemar is keen on making a switch to Liverpool despite interest from Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal. (@johncrossmirror)

Liverpool will not be held to ransom in January and will not panic if they cannot get a deal done as Klopp believes he already has the talent in his squad for the rest of the campaign. (@johncrossmirror)

Liverpool will continue to monitor developments on Lemar and if they cannot get him now then they are confident of getting him in the summer. (@johncrossmirror)

Liverpool are using the next few days to consider how strongly to pursue their options in the transfer market as they look to replace Philippe Coutinho. (@LivEchoLFC)

Thomas Lemar is believed to be at the top of Liverpool’s list of potential Coutinho replacements. However, Monaco have no intention of selling him midway through the current campaign, so the 22-year-old could become a recruit they chase in the summer. (@LivEchoLFC)

Liverpool are not on the verge of signing Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez. The ECHO understands no approach has been made. (@LivEchoLFC)

No offer has been made for Monaco’s Thomas Lemar and, while Klopp will have received assurances Liverpool will react in the event of a target becoming a feasible option, it seems Lallana, alongside Salah, Firmino, Mané & Oxlade-Chamberlain will take the strain. (Paul Joyce)

Well respected German media outlet, Kicker - suggest Goretzka still hasn't made his mind up yet...

Liverpool will attempt to bring Naby Keita’s move to Anfield forward in an attempt to fill the void left by Philippe Coutinho’s £142 million move to Barcelona, writes @_ChrisBascombe

RB Leipzig are determined to retain Keita as they seek to qualify for next year’s Champions League, but Liverpool would be willing to pay more again to get him this month. (Chris Bascombe)

Keita would rather join Liverpool this month with Leipzig eliminated from the Champions League. If he cannot be secured, Klopp may wait until the summer. However he is keeping all options open. (Chris Bascombe)

Klopp has £142m folllowing the sale of Philippe Coutinho - all of which is available to spend on new recruits. Klopp is ready to move for long-term targets if there is a realistic chance he can get them now. (Chris Bascombe)

Jürgen Klopp will only sign a replacement if the right player becomes available this month and wants to bring forward Keïta’s £57 million move from RB Leipzig which is presently scheduled to come into effect on July 1. (Paul Joyce)

The controversy surrounding the leaked Nike advert, which appeared on websites last Saturday offering Barcelona shirts bearing Coutinho’s name, is understood to have resulted in a change of the terms of the British record deal. (Paul Joyce)

Liverpool would love Naby Keita to come now and are willing to pay Leipzig a premium on top of the £55million fee. Keita, 22, is understood to be keen to move now, but Leipzig will take much persuading, writes @MirrorAnderson

Leipzig are not keen to let Keita go now at such a critical stage of their Bundesliga campaign. Liverpool understand their reservations and ultimately they will be prepared to wait until July 1 when the African midfielder is officially due to join. (@MirrorAnderson)

The Reds are reviewing all of their long-term targets following Coutinho’s departure and will move this month if any become available. However they are adamant they will not be held to ransom with their transfer budget set to be transformed by Coutinho’s fee. (@MirrorAnderson)

@Chris78Williams: Leipzig are not open to letting Naby Keita leave during this window. Europa League challenges and a quest for Champions League qualification through the #Bundesliga far outweigh the departure of any key player in January.

RB Leipzig’s CEO Oliver Mintzlaff : Neither Naby nor his advisor have expressed a desire to leave the club in the winter. There are contracts. And they say his employment starts in Liverpool on July 1st.”

Paul Joyce: #Klopp will have faith in his squad, he has a lot of players but I'm not sure if he'll want to spend now. He may go with what he's got now.

• Upvote 2

So if there's no replacement lined up for this window... Why not do the deal in summer?

If this is really all Klopp's decision then he is taking a colossal risk. But not only is he jeopardising fourth place, it's a risk he didn't have to take at all. There is literally zero benefit in selling Coutinho now, as opposed to keeping him and getting it done in the summer.

If we end up missing out on the Champions League this is gonna be seen as Klopp's "replace Alonso with Gareth Barry" moment.

The zero benefit in selling now is not accurate.

We would have a disheartened player telling everyone he wants to leave, sulking and unsettling the team. His price would have fallen by the summer

You mean like he has since September? His price wouldn't have fallen because it's a world cup year so he couldn't have downed tools. It's a poor decision if he hasn't got someone lined up. No doubt the season will pan out with a load of "what if's" as usual.

The zero benefit in selling now is not accurate.

We would have a disheartened player telling everyone he wants to leave, sulking and unsettling the team. His price would have fallen by the summer

To which we just say, don't worry Phil, the deal's agreed for the summer. You can't leave in January because we can't get a replacement sorted. Because only insane football clubs sell their best players halfway through the season.

• Upvote 2

I’d rather they sign no one than the wrong player.

If Klopp believes he’s got enough then you have to trust him.

They’ve done well with the last 6 signings so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt

I wish Coutinho would have stayed but ultimately if they’ve decided his heads not in it and he won’t be a good influence they have no choice.

I’m sure we’ve all had to work with pricks from time to time and it can be draining

Jesus this stuff with Lemar and Keita just illustrates how fucking insane this whole thing is. "Clubs reluctant to give up their best players halfway through the season". Hmm yeah I wonder fucking why.

Absolute plonkers. I don't care how upset Coutinho was, in a world Cup season he's going to play until the end and give his best. You don't just give him his way because he's crying and pulling a sickie in January. It would have been fine, we'd have had the use of his skills for the cup and league run ins and wed probably have gotten more money out of it, too.

Now we've put our entire season in jeopardy for absolutely no reason at all. Drives me nuts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I mean if it is the difference between Champions League and Europa then I'm all for it, but it's far from being an efficient use of our money.

And add that to not giving Southampton 60m in the summer for VVD then having to wait 6 months to get him for 75. Moneyballing.

To me it just points to the truth of the matter: we didn't have 60M in the summer. Coutinho paid for the VVD transfer and we're much closer to being a sell to buy club than the FSG PR machine wants us to believe. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Why Klopp puts up with it is the big mystery for me.

Jesus this stuff with Lemar and Keita just illustrates how fucking insane this whole thing is. "Clubs reluctant to give up their best players halfway through the season". Hmm yeah I wonder fucking why.

Absolute plonkers. I don't care how upset Coutinho was, in a world Cup season he's going to play until the end and give his best. You don't just give him his way because he's crying and pulling a sickie in January. It would have been fine, we'd have had the use of his skills for the cup and league run ins and wed probably have gotten more money out of it, too.

Now we've put our entire season in jeopardy for absolutely no reason at all. Drives me nuts.

True it doesn't make sense from a footballing perspective. He was undoubtedly a pain in the arse off the pitch but his performances hadn't dropped and I doubt they would have if we'd flatly refused to sell till the summer. We could have given him the clear assurance that a deal would have been done.

The only two possibilities are the club didn't want to risk losing out on a transfer fee of this size and/or Klopp didn't like what was going on behind the scenes.

To be fair its a slightly different set up, as neither Keita or Lemar are inventing injuries or planting negative stories daily.

And we've no idea what was going on within the squad in response to his behaviour. Very few of the first team appear to be wishing him well on his departure.

To me it just points to the truth of the matter: we didn't have 60M in the summer. Coutinho paid for the VVD transfer and we're much closer to being a sell to buy club than the FSG PR machine wants us to believe. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Why Klopp puts up with it is the big mystery for me.

We spent well over £100million in the summer in Keita, Robertson and Chamberlain. There’s money there aside from the Phil cash.

It’s not as if this a rehash of the Moores era and certainly not the same as when H+G were here.

The club is infinitely more richer than it was 18 years ago. A lot down to the TV cash admittedly but also down to the clubs commercial activity, that’s 100% better under FSG.

People scoff at the dunking donuts stuff but it’s that which pays the wages and brings the players in.

We are now back on a par with the Rafa years. Doing ok in Europe and challenging the top 4. It’s took us 8 years to get back to here, such was the damage of H+G and Roy.

We have a bigger stadium and a world class manager at the helm.

If FSG we’re taking money out the club it would show up on the books. It doesn’t! In actual fact they pump money into the club regularly (see the clubs annual accounts)

They are not perfect by any means and have made mistakes (the Rodgers era and the committee) But in 2010 if you’d say to me we’ll be in the position we are now I’d of bit your hand off.

The only alternative to our current ownership model is either a sugar daddy, which morally speaking, is against what this club stands for. Or either Fan ownership, which has worked elsewhere and been relatively successful but it doesn’t exist in the premier league and for the moment, is unattainable for many many reason.

The club has improved and the team has improved. I back the manager and trust the judgment of the owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

You'd have thought with the months since summer and the clear as day signs Coutihno wanted to go that we'd have put something in place instead of our usual reactionary strategy. Just trying to throw even more at Leipzeg smacks of desperation rather then having contingencies for the obvious departure of Coutihno.

Or a sign the club was full on trying to get him to stay until the summer yes?

True it doesn't make sense from a footballing perspective. He was undoubtedly a pain in the arse off the pitch but his performances hadn't dropped and I doubt they would have if we'd flatly refused to sell till the summer. We could have given him the clear assurance that a deal would have been done.

The only two possibilities are the club didn't want to risk losing out on a transfer fee of this size and/or Klopp didn't like what was going on behind the scenes.

Probably a bit of both tbh. I don't buy for a minute all the platitudes the Liverpool journos constantly shower on them about "prudence" and being "determined to spend the money wisely". No doubt their eyes lit up when they saw Barcelona were bidding something more around what they wanted. They probably ran it by Klopp and he was so sick of his unsettledness he gave it the ok to get rid of him.

One thing I think I can say I've learned about Klopp since hes been here is that he's very arrogant. I genuinely think he believes he could make any 11 players work under his coaching. He was arrogant enough to think he could turn last year's dogshit defence into something decent with no new additions, and surprise surprise it didn't work. Now he's arrogant enough to think we can sell the teams creative centre and not replace him and still function as normal. It's not going to work, and I expect our performances to look much like the last 2 games for the rest of the year. Strained and slow.

As for FSG, despite their fantastic media team they are clearly broke. All the evidence points to them not having the money to seriously compete for players without selling on the best ones already here. If City had to sell Aguero to bring in de Bruyne they wouldn't be where they are now. We won't be achieving any of our long term goals unless we get extremely lucky in a Leicester fashion (which I think they're hoping for) or actually put the effort it.

We spent well over £100million in the summer in Keita, Robertson and Chamberlain. There’s money there aside from the Phil cash.

It’s not as if this a rehash of the Moores era and certainly not the same as when H+G were here.

The club is infinitely more richer than it was 18 years ago. A lot down to the TV cash admittedly but also down to the clubs commercial activity, that’s 100% better under FSG.

People scoff at the dunking donuts stuff but it’s that which pays the wages and brings the players in.

We are now back on a par with the Rafa years. Doing ok in Europe and challenging the top 4. It’s took us 8 years to get back to here, such was the damage of H+G and Roy.

We have a bigger stadium and a world class manager at the helm.

If FSG we’re taking money out the club it would show up on the books. It doesn’t! In actual fact they pump money into the club regularly (see the clubs annual accounts)

They are not perfect by any means and have made mistakes (the Rodgers era and the committee) But in 2010 if you’d say to me we’ll be in the position we are now I’d of bit your hand off.

The only alternative to our current ownership model is either a sugar daddy, which morally speaking, is against what this club stands for. Or either Fan ownership, which has worked elsewhere and been relatively successful but it doesn’t exist in the premier league and for the moment, is unattainable for many many reason.

The club has improved and the team has improved. I back the manager and trust the judgment of the owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not for a minute saying that they're as bad as H&G, that we haven't improved or that they didn't employ a good manager.

But they're clearly a lot more of a book balancing outfit than the PR machine has been telling us. And to be fair to them they've done a pretty good job at it for what they are.

But where I have a problem is how misleading they are. They want to draw the wool over our eyes and tell us that their aim to to compete with the big boys. Pull the other one. You don't do that by selling your best player in January, period.

I have no doubts they are capable of keeping us steady and doing reasonably alright for years and years to come. They're decent owners in that respect. But I don't think endless OKness is what me or the vast majority of fans want, and they're not willing to make they sacrifices that will get us to the top.

• Upvote 1

Got to love how people on here think they have a better idea how Coutinho would have behaved if he'd stayed than a manager who actually knows him and has spent days trying to persuade him to give us the rest of the season.

• Upvote 3

Got to love how people on here think they have a better idea how Coutinho would have behaved if he'd stayed than a manager who actually knows him and has spent days trying to persuade him to give us the rest of the season.

Agree the deal for the summer, worst case scenario put him on gardening leave until then if he starts acting like a cunt. Which he won't cos there's a World Cup in summer. Downside is you might lose him for the rest of the season, but guess what, we fucking did that anyway.

Agree the deal for the summer, worst case scenario put him on gardening leave until then if he starts acting like a cunt. Which he won't cos there's a World Cup in summer. Downside is you might lose him for the rest of the season, but guess what, we fucking did that anyway.

you completely ignore, for whatever reason, the negative impact the little fucker would be having on team morale.  Toxic little twat.  That would have been a big factor in Klopp's decision.