You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I've been thinking about this and I still think goalkeeper is just as needed an upgrade as an AM (assuming we're considering Lallana as our top AM now and Mignolet as our top goalkeeper).

How would people feel if we can't get Lemar until the summer but we end the window by bringing in Alisson or Oblak to go with VVD?

I personally would be OK with it. A top goalie to go with van Dijk really goes a long ways to shoring up our main weakness, and if the price to do so is to have to play Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana and Firmino (with Sturridge or Solanke taking his place up front) until May I see some merit in it.

I've been thinking about this and I still think goalkeeper is just as needed an upgrade as an AM (assuming we're considering Lallana as our top AM now and Mignolet as our top goalkeeper).

How would people feel if we can't get Lemar until the summer but we end the window by bringing in Alisson or Oblak to go with VVD?

I personally would be OK with it. A top goalie to go with van Dijk really goes a long ways to shoring up our main weakness, and if the price to do so is to have to play Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana and Firmino (with Sturridge or Solanke taking his place up front) until May I see some merit in it.

SlUPWTz.gif

• Upvote 2

I can't see us getting a new keeper this month personally. We have far too many on our books at the moment (Mignolet, Karius, Ward, Bogdan). Can't imagine anyone coming in unless we move one or two of these on, and I don't really see any indication that the club is planning to do so. It is also arguably the most difficult position to replace, so I doubt many teams will be willing to part with their keepers at this time of the season. I fear we will have to endure at least another five months of Mignolet and Karius.

I went on record the other day saying that there was no chance of Coutinho moving in January so I'm going on record again saying we're gonna sign nobody else in this window.

I for one prey your 100% record stays intact

KEITA COULD JOIN IN JANUARY

Liverpool will attempt to bring new signing Naby Keita's transfer from RB Leipzig forward by six months as they seek to fill the hole left by the departing Phillipe Coutinho, according to the Telegraph.

Keita signed for Liverpool in the summer in a deal worth £57m and the club agreed that the Guinean international would remain with the Bundesliga outfit until the end of the season, but the club are exploring the possibility of making their man available for selection in the January window.

Any revision of the deal struck in the summer would likely involve an additional fee being paid to Leipzig as they chase a second successive season in the Champions League.

That would be shit, because IMO we needed another top quality attacking player even with Coutinho still here. This team has looked toothless when one or two of the 4, now 3 final third players are out, so we already needed one more player in that area of the pitch for decent rotation. Now we need two. The rest of the season isn't likely to go so well otherwise IMO. VVD and a good goalkeeper or not, this team is still based on being quality going forward. It's not a team that is gonna do well looking for a lot of 1-0 victories.

• Upvote 1

KEITA COULD JOIN IN JANUARY

Liverpool will attempt to bring new signing Naby Keita's transfer from RB Leipzig forward by six months as they seek to fill the hole left by the departing Phillipe Coutinho, according to the Telegraph.

Keita signed for Liverpool in the summer in a deal worth £57m and the club agreed that the Guinean international would remain with the Bundesliga outfit until the end of the season, but the club are exploring the possibility of making their man available for selection in the January window.

Any revision of the deal struck in the summer would likely involve an additional fee being paid to Leipzig as they chase a second successive season in the Champions League.

Leipzig will doing well for themselves out of this.

They would have lost Keita for 40m in the summer if we waited.

We wanted to secure him early so payed 57m to seal the deal, but we still need to wait 12 months before he joins properly.

Now we want to throw even more money at them to get him here 6 months early.

I mean if it is the difference between Champions League and Europa then I'm all for it, but it's far from being an efficient use of our money.

And add that to not giving Southampton 60m in the summer for VVD then having to wait 6 months to get him for 75. Moneyballing.

We wanted to secure him early so payed 57m to seal the deal, but we still need to wait 12 months before he joins properly.

I mean if it is the difference between Champions League and Europa then I'm all for it, but it's far from being an efficient use of our money.

And add that to not giving Southampton 60m in the summer for VVD then having to wait 6 months to get him for 75. Moneyballing.

All very true, Aventus , but the way values have gone through the roof since the Neymar transfer I think the paper value of Keita will have increased significantly , so I don't think we will be massively bothered about another £5m or so. We were allegedly being quoted £60m for Mahrez so that still makes Keita a snip at @ £62m,

All very true, Aventus , but the way values have gone through the roof since the Neymar transfer I think the paper value of Keita will have increased significantly , so I don't think we will be massively bothered about another £5m or so. We were allegedly being quoted £60m for Mahrez so that still makes Keita a snip at @ £62m,

True that his paper value would have increased but it still would have been 40m release clause. I am glad we secured him though. Likewise with Virgil, considering at the beginning of the summer both clubs were adamant they weren't selling.

Just wonder what could have happened if straight away we slapped all the the cash on the table Everton style.

I don't think we were confident that we would win the chase if we let it go to the release clause this coming summer , so I think it was a smart move to pay the extra £15m or so , as using a similarly aged up & coming midfielder as a barometer , Lemar is talked of in the £80/ £90m bracket.

You'd have thought with the months since summer and the clear as day signs Coutihno wanted to go that we'd have put something in place instead of our usual reactionary strategy. Just trying to throw even more at Leipzeg smacks of desperation rather then having contingencies for the obvious departure of Coutihno.

• Upvote 1

Seleção Brasileira @BrazilStat 9h

I don't know how true this could be, but there has been several media outlets from Italy, England and now Brazil linking Alisson with Liverpool. IMO, the club going after him would make sense because he has the characteristics to fill in the needs.

11 replies . 37 retweets 142 likes

Seleção Brasileira @BrazilStat 9h

Again, I don't know how credible this could be but the journalist is based in Porto Alegre and claims to be an Internacional insider - which is the mother club for #Alisson. If he moves to Liverpool, Inter would receive 2.5% of the transfer fee.

6 replies . 30 retweets 98 likes

Hi mate. All I know is they are negotiating. That’s a fact. But it doesn’t mean the transfer will be done, you know how it works.

Does anyone know how long Klopp is in Dubai for? I know deals can be done without involving the manager bit surely he likes to talk to the player before signing, about the club's ambitions, his role, his character etc?