You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Arsenal have already lost their best player this month, and Wenger is still their manager.

Whatever about the mess we've made in not replacing Coutinho, I'm not sure I'd be holding them up as shining examples in this window.

Lost their best player maybe but they have gone out and bought a great goalscorer and a misused player used to playing with him
  • Upvote 1

Might be time to lump on Newcastle to go down. I wonder if the club are waiting on Sturridges wages being off the balance sheet before buying?

George Caulkin

@CaulkinTheTimes

Newcastle United are in talks to sign Daniel Sturridge on loan from Liverpool. Rafa Benítez has turned to Sturridge after Newcastle failed to meet Feyenoord’s valuation for Nicolai Jorgensen

Said the other day that Sturridge would be a decent deal for Newcastle rather than blowing 20m on some Dutch guy who would just be getting used to the Prem as they got relegated. Sturridge wouldn’t be expected to run at all just put in the sitters that Gayle and Joselu miss most weeks.

Said the other day that Sturridge would be a decent deal for Newcastle rather than blowing 20m on some Dutch guy who would just be getting used to the Prem as they got relegated. Sturridge wouldn’t be expected to run at all just put in the sitters that Gayle and Joselu miss most weeks.

Wouldn't he have to actually move to get end of those chances though? Bit of a flaw in the plan there.

He has to be on the pitch and 100% mentally and physically for that to happen. I guess their rationale is if he could make the difference in 3-4 games of the ones he's ready for.

Aubameyang and Mikhytaryan are decentt replacements for Sanchez and Ozil. But those positions have never been their problem in the first place.

Their lack of balls have been. And now u could argue they are replacing one of the few players they have that isnt a closet cross dresser with a player that has serious attitude problems.

It's rediculous if we don't buy anyone.

We may as well sign nobody else next summer as well, seeing as how we're in such great shape. Genuinely, if it's true now then it's true in 6 months.

Aside from needing to replace Coutinho, and aside from needing to replace Sturridge, and aside from needing to replace our keepers, and aside from needing to replace the departing Emre Can, and aside from needing someone to offer even minimal cover as a pacy sub to Mane or Salah, we don't need anyone.

This is what Klopp is saying. When Mane or Salah get injured, or Mane has a dip in form, the closest approximation as a replacement is Sheyi Ojo, who is on loan at Fulham. So, we're looking at Harry Wilson, or Bobby Adekanye.

You're a fucking loon Jurgen.

I agree its lunacy to not sign someone this transfer window. Minimum a loan deal. No confidence at all in anyone if Firminho, Mane or Salah gets injured besides from Lallana who clearly cant be counted on.

• Upvote 1

Aubameyang and Mikhytaryan are decentt replacements for Sanchez and Ozil. But those positions have never been their problem in the first place.

Their lack of balls have been. And now u could argue they are replacing one of the few players they have that isnt a closet cross dresser with a player that has serious attitude problems.

Thats true but the idea of losing your best player and then going out and buying 2 very good players with the money you got for him is pretty sound logic.

Not like another club I can think of that's sold it's best player and for some reason wants to wait till the summer to do something and just wing it in the league and hope for the best.

• Upvote 2

If Arsenal pull off Aubameyang (oo-er) then fair play to them. They've lost Sanchez (albeit he wasn't giving 100% anyway), but they've kept hold of Ozil until the summer and are near to having two new players who've previously had a good attacking understanding. Whether it's big club mentality or not, it's definitely trying to address the weakness caused by Sanchez's departure and they'll have done it without CL football, but probably have sold the promise of it.

• Upvote 1

paul joyce @_pauljoyce

Klopp: Phil Coutinho is not to replace in this transfer window. It is not about replacing anyone, it is about using our own tools, tactics, formations and stuff

paul joyce @_pauljoyce 

Klopp: "In the long term we will do a lot (of transfers). In the short term I don't think we will do a lot"

paul joyce @_pauljoyce

Klopp: Phil Coutinho is not to replace in this transfer window. It is not about replacing anyone, it is about using our own tools, tactics, formations and stuff

paul joyce @_pauljoyce

Klopp: "In the long term we will do a lot (of transfers). In the short term I don't think we will do a lot"

Well we certainly have plenty of 'Tools' in our squad.

• Upvote 3

paul joyce @_pauljoyce

paul joyce @_pauljoyce

Stuff is sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul joyce @_pauljoyce

paul joyce @_pauljoyce 

Terrible thing to say. I can only see trouble ahead for Klopp when we lose on champions league football next season. Astounding he cannot realize that the tools at his disposal are not good enough for us to make progress. I thought he would know better than that.

• Upvote 3