You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Sahin couldn’t quite cut it for Madrid and us. That’s the fact.

That’s pretty daft, and certainly not the entire story.

For us he was too slow and wasn’t good enough defensively, hence Rodgers playing him as a no 10

No. This is wrong. He was played there twice and was his only good performances for us. He was just played out of position. He absolutely lost two yards of pace from the injury that halted his Madrid career. Not fast enough to be a right winger or 10. But play Didi there and see how he does.

Admittedly, I didn’t really watch that much of Dortmund, other than CL games I must admit.

So why pretend to be an authority on his time there? It’s daft and inaccurate. Sahin was brilliant for Dortmund at a time they were right as a ducks ass and beating Bayern to the title.

Stick to breakfasts, brother.

That’s pretty daft, and certainly not the entire story.

For us he was too slow and wasn’t good enough defensively, hence Rodgers playing him as a no 10

No. This is wrong. He was played there twice and was his only good performances for us. He was just played out of position. He absolutely lost two yards of pace from the injury that halted his Madrid career. Not fast enough to be a right winger or 10. But play Didi there and see how he does.

So why pretend to be an authority on his time there? It’s daft and inaccurate. Sahin was brilliant for Dortmund at a time they were right as a ducks ass and beating Bayern to the title.

Stick to breakfasts, brother.

I didn’t pretend anything, I gave my opinion of what I saw of them and Sahin since.

We can all name a number of players who would instantly improve the team, that is not the problem.  My concern is that we aren't going after anyone.  There are now 266 pages of names with arguments for and against each one.  It doesn't matter.

The team is clearly not good enough in a number of positions to mount a credible challenge perhaps even for top 4 and we, as a club, are not wanting or willing to do anything to address this either through permanent or loan signings.

We appear to be no good at identifying potential targets, effective scouting, negotiating or completing the deal or perhaps it's just about managing expectations.

• Upvote 1

All defenders are capable of making costly mistakes. I’ve used Vidic as an example enough times here. He got destroyed time and again against us. Got sent off twice. Yet at the time he was the best defender in the world. Lovren isn’t near as good a defender asVidic was, but he’s a good enough defender. He’s proactive and aggressive.

Clutching mate, lovren is shite.

Why is Klopp not interested in Aubameyang?

He explained why in the past. He said it would bore him to coach a player he has already coached in the past, as it wouldn’t be new or exciting to develop a player he has already developed.

Sounds like another episode of wham from Klopp though for me. He tried to sign Gotze. So i reckon he just doesn’t fancy him as a player, but he wouldn’t say that in public.

I know all about vidic and he was in a different stratosphere to lovren. Of course everyone makes mistakes but it is clear for everyone to see that certain players are shit.

Mignolet, lovren, moreno should never ever start for us again. Others are getting close too.

If we ever want to win anything we need to buy some question marks.

?

Clyne ? Vvd robertson

Keita ?

Mane Bobby salah

?

I wouldnt say those full backs are top level either but i have high hopes for robertson.

I know all about vidic and he was in a different stratosphere to lovren. Of course everyone makes mistakes but it is clear for everyone to see that certain players are shit.

Mignolet, lovren, moreno should never ever start for us again. Others are getting close too.

If we ever want to win anything we need to buy some question marks.

?

Clyne ? Vvd robertson

Keita ?

Mane Bobby salah

?

I wouldnt say those full backs are top level either but i have high hopes for robertson.

Of course Lovren isnt as good as Vidic was, and I never claimed that. My point is even the best defenders make mistakes. Fuck, we scored three goals against arguably the best back four the world has ever seen in 2005. Lovren is having a good season. He had a poor game against the best striker in the world in October, but he has been good since.

Lovren has too many games where actually costs us the game, at his best he looks great but the swings in his performance are ridiculous, in past 15 months he has cost us games Palace at home last season, Sevilla at home this, Spurs away, shite against Leicester away and that's just off the the top of my head.

Lovren has too many games where actually costs us the game, at his best he looks great but the swings in his performance are ridiculous, in past 15 months he has cost us games Palace at home last season, Sevilla at home this, Spurs away, shite against Leicester away and that's just off the the top of my head.

So this season just Sevilla and Spurs then? Also worth noting whilst he was crap at Wembley, we conceded the same number of goals with him on the pitch and with him off it that day. Look I’m not saying he’s the answer, I want him upgraded eventually, but he’s the best of the rest IMO.

I weirdly like klavan the best of the other 3. He's the most limited of the 3, but he also understands those limitations and tries to defend within his skill set. He doesn't make as many random clangers as the other 2. Personally I think if you're building defensive structure, if you have someone reliable but maybe limited, you can account for it and try to cover those limitations. You can't account for weird wild shite lovren does, or the games where matip just seems to completely switch off.

• Upvote 1

I weirdly like klavan the best of the other 3. He's the most limited of the 3, but he also understands those limitations and tries to defend within his skill set. He doesn't make as many random clangers as the other 2. Personally I think if you're building defensive structure, if you have someone reliable but maybe limited, you can account for it and try to cover those limitations. You can't account for weird wild shite lovren does, or the games where matip just seems to completely switch off.

All of them are capable of playing a decent game or having a mare but if had to choose it would be Matip, Get a proper keeper then take stock