You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp won't green light a move for Thomas Lemar unless Monaco drop their valuation.

The Liverpool Echo says Klopp is reluctant to spend £90million on Lemar.

The Monaco midfielder has long been a target for the Anfield club and their interest has been fueled by the departure of Philippe Coutinho.

But Klopp is not prepared to stump up the huge sum being demanded by the principality club.

Lemar remains of interest, but it could be the summer until a deal is struck.

Reports on Wednesday suggested terms have already been agreed with the player.

Anyone notice the difference in language. Big transfer happens it's FSG. Player wants to leave or price not met It gets phrased as Klopp refuses to sanction deal wants player gone etc as a key part of the language.

James Pearce

@JamesPearceEcho

FSG showing the ambition fans crave with Van Dijk deal as they bankroll Klopp’s vision #LFC

• Upvote 1

I think Arsenal bumped up the Lemar price at the end of the summer window when they thought Sanchez was going. That was a good £20M+ more than we were going to pay. So Monaco feel the bar has been set, while we want to pay closer to 60-70.

Besides a snippet for Monaco last season, I’ve only see him play for France where he looked very good. Not as skillful as Coutinho but a good player.

I think I’d prefer Pulisic, but either player would add quality depth to our options going forward, and we need that. I’d go for the one that we can complete in January, if possible.