You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I trust Jurgen and accept that sometimes patience is a virtue , but the worry is that football's transfer market is going that fast these days that when you have made your mind up on a target you have to get the deal done even if you pay a premium. The way we are doing it we may get our targets in the summer but our own players are also a moveable feast and it's pointless in a playing sense finally getting Keita etc. if Salah disappears at the same time.

If Salah and anyone else in our squad are already thinking of jetting off to Real especially after one season and are not prepared to give 4 or 5 seasons to the club and Jurgen they can do one and I would happily drive them to Liverpool John Lennon myself.

• Upvote 1

Not suggesting Salah is looking for a way out already but we are kidding ourselves if we think that good players will wait for 4 or 5 Years not winning anything and dicking in and out of the No Hoper League waiting for FSG and Jurgen to get their ducks in a row.

No I was not suggesting you were. Why do people on this forum always draw a conclusion like this. What happened to debate. I am just giving my opinion on something you said. Not sure I agree we are kidding ourselves thinking a player should not hang around for 4 or 5 seasons based on where we are. Any player coming here and expecting overnight success with Jurgen must be off their head. I am sure Jurgen tells them he is building for the long term. In other words 3 or 4 seasons and beyond. If they do not or cannot commit to that then do not sign.

Please buy someone. Anyone. Need a transfer fix close to deadline day. 

Nope. Not anyone. We have done this buying anyone and they turn to shit. Better to keep our powder dry and buy who we really need to improve the team.  I am sick of this desire to buy anyone just to appease fans desire to spend and thank goodness we now have a manager who will not do that.

• Upvote 1

I thought I was debating d s . I hope you are right about players buying into Jurgens vision but I am a bit more cynical with modern footballers it would seem and particularly the malevolent influences of agents. I think we might have more chance with British players staying put.

No I was not suggesting you were. Why do people on this forum always draw a conclusion like this. What happened to debate. I am just giving my opinion on something you said. Not sure I agree we are kidding ourselves thinking a player should not hang around for 4 or 5 seasons based on where we are. Any player coming here and expecting overnight success with Jurgen must be off their head. I am sure Jurgen tells them he is building for the long term. In other words 3 or 4 seasons and beyond. If they do not or cannot commit to that then do not sign.

It can be a short career.  Why would any player want to forego four years of it (and beyond) when other clubs can offer more instant success?  I really hope that our sales pitch isn't "wait four years and we'll be great", and I don't think it will be. 

It can be a short career.  Why would any player want to forego four years of it (and beyond) when other clubs can offer more instant success?  I really hope that our sales pitch isn't "wait four years and we'll be great", and I don't think it will be. 

Come on. Jurgen is not going to sell the club to any player by saying wait 4 years etc. But he is going to say how he is building the team strengthening it and help them develop into better players. Like I said, if any of our current or future players want instant success then they better sign for City PSG Juventus or Bayern. And good riddance to them.

It's as simple as this, if we don't buy an average striker or midfielder now, then we'll not be able to get in a world class keeper, defender, midfielder and forward in the summer.

If we don't secure 4th place then we're back to the drawing board in terms of targets.

If we buy, eg, Mahrez or Ndidi now, then we will likely get the likes of Allison, Brandt and Lemar in the summer.

If we don't buy now, then we're shopping for Butland and Zaha.

• Upvote 2

It's as simple as this, if we don't buy an average striker or midfielder now, then we'll not be able to get in a world class keeper, defender, midfielder and forward in the summer.

If we don't secure 4th place then we're back to the drawing board in terms of targets.

If we buy, eg, Mahrez or Ndidi now, then we will likely get the likes of Allison, Brandt and Lemar in the summer.

If we don't buy now, then we're shopping for Butland and Zaha.

What tosh.

I don't think it is a stretch to say that if we don't get a top 4 place we will be less attractive to players in the summer.

The mancs managed to not have it be a problem because players saw them as 1 year out of it in 20 and an anomaly - we are closer to it being other way around it being an anomaly us being in it....we need a good five years on the bounce in it to help us build our profile up more.

• Upvote 3

If Salah and anyone else in our squad are already thinking of jetting off to Real especially after one season and are not prepared to give 4 or 5 seasons to the club and Jurgen they can do one and I would happily drive them to Liverpool John Lennon myself.

Four or five seasons hahahah. Yeah sure Jurgen ill wait for an entire third of my career for you to decide you want to challenge for honors and jib off Madrid in the process.

Four or five seasons hahahah. Yeah sure Jurgen ill wait for an entire third of my career for you to decide you want to challenge for honors and jib off Madrid in the process.

You see that is where you make the mistake. When someone says they are building something you and a few others equate that to mean whatever it is is not built until the 4 or 5 years is up. And that is not the case. You do not win the Champions League without first qualifying. How come City have not won the CL yet. Because they have been building towards it. It does not happen overnight even with their shitloads of money. They started winning the FA and FL cups built on that to win the PL title and qualify for the CL.

You see that is where you make the mistake. When someone says they are building something you and a few others equate that to mean whatever it is is not built until the 4 or 5 years is up. And that is not the case. You do not win the Champions League without first qualifying. How come City have not won the CL yet. Because they have been building towards it. It does not happen overnight even with their shitloads of money. They started winning the FA and FL cups built on that to win the PL title and qualify for the CL.

I agree with the way City have / are going about it, but selling your best player in January does not suggest we are building though, just treading water.

Why would he realistically stick around at a club that must sell to buy and that hasn't won anything in years. 

Has anything this year showed that the club want to change that?

If spurs could just do us all a favour and fuck off and not qualify. They've the most to lose if they don't qualify. Massive debt of the new stadium,ambitious players on not great wages in the grand scheme of things and an ambitious sought after manager.

Spurs are the team most on the precipice, that's for sure.

Levy's choices of managers have been erratic at best. This is the same man who gave us Tim Sherwood, after all. So if Pochettino goes they could be in serious trouble.

If he makes another bad managerial choice (and I don't see him luring someone like Simeone) they will drop like a stone. Kane will be gone, no question. And right behind him will be Alli, Son, Alderweireld, Eriksen, etc.

Really hope they're the ones to go. And then Real Madrid do us a favour and hire Pochettino. (And while you're at it, Madrid, go and finally buy De Gea already as well.)

• Upvote 1