You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Sometimes it is just about doing a job in the short term to help achieve something then put the permanent fix in place.

It is all well and good saying 'would rather have Solanke' but Solanke has scored zero goals and whilst he may be a talent for the future he does not look ready yet..

If a 'yesterdays man' who knows what it is all about came and sat on the bench until the end of the season and chipped in with 4 goals on the run in and came on and just used his nous and experience to help us see a game out by holding the ball up etc and that helped us get 4th rather than 5th or 6th wouldn't it be worth it....

That 4th place finish means we could buy better for next season - the 5th or 6th might mean we can't.

To me that could be better than hoping a kid without a goal to his name comes good when needed/asked.

Sometimes it is just about doing a job in the short term to help achieve something then put the permanent fix in place.

It is all well and good saying 'would rather have Solanke' but Solanke has scored zero goals and whilst he may be a talent for the future he does not look ready yet..

If a 'yesterdays man' who knows what it is all about came and sat on the bench until the end of the season and chipped in with 4 goals on the run in and came on and just used his nous and experience to help us see a game out by holding the ball up etc and that helped us get 4th rather than 5th or 6th wouldn't it be worth it....

That 4th place finish means we could buy better for next season - the 5th or 6th might mean we can't.

To me that could be better than hoping a kid without a goal to his name comes good when needed/asked.

And the point is you would be falling out of your tree if we were linked with Carroll, Benteke and Crouch at this stage of their careers. In other words it is just because Chelsea are sniffing around these. And like i said if Chelsea had perhaps been prepared to pay Solanke a bit more, he would still be there and these others not getting a mention. The way I see it is the players mentioned with the exception of Dzeko would be a backwards step for the club.

I guess waiting for your preffered targets has its merits.

Hope Klopp doesnt apply it when out for a meal with his wife.......

Klopp: Hmm... I will have the Lamb please

Waiter:: Sorry sir, we are out of Lamb, not getting any until next week

Klopp: Hmmmm. Could I pay for the lamb now and have it next week?

Waiter: Ummm..I guess

Klopp: Great. I will have my dinner next week. Get your coat darling, we are going home

Klopp waits for funds, not targets. Please stop this nonsense.

It only takes half a brain cell to realise grossly over paying a fee of 75m buys van Dijk any day of the year.

And the point is you would be falling out of your tree if we were linked with Carroll, Benteke and Crouch at this stage of their careers. In other words it is just because Chelsea are sniffing around these. And like i said if Chelsea had perhaps been prepared to pay Solanke a bit more, he would still be there and these others not getting a mention. The way I see it is the players mentioned with the exception of Dzeko would be a backwards step for the club.

Aubameyang is available. We would’ve won the game with a proper no 9 IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What part of coming in and doing a short term job don't you get? We aren't talking about even mid term here, just someone to offer cover to a threadbare bench and as I say maybe make a difference until we can get in better.

I'd much rather have someone who is proven to be able to score goals at this level sitting on the bench if needed than someone without one - are those names especially appealing and even suited to our play? No - I don't think they are but would I like to see us add someone experienced and proven to back up our front 3? Yes, yes I would....I think it would be a good idea.

The only way we get a striker in is If Sturridge goes. We’re not bringing another wage in while we’ve already got 5 no 9’s.

I see that assassin faced baby ex manc wants out of West Ham as the winner who never wins won’t pick him. We could do a lot worse than see if we can take him on loan until the summer with an Italian style imaginary option to buy included. Would have been a good option to bring off the bench in a game like last nights, which we can expect to see more of now after the formula 1 comments.

What part of coming in and doing a short term job don't you get? We aren't talking about even mid term here, just someone to offer cover to a threadbare bench and as I say maybe make a difference until we can get in better.

I'd much rather have someone who is proven to be able to score goals at this level sitting on the bench if needed than someone without one - are those names especially appealing and even suited to our play? No - I don't think they are but would I like to see us add someone experienced and proven to back up our front 3? Yes, yes I would....I think it would be a good idea.

What part of short term dont I get? You mean the short term solutions we have put up with for years like Jones, NGog, Bellamy, Kean and the like? You keep going on about a threadbare bench.That the same bench that had Lallana, TAA, Milner, Klavan, Ings and Solanke on it? OK Ings and Solanke have not got many goals no surprise seeing as they have not played a lot. To be fair to Ings, he looked sharper than any of the front 3 when he came on.

The only way we get a striker in is If Sturridge goes. We’re not bringing another wage in while we’ve already got 5 no 9’s.

I see that assassin faced baby ex manc wants out of West Ham as the winner who never wins won’t pick him. We could do a lot worse than see if we can take him on loan until the summer with an Italian style imaginary option to buy included. Would have been a good option to bring off the bench in a game like last nights, which we can expect to see more of now after the formula 1 comments.

It is a brilliant analogy the Swansea manager has come up with and one that is going to catch on like no ones business.

We need to shove it back down the throats of the media who are going to use it to beat us to fuck with and we have two perfect opportunities to do so in our next two games against teams who will deploy operation Blakey!!

What part of short term dont I get? You mean the short term solutions we have put up with for years like Jones, NGog, Bellamy, Kean and the like? You keep going on about a threadbare bench.That the same bench that had Lallana, TAA, Milner, Klavan, Ings and Solanke on it? OK Ings and Solanke have not got many goals no surprise seeing as they have not played a lot. To be fair to Ings, he looked sharper than any of the front 3 when he came on.

Yeah thats the bench - it is threadbare.

As for the short term thing, I just don't understand why you would have a problem with a half season loan deal or one year deal for an experienced player given the situation we are in with a broken down and useless Sturridge, a kid without a single goal and a lad who hasn't kicked a ball hardly in over 2 years as our attacking back up..

This is just a suggestion until Klopp can add the proper option he wants in Summer.

I'll ask again -let's say add and it helps gets top 4 don't add and persevere with the hopeless back up we have and get 5th or 6th...Isn't it worth a small insurance policy to stop this happening?

Fuck off Sturridge and his 150k a week and get in a player who could actually come on for example.

The wildcard in this could actually be Ings to be fair but it is risky.

We'll see won't we.

Yeah thats the bench - it is threadbare.

As for the short term thing, I just don't understand why you would have a problem with a half season loan deal or one year deal for an experienced player given the situation we are in with a broken down and useless Sturridge, a kid without a single goal and a lad who hasn't kicked a ball hardly in over 2 years as our attacking back up..

This is just a suggestion until Klopp can add the proper option he wants in Summer.

I'll ask again -let's say add and it helps gets top 4 don't add and persevere with the hopeless back up we have and get 5th or 6th...Isn't it worth a small insurance policy to stop this happening?

Fuck off Sturridge and his 150k a week and get in a player who could actually come on for example.

OK mate, taking those players you mentioned how much a week do you think they would want to sit on our bench and get the chance here and there to play when the team hits a brick wall like it did last night. £70k, £80k, £90k even. Not going to happen mate. Besides how many goals has Crouchie got. benteke could not hit a barn door. Carroll always injured. So what other short term strikers are out there who will be willing to sit on our bench in the hope the team has a shit time and they get a game.

It is a brilliant analogy the Swansea manager has come up with and one that is going to catch on like no ones business.

We need to shove it back down the throats of the media who are going to use it to beat us to fuck with and we have two perfect opportunities to do so in our next two games against teams who will deploy operation Blakey!!

A half decent driver sees the congestion ahead and works a away around it

OK mate, taking those players you mentioned how much a week do you think they would want to sit on our bench and get the chance here and there to play when the team hits a brick wall like it did last night. £70k, £80k, £90k even. Not going to happen mate. Besides how many goals has Crouchie got. benteke could not hit a barn door. Carroll always injured. So what other short term strikers are out there who will be willing to sit on our bench in the hope the team has a shit time and they get a game.

How much a week? Less than Sturridge gets for playing FIFA 2018 on his xbox!!

Our front 3 can't and won't be able to play all the time as we fight on 3 fronts still after Jan - all I am saying is it might be an idea to see if we can add...

I appreciate Klopp can tweak system etc utilise AOC or Lallana in a tweaked system and it may work.

Just seems that with the loss of Coutinho being so linked to our options and how our front men perform that his loss needs covering for somehow - and no i am not just saying had we had him last night it would have been different as we know he has played when we have suffered nights like last night.

But over next 5 mths being one key attacking player down and having no direct replacement or even as being discussed here other different option to go to in attack is a worry IMO.

End of the day, pal - we are all LFC fans and we all want the best for the reds don't we and want to win - we are all full of opinion and we do and will disagree on things but it is all debate isn't it...debate this place would be dead without and what makes it a place we all enjoy visiting.

I remember as soon as we signed VVD it was " see we spent money " a lot said see if Coutinho is still here at the end of the month, he was gone in a week or two. Cannot be denied, defended by some, but not denied. Until we start keeping our best players we will always be treading water, without even thinking about buying others.

• Upvote 2

“Klopp has identified his number one targets and won’t settle for less. I trust in the manager and I would rather we didn’t waste money on secondary choice”

“I’m so glad we bought Mane and Salah, despite neither being Klopp’s first choice targets.”

Our two best transfers under this manager are players that weren’t his first choice. He is on record, repeatedly, mentioning that they were identified through the ‘good work’ of the wider recruitment team (whatever that may mean). Gotze, Dahoud, Pulisic, Draxler, etc. we’re the players he wanted initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk