You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

United sign a world class footballer, and folk on here are vilifying them for the financial outlay on a 29 year old. FSG have so successfully engineered the debate around our transfer business that our rivals are mocked for spending money. "Haha, they'll never win the Net Spend Cup with that attitude". Yeah, £142m, great, but a sack of money never scored a goal.

The orchestrated PR campaign by FSG has been very successful.

Super-fans line up to berate fellow supporters for wanting the squad improved, truly astonishing. Whilst constantly sneering at clubs with ambition the mind boggles.

• Upvote 2

The orchestrated PR campaign by FSG has been very successful.

Super-fans line up to berate fellow supporters for wanting the squad improved, truly astonishing. Whilst constantly sneering at clubs with ambition the mind boggles.

I tend to find the fans calling others super fans are in fact the 'super fans.'

I guess waiting for your preffered targets has its merits.

Hope Klopp doesnt apply it when out for a meal with his wife.......

Klopp: Hmm... I will have the Lamb please

Waiter:: Sorry sir, we are out of Lamb, not getting any until next week

Klopp: Hmmmm. Could I pay for the lamb now and have it next week?

Waiter: Ummm..I guess

Klopp: Great. I will have my dinner next week. Get your coat darling, we are going home

Waiter: Hold on a second Mister Klopp. Your boss has just called and said you have to eat this McDonalds burger right now and pay 90m pounds for it.

Klopp: That’s ridiculous and anyway if I eat this McDonalds burger now though I won’t be able to afford my lamb later and I’ll go home hungry anyway because the burger won’t fill me up.

Fellow diner: Your boss is shit. He should have forced you to eat the burger because some guys on the internet told him to. Even if you were really good at your job and it ended up meaning you left the job.

Waiter: Hold on a second Mister Klopp. Your boss has just called and said you have to eat this McDonalds burger right now and pay 90m pounds for it.

Klopp: That’s ridiculous and anyway if I eat this McDonalds burger now though I won’t be able to afford my lamb later and I’ll go home hungry anyway because the burger won’t fill me up.

Fellow diner: Your boss is shit. He should have forced you to eat the burger because some guys on the internet told him to. Even if you were really good at your job and it ended up meaning you left the job.

Ahhh.

I thought my analogy was fucking mental

Can we pay for the lamb in the summer and eat it the summer after?

Food analogies aside, for whatever reason it appears as though the club has decided not to bring in anyone else. It's a bet that what we have now will be enough to get the job done (whatever that means to the club these days). Time will tell if it's the right call, it seems thin margins on the face of it but we'll see.

Food analogies aside, for whatever reason it appears as though the club has decided not to bring in anyone else. It's a bet that what we have now will be enough to get the job done (whatever that means to the club these days). Time will tell if it's the right call, it seems thin margins on the face of it but we'll see.

It wouldnt be fun if it was easy.

Five teams are vying for three spots. Of the five we have the poorest record in recent years of qualifying for the CL. Last season we made top four and this season is all about consolidating that, in the hope that we have a platform to build from as we get stronger.

Selling a top creative player mid season seems crazy, especially without a replacement coming in to boost our options in the final third.

The window is still open but we are rightly concerned.

While nothing is guaranteed, you would think that with Coutinho we could look at second spot. Without, we are looking over our shoulders to hang on to fourth.

Just seems like an unnecessary risk.

• Upvote 3

Of the five we have the best excuses.

Figures released today.

Deloitte Football Money League

2016-17 revenue in £m (v 2015-16 revenue)
1) Manchester United 581.2 (515.3)
2) Real Madrid 579.7 (463.8)
3) Barcelona 557.1 (463.8)
4) Bayern Munich 505.1 (442.7)
5) Manchester City 453.5 (392.6)
6) Arsenal 419 (350.4)
7) PSG 417.8 (389.6)
8) Chelsea 367.8 (334.6)
9) Liverpool 364.5 (302)
10) Juventus 348.6 (253.5)
11) Tottenham 305.6 (209.2)
12) Borussia Dortmund 285.8 (212.3)
13) Atlético Madrid 234.2 (171)~
14) Leicester City 233 (128.7)
15) Internazionale 225.2 (134)
16) Schalke 197.8 (167.9)
17) West Ham 183.3 (143.8)
18) Southampton 182.3 (124.3)
19) Napoli 172.5 (107.8)
20) Everton 171.2 (121.5)

Why do people say the club has decided not to bring anyone in despite there still being 7 days left in the window. Are they trying to suggest Jurgen is not involved in that decision.

I said it "appears as though". That's based on what Klopp said in his presser and the absence of any stories from journos naming targets with bid figures attached. I think the club made a serious effort to bring in Keita early, but since that went nowhere we haven't been seriously linked with anyone. Also when I reference "the club" it includes Klopp. I didn't single out FSG.

Figures released today.

Deloitte Football Money League

2016-17 revenue in £m (v 2015-16 revenue)
1) Manchester United 581.2 (515.3)
2) Real Madrid 579.7 (463.8)
3) Barcelona 557.1 (463.8)
4) Bayern Munich 505.1 (442.7)
5) Manchester City 453.5 (392.6)
6) Arsenal 419 (350.4)
7) PSG 417.8 (389.6)
8) Chelsea 367.8 (334.6)
9) Liverpool 364.5 (302)
10) Juventus 348.6 (253.5)
11) Tottenham 305.6 (209.2)
12) Borussia Dortmund 285.8 (212.3)
13) Atlético Madrid 234.2 (171)~
14) Leicester City 233 (128.7)
15) Internazionale 225.2 (134)
16) Schalke 197.8 (167.9)
17) West Ham 183.3 (143.8)
18) Southampton 182.3 (124.3)
19) Napoli 172.5 (107.8)
20) Everton 171.2 (121.5)

We've made Southampton into one of Europe's giants. Some appreciation from their fans would be nice.

• Upvote 1