You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

The mancs sold Mikhytarian or whatever the fuck his name is...

There's an easy way to remember, which Funnneeeee taught me.  First part is "Mk", that's easy because it's only two letters.  Next is "hit" as in your wife.  The final part is "aryan" as in the master race.  Mkhitaryan. 

As for "Funnneeeee" himself, that one's easy too - three "n"s and five "e"s.

Bad day at the office today.

Legitimate concerns over letting Coutinho go and not signing a replacement cast a shadow over results like this. Top four is still very much in our own hands, but we have made it a lot harder for ourselves than we needed to.

I can only hope we strengthen some more in the final third or the Coutinho decision will bite us on the backside big time.

Time to regroup and go on another run.

Haha.

Klopp is "toast" if we miss out on CL because he waited for his ideal signing? Come on, lad. It would be a huge disappointment, but who on earth are we going to get to manage us who is better than Klopp?

He can be stubborn, and it can cost us, but it will not cost us nearly as much as replacing him with someone worse.

• Upvote 1

Didn't want us to sign Mahrez before but now I'd bite your hand off for him.

Yep, agree - to have been able to bring a player of his ability on at half time yesterday could have changed the game. I also thought he was 30 for some reason; having seen he's only 26 it wouldn't be quite such a ridiculous deal money-wise either.

On a side note - and I realise part of it is still rustiness - Lallana seems to have returned to his first season self of Cruyff turn, Cruyff turn, stop, Cruyff turn, stop, dummy, Cruyff turn, stop, pass the ball four yards backwards. We really need the Lallana of last season back.

Lallana hasn’t been great since coming back from injury which is half what I expected but I thought he did well yesterday. Most of our creativity came through him and he probably should have started the match in hindsight. I thought Ings looked lively when he come on also. I’d like to see us go two up front from the off against sides like this. With Salah and Mane both playing wide as well.

It was Rodgers’ biggest problem as well and he was really reluctant to play two up front to combat it. When Klopp came in I knew he was a 1 up front man generally as well which was my biggest fear. In reality his one up front is different to Rodgers and can break these sides down more regularly. Last night though was another one of those games where we needed less people in the middle of the pitch passing the ball 5-10 yards side to side from one wing to the other. We should be able to mix it up and play wide players with full backs overlapping.

It has to be so intricate and perfect to score a goal making passes through the middle or dribbling it through when they get so many bodies in there.

Yep, agree - to have been able to bring a player of his ability on at half time yesterday could have changed the game. I also thought he was 30 for some reason; having seen he's only 26 it wouldn't be quite such a ridiculous deal money-wise either.

On a side note - and I realise part of it is still rustiness - Lallana seems to have returned to his first season self of Cruyff turn, Cruyff turn, stop, Cruyff turn, stop, dummy, Cruyff turn, stop, pass the ball four yards backwards. We really need the Lallana of last season back.

Adam Lallana has always been a Cruyff turn and hardly anything else. He was just surrounded by true quality, which masked his ineffectiveness and highlighted his pressing around the pitch. Pressing is not football though. You could get Mo Farah to press an opponent, what you need is the end product - the final ball, the shot from distance, the creativity to unlock a defence and Lallana doesn't have it. 

I said when Coutinho left, now you'll see the true Adam Lallana. Negligent from the club to not at least bring in Keita to stop our midfield being exposed like this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we do not replace Coutinho this window one of Kent or Wilson has to be on the bench, pace is needed off the bench. Not ideal but preferable to Ings in my opinion.

That's a depressing post. 

Mental that we just sold our best player with 4 years left on his contract for megabucks and don't look like replacing him. Its not like we don't have loads to play for in the remainder of the season. 

Mental that we just sold our best player with 4 years left on his contract for megabucks and don't look like replacing him. Its not like we don't have loads to play for in the remainder of the season.

Sadly it's reflective of our current predicament, not replacing him now will cost us, not may, will.

Also its not like this is a surprise and we didn't expect it to happen. 

The Mancs are having a similar season to ourselves even though we are by far the better team to watch.

Both of us are in the champions league places still in the FA cup and both have a side they should beat to get to the quarter finals in the Champions League. 

They go and buy one of the best forwards in the league while we sell arguably our best player. 

United sign a world class footballer, and folk on here are vilifying them for the financial outlay on a 29 year old. FSG have so successfully engineered the debate around our transfer business that our rivals are mocked for spending money. "Haha, they'll never win the Net Spend Cup with that attitude". Yeah, £142m, great, but a sack of money never scored a goal.

• Upvote 5

I guess waiting for your preffered targets has its merits.

Hope Klopp doesnt apply it when out for a meal with his wife.......

Klopp: Hmm... I will have the Lamb please

Waiter:: Sorry sir, we are out of Lamb, not getting any until next week

Klopp: Hmmmm. Could I pay for the lamb now and have it next week?

Waiter: Ummm..I guess

Klopp: Great. I will have my dinner next week. Get your coat darling, we are going home

• Upvote 1