You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

REDS MAKE SUSO ENQUIRES

Liverpool have reportedly made tentative enquiries about re-signing Milan playmaker Suso as a possible replacement for the recently departed Philippe Coutinho, according to the Liverpool Echo.

However, Italian outlet Tuttosport reports that the Serie A side have warned the Reds off their player, who previously spent five years at Anfield.

Oh my fackin days......

• Upvote 1

Compared to what we have today he’s worth about 20 points a season. In addition our chances in the cups would improve.

Dont know what price to put on that, but it’s high. If I could pick one player in the PL for us I’d say it’s between De Gea, Kante, De Bruyne or Kane. Probably in that order too.

You reckon if we'd have swapped keepers with Man United last season we'd have won the title with a record points haul while they would have finished miles below Everton and barely above the likes of West Brom? Even though they strolled to a Europa League win using their sub keeper?

• Upvote 1

You reckon if we'd have swapped keepers with Man United last season we'd have won the title with a record points haul while they would have finished miles below Everton and barely above the likes of West Brom? Even though they strolled to a Europa League win using their sub keeper?

Ok, maybe 20 points is too much. But that also heavily depends on the quality of the rest of the team. Of course the better we are in attack, the more times we can get away with conceding a goal or two, meaning the upside potential of a better keeper is reduced, if you measure it by points alone. But of course at the same time, the more you score, it gets increasingly likely that an excellent keeper would win you titles.

And I actually believe that we would be serious title contenders if we had de Gea in goal. The saves per goal conceded ratios for Mignolet and De Gea also suggest that the difference is enormous.

REDS MAKE SUSO ENQUIRES

Liverpool have reportedly made tentative enquiries about re-signing Milan playmaker Suso as a possible replacement for the recently departed Philippe Coutinho, according to the Liverpool Echo.

However, Italian outlet Tuttosport reports that the Serie A side have warned the Reds off their player, who previously spent five years at Anfield.

Hands of warning for an ex player.  Bad times.

This thread should be locked, we're not signing anyone. 

All I see lately is this saves per goal/shot shite constantly. Mignolet isn’t good enough because he makes big mistakes every so often. De Gea is the best keeper in the world. That’s all you have to say but if you put him in goal for us he would still concede a shitload of the same goals Mignolet does. He would stop goals like that Arsenal clanger and the Karius one against City. In reality those clangers aren’t every game, they aren’t even every month for Mignolet. If you put De Gea in goal on the weekend he saves that first shot but he doesn’t save any of the others because he can’t make Lovren jump higher for example.

Negative sides like United don’t concede easy chances because they don’t play open football. That then means the sides they play against end up having speculative shots which are easier to save. We don’t just play open football we absolutely fucking dominate teams and it means we hardly concede any chances. The chances we do concede tend to be individual errors which lead to the keeper being completely exposed.

Mignolet isn’t good enough because we can do better but the laughable exaggerations of how bad he is dont help anybody. He’s a top tier keeper who is very strong mentally to actually deal with copious amount of abuse he gets for having the temerity to be picked by successive managers. Most games he does his job fine and has done for years now but that stick will definitely impact him. It would impact anyone. His occasional clangers just haven’t gone away and it’s the reason why he will now be replaced. The majority of the people giving him shit are going to be shocked when the next guy comes in and the same thing is happening. The manager will try to stick with them because that’s what you have to do to have a top keeper.

To play in goal for Liverpool or in any position actually has always been a difficult thing because the fans do nothing for your confidence. If you don’t hit the ground like Salah, expect a torrent of shite and groans. It means only the strong survive and it’s why when they do survive they’re normally perfectly happy to fuck off to better things. Not just that though they are mentally ready to be able to perform anywhere. It doesn’t have to be that way and too many players are destroyed at various clubs when they could turn out to be top players. I have no doubt in my mind if the whole fan base backed Mignolet then he wouldn’t make those occasional clangers. In reality there were a lot ready to jump on his back at the first mistake. It seems to be a running thing now. Robertson and Chamberlain were this seasons 2. Even Salah had his own fucking weirdo on here slaughtering him for the first few months.

• Upvote 4

As for goalkeepers, I’m on board with going big for either Alisson or Oblak. We are becoming a very good team and the current goalkeeping situation is out of step with the rest of the side.

Mignolet is surely finished here. He might be retained until summer in case we need him, and fair enough at that point, but we’ve seen enough over several years. Nice fella and has his moments where he looks good, but ultimately he doesn’t save enough shots and is not an elite keeper.

Karius looks like he is under consideration for his future. Ironically I’d slightly give Mignolet the nod over Karius in a head to head, but we can’t be sure whether or not Karius will show the sort of form that prompted us to sign him. Chances are he won’t make the grade, but it’s worth persevering with him at the moment, so long as he doesn’t start killing us again with his nervous mistakes.

My best guess is both will Be gone and we will sign another to go straight in. Alisson for £40-50M or Oblak for perhaps another £20M more. Crazy money, definitely, and either one would command a world record fee for a keeper.

But the context is we have money and it’s the biggest weakness in our side. Sort it out properly, instead of with another hopeful low priced signing that is only a maybe/might come good.

If we have all the Coutinho fee left we should still be able to sign a Coutinho replacement and one of the aforementioned keepers.

All I see lately is this saves per goal/shot shite constantly. Mignolet isn’t good enough because he makes big mistakes every so often. De Gea is the best keeper in the world. That’s all you have to say but if you put him in goal for us he would still concede a shitload of the same goals Mignolet does. He would stop goals like that Arsenal clanger and the Karius one against City. In reality those clangers aren’t every game, they aren’t even every month for Mignolet. If you put De Gea in goal on the weekend he saves that first shot but he doesn’t save any of the others because he can’t make Lovren jump higher for example.

Negative sides like United don’t concede easy chances because they don’t play open football. That then means the sides they play against end up having speculative shots which are easier to save. We don’t just play open football we absolutely fucking dominate teams and it means we hardly concede any chances. The chances we do concede tend to be individual errors which lead to the keeper being completely exposed.

Mignolet isn’t good enough because we can do better but the laughable exaggerations of how bad he is dont help anybody. He’s a top tier keeper who is very strong mentally to actually deal with copious amount of abuse he gets for having the temerity to be picked by successive managers. Most games he does his job fine and has done for years now but that stick will definitely impact him. It would impact anyone. His occasional clangers just haven’t gone away and it’s the reason why he will now be replaced. The majority of the people giving him shit are going to be shocked when the next guy comes in and the same thing is happening. The manager will try to stick with them because that’s what you have to do to have a top keeper.

To play in goal for Liverpool or in any position actually has always been a difficult thing because the fans do nothing for your confidence. If you don’t hit the ground like Salah, expect a torrent of shite and groans. It means only the strong survive and it’s why when they do survive they’re normally perfectly happy to fuck off to better things. Not just that though they are mentally ready to be able to perform anywhere. It doesn’t have to be that way and too many players are destroyed at various clubs when they could turn out to be top players. I have no doubt in my mind if the whole fan base backed Mignolet then he wouldn’t make those occasional clangers. In reality there were a lot ready to jump on his back at the first mistake. It seems to be a running thing now. Robertson and Chamberlain were this seasons 2. Even Salah had his own fucking weirdo on here slaughtering him for the first few months.

You could say that De Gea wouldn't have been able to save those goals from karius/mingolet starting positions. But you could also say that de Gea is more intelligent so would have been directly in front of the ball for those shots.

In the end there has been way too many times we've lost points because the single shot they've faced in the entire match has gone past them.

You could also argue that de Gea makes uniteds defence look better than they are, not the other way around, the amount of stick that lovren and moreno get for clangers is because they directly lead to goals, if mingolet makes the saves and pulls them out of the shit then nobody would complain about those two half as much, and would probably be down as a couple of the best defenders in the league.

Likewise with city's first goal on Sunday, people were rightly giving gomes stick for his role, but if karius makes that save not one single person on here would remember or care about gomes being caught out, people only remember the mistakes that lead to goals.

@ guest

He would stop goals like that Arsenal clanger and the Karius one against City. In reality those clangers aren’t every game, they aren’t even every month for Mignolet. If you put De Gea in goal on the weekend he saves that first shot but he doesn’t save any of the others because he can’t make Lovren jump higher for example.

Are you serious??

Just the example above makes all the difference over the course of a season. 2 less goals in 10 wins us points. That means 30 goals conceded, not 40 over the course of a season - thats how it works. You just mentioned one in each game FFS. The Arsenal clanger is two points.

That seems like a shedload.

• Upvote 1

I don't really understand that chart, but from what I can read from it he's been conceding the number of goals you would probably expect, apart from a period at the end of 2015-16 season and start of 16-17, when he was absolutely terrible?

He never performs well for Klopp, just average or poor ... & other goalkeepers do better with the same kind of chances we concede.

How anyone could argue that he's not completely crap is beyond me. This isn't a kid moving to the Premier League. This is a near 30 year old man that's in his 5th season at the club and he's been terrible in every one of them. I mean, blaming Mignolet's performances on the fans? Come on, stop it! 

• Upvote 2

I don't really understand that chart, but from what I can read from it he's been conceding the number of goals you would probably expect, apart from a period at the end of 2015-16 season and start of 16-17, when he was absolutely terrible?

Yes, but "the number of goals you would probably expect" is the AVERAGE of all the goalkeepers in the league.

So he's average most of the time and had a couple of periods where he's been below average. Either way, it's not remotely good enough for a club hoping to win things. At Southampton, or Everton, or West Ham, he's probably good enough.

If you want to play for Liverpool, and we want to win things, you had better be above league average, that's for sure.

Yes, but "the number of goals you would probably expect" is the AVERAGE of all the goalkeepers in the league.

So he's average most of the time and had a couple of periods where he's been below average. Either way, it's not remotely good enough for a club hoping to win things. At Southampton, or Everton, or West Ham, he's probably good enough.

If you want to play for Liverpool, and we want to win things, you had better be above league average, that's for sure.

I don't think he'd be good enough for Everton, Southampton or West Ham. Southampton fans are tearing their hair out about how bad Forster is and he's been better statistically this season than Mignolet. I could be wrong but i think he's been better every season he's been there. 

Pickford is lightyears ahead of Mignolet. Adrian has been consistently better as well. You'd really struggle to find worse than Mignolet. Maybe Ben Foster. Joe Hart over the last two seasons. It's tough. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, so that's what Average rolling xG2/shot means...

Agreed, we need a better goalie - but I was under the impression from other stats that Mig had been one of the absolute worst keepers in the league for the last 3 years. This chart (bar a six month terrible patch) actually makes him look OK!

I don't think he'd be good enough for Everton, Southampton or West Ham. Southampton fans are tearing their hair out about how bad Forster is and he's been better statistically this season than Mignolet. I could be wrong but i think he's been better every season he's been there. 

Pickford is lightyears ahead of Mignolet. Adrian has been consistently better as well. You'd really struggle to find worse than Mignolet. Maybe Ben Foster. Joe Hart over the last two seasons. It's tough. 

I was trying to be generous.

In actuality I think if he played for one of those three clubs they'd be looking to replace Mignolet, but it might not be a priority. Now, if he were Nottingham Forrest's goalkeeper, or Brighton's, or a club like that, they'd probably think he was one of their strengths and look to build around him.

But regardless, the point is that he's nowhere near good enough for a club like Liverpool. Not even close.

This latest outburst about how the situation is "unacceptable" or whatever he's meant to have said is just laughable. Rumours of clubs in Italy looking at him for 20m euro? I'd bite their hands off so fast they probably should just be in the A & E before they make the phone call so they don't die of blood loss from the wound.

• Upvote 1

The majority of people live in a bubble when it comes to Mignolet. When he leaves here he won’t go the way of Reina. He will be a top keeper somewhere and either people will be shocked how all these percentages suddenly change or they will still just bury their head in the sand and say he’s shite because of how little they watch other football.