You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Stats are a waste of time for top keepers imo.  Top keepers in a top club have to have extreme concentration, play more like a sweeper and make that game saving save when called upon.

Under Rafa, in the good spell, Reina's stats must have been fairly shit, he barely did a thing when we were at our best but started play and made a big save when required.

Our clean sheet stats were immense but that was mostly down to the unit, the defenders didnt do that much at times either

Stats are a waste of time for top keepers imo.  Top keepers in a top club have to have extreme concentration, play more like a sweeper and make that game saving save when called upon.

Under Rafa, in the good spell, Reina's stats must have been fairly shit, he barely did a thing when we were at our best but started play and made a big save when required.

Our clean sheet stats were immense but that was mostly down to the unit, the defenders didnt do that much at times either

Moot point but - our defence at corners and dead balls included Hypia, Crouch, Carragher, Riise, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres - i'm sure that helps as well. 

Saves per game is not a stat to judge keepers by as it takes no account of shots per match, or shot quality faced

I've not seen any stats for this season, but previously they have shown that Karius is one of the most passive keepers when it comes to claiming crosses, I think he only comes when he is sure he is going to catch it. Mignolet however is one of the more aggressive ones if memory serves, however he elects to punch the ball the vast majority of times, which would effect his claim success rate. Personally, I would prefer someone who punches a lot over someone who doesn't come at all.

And I don't think wowy analysis (with or without you) works here as Karius has generally played against inferior opposition, and has played so few games that any stats have very little significance anyway.

Both keepers, I think, have been affected by what happens in front of them, and they are probably both better than the eyes and the stats suggest, but to me, Karius looks like he is not really good at anything other than sweeper keeping and have much more confidence in Mignolet.

Il give you " comes out to try and claim"  more,  but he certainly isnt one of the more aggresive.

Ive seen more aggression in Mother Teresa...

I'll use it again as an example. Werder Bremen paid about 2 million for that Czech keeper Jiri Pavlenka, 25yo, 6'5", brave, athletic and dominates his box when called upon. He's been the best keeper in the Bundesliga this season imo, despite playing for a shit team. He's made something like 70 odd saves from the 90 he has faced on target. 2 fucking Million. 

Wasn't Karuis the best (or one of the best)  keepers in Bundesliga when we signed him though?

I would rather spend big on a position like goalkeeper, they don't often move from club to club like players do and normally if you get a good one they will stay at the club for 7-10 years.

If this Allison is the real deal i would spend the money on him. We need a top keeper and no point in taking anymore risks imo

Guest Pistonbroke

I want Oblak also - but Piston makes a good point - Oblak replaced Courtois and came from Benfica after one good season, same with Alisson, so why are we not looking at other options? Neither of those keepers have been first team starters with big clubs since a young age - it was scouting that found them.

But, looking at our team. You could argue the above for all players - and I think we need a keeper more than we need Lemar. 

I honestly couldn't tell you how our scouting set up works, if the scouts have their arses on a seat in a stadium or they just trawl the internet for info on said players and game write ups. I suppose with ready made talent at big transfer costs it doesn't really matter that much. But for unearthing that gem of a player before someone else gets in it is essential to mark your target and watch them playing live over a decent period of time under different circumstances, like strength of opponent etc. I'm sure there's quite a few of us could do a better job of scouting when it comes to the latter. 

I would like to see either of our goalkeepers behind a defence that wasn't composed of hapless clowns. Only then can you really judge them.

They might argue that they'd be less likely to be seen as hapless clowns if every single mistake they made didn't result in a goal due to having someone behind them that doesn't actually make saves.

I think in TAA, Gomez, Matip, VVD, and Robertson we have five pretty good, or promising, defenders. Lovren and Moreno need binning, but so do Mignolet and Karius.

Il give you " comes out to try and claim"  more,  but he certainly isnt one of the more aggresive.

Ive seen more aggression in Mother Teresa...

Data for 2014/15 suggests otherwise, he's roughly top quartile for aggressiveness.

Perhaps it has changed over the last season and a bit, I haven't seen any data for it though

karius-mignolet.png

Taken from here

https://outsidersin.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/concerning-karius-cross-claiming-analysis/

Guest Pistonbroke

Mkhitaryan will be the most Arsenal signing of all time.

Good player and everything, but he's the last thing they need.

Mancs style of play under Mourinho has ruined him, reckon he'd shine in an attack minded team like ourselves, City, Arsenal or Spurs. He's a proven goalscorer if played right. 

League appearances and goals since after Sturridge's 2013/14 campaign.

Walcott 76/20

Carroll 71/23

Sturridge 55/17

If Arsenal can get 20 for Walcott then we should be able to get rid of that useless sack of shite for 15 or so.

Swansea, Newcastle, Southampton and WBA need him. They can't afford not to sign him, 30m is the going rate for what he "can" do.