You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Our net spend for the season is now around +30 million.

With the signing's of VVD and Robertson and the emergence of Gomez and TAA I don't see us signing any more defenders until summer 2019 at the earliest. With Keita coming in and Can leaving, I think we will only be looking at one or two centre midfield players coming in. Goretzka would be great business, but there's a lot of interest for him, I'd also like us to go for Kovacic from Madrid.

I think the key though is getting in a top goalkeeper and another forward, who can compliment Mane, Salah, Firminho and AOC. Oblak would be my first choice, but I think we'd have to pay his 100 mllion euros release clause to get him. I don't really rate Butland, so it seems like Allison is the choice? Apparently Allison is rated higher than the City keeper Edison so that seems like it would be a good move for the right price. 

The forward option is the biggest problem in my opinion. Sturridge and Ings aren't up to it and Solanke isn't ready yet. Brewster is one for the future but we need somebody else. I am struggling to think of somebody that could come in and do the same job (or better) than Firminho does? 

• Upvote 1

Agree the deal for the summer, worst case scenario put him on gardening leave until then if he starts acting like a cunt. Which he won't cos there's a World Cup in summer. Downside is you might lose him for the rest of the season, but guess what, we fucking did that anyway.

So you're saying that you'd have been happy for Coutinho to go on strike, missing games against Everton, Man City and others in January, but then come waltzing back in to the team in February?

you completely ignore, for whatever reason, the negative impact the little fucker would be having on team morale.  Toxic little twat.  That would have been a big factor in Klopp's decision.

I'm not at all mate, if he was having a negative impact and being a toxic little twat you just put him on gardening leave for the rest of the season. We'd be in exactly the same situation we're in now.

But if he chose to continue playing well we'd have another six months of our best player and probably clinch top four. Right now obviously this option is closed off.

We spent well over £100million in the summer in Keita, Robertson and Chamberlain. There’s money there aside from the Phil cash.

It’s not as if this a rehash of the Moores era and certainly not the same as when H+G were here.

The club is infinitely more richer than it was 18 years ago. A lot down to the TV cash admittedly but also down to the clubs commercial activity, that’s 100% better under FSG.

People scoff at the dunking donuts stuff but it’s that which pays the wages and brings the players in.

We are now back on a par with the Rafa years. Doing ok in Europe and challenging the top 4. It’s took us 8 years to get back to here, such was the damage of H+G and Roy.

We have a bigger stadium and a world class manager at the helm.

If FSG we’re taking money out the club it would show up on the books. It doesn’t! In actual fact they pump money into the club regularly (see the clubs annual accounts)

They are not perfect by any means and have made mistakes (the Rodgers era and the committee) But in 2010 if you’d say to me we’ll be in the position we are now I’d of bit your hand off.

The only alternative to our current ownership model is either a sugar daddy, which morally speaking, is against what this club stands for. Or either Fan ownership, which has worked elsewhere and been relatively successful but it doesn’t exist in the premier league and for the moment, is unattainable for many many reason.

The club has improved and the team has improved. I back the manager and trust the judgment of the owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who the fuck are you coming in here speaking sense? Fuck off. 

Which is why the deal should have been agreed for the summer, similar to how Leipzig dealt with us over Keita.

Yeah and what is Keita doing now? He is wanting to move now and his form has plummeted. People underestimate the stink a player wanting out and keeping him makes. It is not co incidence Southampton have been shit in the first half of the season.

We spent well over £100million in the summer in Keita, Robertson and Chamberlain. There’s money there aside from the Phil cash.

It’s not as if this a rehash of the Moores era and certainly not the same as when H+G were here.

The club is infinitely more richer than it was 18 years ago. A lot down to the TV cash admittedly but also down to the clubs commercial activity, that’s 100% better under FSG.

People scoff at the dunking donuts stuff but it’s that which pays the wages and brings the players in.

We are now back on a par with the Rafa years. Doing ok in Europe and challenging the top 4. It’s took us 8 years to get back to here, such was the damage of H+G and Roy.

We have a bigger stadium and a world class manager at the helm.

If FSG we’re taking money out the club it would show up on the books. It doesn’t! In actual fact they pump money into the club regularly (see the clubs annual accounts)

They are not perfect by any means and have made mistakes (the Rodgers era and the committee) But in 2010 if you’d say to me we’ll be in the position we are now I’d of bit your hand off.

The only alternative to our current ownership model is either a sugar daddy, which morally speaking, is against what this club stands for. Or either Fan ownership, which has worked elsewhere and been relatively successful but it doesn’t exist in the premier league and for the moment, is unattainable for many many reason.

The club has improved and the team has improved. I back the manager and trust the judgment of the owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cl win, an fa cup win, a cl final, a semi final - how are we anywhere near on a par?

The profit and commercial activities are good, i agree

It's what we did in August isn't it?

It's a bit different once the season has actually started. We are on a really good run and the whole saga would have been overshadowing that. Also it sends out the wrong message if we allow a player to keep striking and only playing when they want to? 

Once is forgivable in my eyes, but I wouldn't have wanted Coutinho to ever play for us again if he'd deliberately missed the whole of our January fixtures.  

It's a bit different once the season has actually started. We are on a really good run and the whole saga would have been overshadowing that. Also it sends out the wrong message if we allow a player to keep striking and only playing when they want to? 

Once is forgivable in my eyes, but I wouldn't have wanted Coutinho to ever play for us again if he'd deliberately missed the whole of our January fixtures.  

Fair enough. I agree it would have been shit seeing him go on strike and only come back after the window shut.

I don't think it would have been as shit as missing out on the CL places yet again, though. I hope Klopp's right and we have enough firepower without Coutinho to get there anyway.

Judging by this it won't actually be a big job.

DTA41YAW4AILPpe.jpg

A cl win, an fa cup win, a cl final, a semi final - how are we anywhere near on a par?

The profit and commercial activities are good, i agree

Don't think he ment on par with the trophy haul. More of a case that this is the best our team has been since then.

The trophy haul will come soon hopefully.

If people are still upset about Phil leaving half way through the season, just close your eyes and pretend he tore his ACL during training a week ago and he'd be out for the rest of the season anyway.

Because if that was the case, the atmosphere on here would be a lot more upbeat, and nobody would be thinking about us not making top 4.

We have a good team still, it doesn't revolve around 1 player that's the beauty of it we might be slightly worse off but it's not a big deal.

We'll win more games 2-0 instead of drawing 3-3. That's the only difference I'm expecting.

Sturridge strikes me as being an odd fellow.

The heights from which he has fallen is remarkable. 

You'd think that he might have agitated for a move, or game time, with this being a World Cup year.  He's 28, this is his last chance at a World Cup, and yet he's got no desire to get involved.

18 months ago he was saying stuff like this:

http://www.90min.com/posts/3611259-daniel-sturridge-i-want-to-be-the-best-player-in-the-premier-league

Latest rumours we are looking to sell Sturridge but Ings going nowhere

You could reverse the order of the names there or even have 'both' in between them and it  wouldn't matter.

We're in trouble if we're using either much in the months ahead.

• Upvote 1

If we do get caught short in one of the attacking 3 slots, I think we'll feel the benefit of having attacking players who can play in a few positions.

Salah, Mané and Firmino can play any of the 3 attacking positions. AOC and Lallana can do both of the two wide positions. Woodburn offers an option, albeit an inexperienced one and, for a game or two, Milner and TAA could play out wide.

I could even see VVD sitting in front of a back four if Can or Henderson needed to be used in more advanced roles.

I'd prefer us to bring people in. But, not just for the sake of it. They've got to be quality and who we really want. Not just stop gaps.

I'd sooner wait for first choice targets and use the current squads versatility to get us through this season.

I like Ings and he more than deserve a shot

Its not like he has had nagging injuries just been very unlucky with two major injuries. 

I would much rather see him coming on if we are chasing a game than Solanke,the lad knows where the goals is. Worth giving him the rest of the season to impress and show he is fit. If not gone in the summer. Someone has to give Firmino a rest from time to time