You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I assumed the 75m was partly an acknowledgement we were getting a big fee from Barca and also a premium to push the deal through despite our earlier apology. With these things i still thought the fee was too high. Without them its crazy.

I know its not my money and i know he is our top target but its still too much money given the areas the team need to address and our lack of 200m war chest..

Any surprise thats the price being quoted?

Its the same stories leaked all summer,a price we probably had told the press when we leaked loads of shite.It was never going to get any cheaper,especially as we look more desperate than we did then

I’m a big fan of Van Dijk but £70m is too much money on one player. I’d rather spend less than half that on another centre half, say Maguire.. and spend the rest upgrading our goalie.

Its not our money and we are desperate for a CB that isn't a complete joke, We should get a keeper too,  It may already be too late to salvage much from this season but it will be a rail crash if we don't move quickly. 

If he turns out to be the centre half we have been missing for years and we get 5 or 6 years out of him its fine. Just pay it.

The alternative is the comedy roadshow of Klaven, Lovren and Matip.

Except he won't be. He's one of the most physically gifted defenders I've ever seen but some of his positioning and the mistakes he's made are comical. He's worth about half the price quoted.

Plus, and this is just an annoyance of mine, but he's always throwing his arms up and looking at his partner and keeper whenever a goal is conceded like a total twat.  

I think Van Dijk hasn't pulled up trees since he's returned, and Saints fans will be aware of that as anyone else.  They know he's not worth £50m, let alone £70m.

They have a problem scoring goals (only 9 all season), and we have a certain Danny Ings.

Obviously they will say they need a replacement CB, but £50m and Ings would be more than generous.

Is Van Dijk worth £70m to us?  Would he make CL qualification next season easier?  Yes, probably.

Would we get any other top CB in January with silly money?  Not sure, someone like Koulibaly wouldn't be sold while Napoli are hell-bent on winning Serie A.

We could look at Sarr, or Diop, or Upamecano, or Henrichs, or Tah, but all would still cost £30m+ and would guarantee nothing due to their relative inexperience at top level.

We could also go for Jonny Evans, but WBA are a point off the relegation zone and perhaps not willing to sell their best CB unless we garnered them with 'help' to avoid relegation, like Ings/Ward/Woobdurn/Grujic on loan plus cash.

Only way we pay that is when they sell Phil.

Van dyke and lemar for 70 mill each be the coutinho money

I would do that. Not because I feel the VVD fee would be fair, but because we’d have two first teamers right into the best eleven, with one out. It stops the money being frittered away into the owners pockets, or held back for a rainy day or whatever.

Decisive action. VVD and Lemar for Coutinho. Count me in.

* This assumes Coutinho is off. Obviously I’d like to keep him but I think it’s only a matter of time until he leaves, either to Barcelona or PSG.