You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

We all know how this works.

If we had a clinical 30 goal per season striker (let's call him Luis Suarez) my mate Funnneeeee would be arguing that we were too dependant on one player and that Adam Morgan should get a game instead.

This would be followed up with lists about the goals not being shared around enough and a textbook hilarious GIF image.

• Upvote 3

Fucking hell with Bread in goal we will get sliced open!

He might rise to the occasion ,  More worried about Milk and Eggs on the right of defence ; they could end up flat as a pancake. Pat Rice is past it and always a bit dodgy playing a right back on the left. As for Fruit he's fucking useless and a real pest in the showers later.

We need a new list

Best 2015 – present

Goal/assist every x PL games

Kane                 0.90

Aguero              0.86

Ibra                   0.78

Lukaku              0.77

Costa                0.71

Vardy                0.66

Firmino             0.52

Giroud               0.50

Martial               0.47

Deeney             0.43

Welbeck            0.42

Rooney             0.42

Benteke            0.40

Sturridge           0.38

Arnautovic          0.38

Carroll                   0.38

King                       0.36

Rashford              0.35

Walcott                0.32

Sums it up perfectly.  And this is being kind, by weighting assists the same as goals.

Assists + goals divided by PL starts (2015/16 season to present)

A harsher man than me would have weighted assists as 0.75 or even 0.50 compared with goals.

A cursory glance at the strikers above Firmino will show you to league winners and potential league winners.  A glance below Firmino you will see perennial losers like Arsenal, and a list of the maligned, ageing or injured. 

Firmino can obviously be upgraded, but currently with our style of play and our squad he is the best option upfront. The only other choices would be Mane or Salah, weakening us elsewhere.

Solanke should be backup to Firmino as the only other options are permacrocks.

Werner would be the perfect most attainable replacement for Firmino. In my humble opinion.

List

Firmino

Mane

Salah

Solanke

Sturridge

Ings

Woodburn

Brewster

Millar

An U12 striker

I think that's fair. We can't pretend he is great when he clearly isn't. We can say but he is this and he is that and he scores and assists plenty compared to others. I don't care what others do, I know that if we had a top striker we could not only blitz the shite but also take that one chance vs the likes of utd or in a big cl game.

Our forwards are not clinical and don't score when it matters, we have to fix this. We need natural goalscorers and certainly a main man that will hit 20 to 30 goals.

I think there is a clear distinction between strikers and forwards too.

Our strikers are ings , sturridge , solanke and origi

I think that's fair. We can't pretend he is great when he clearly isn't. We can say but he is this and he is that and he scores and assists plenty compared to others. I don't care what others do, I know that if we had a top striker we could not only blitz the shite but also take that one chance vs the likes of utd or in a big cl game.

Our forwards are not clinical and don't score when it matters, we have to fix this. We need natural goalscorers and certainly a main man that will hit 20 to 30 goals.

Firmino would start with a striker or behind one in a 4231 for me.

This is a blinkered opinion which disregards other aspects of Firmino's game and our attacking ethos as a whole.

The article below is worth a read and explains why we don't have a goal moocher trying to boost their own numbers at the expense of a threat from all parts of the pitch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/10/roberto-firmino-key-liverpools-heavy-metal-style-play/

It will take an excellent player to displace Firmino, in my opinion.  Klopp obviously loves him and what he brings to the team.

I can see the argument for a viable alternative instead of Sturridge et al but I disagree about downplaying the positive impact Firmino brings to our overall play. 

• Upvote 3

This is a blinkered opinion which disregards other aspects of Firmino's game and our attacking ethos as a whole.

The article below is worth a read and explains why we don't have a goal moocher trying to boost their own numbers at the expense of a threat from all parts of the pitch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/10/roberto-firmino-key-liverpools-heavy-metal-style-play/

Not blinkered, there are better than firmino, that's all. Top finishers can also work hard. I didn't say buy a goal hanger. All i said was , playing a false nine in this league for most of our games is the wrong way to go and that he isn't clinical and can be upgraded.

I don't need to read an article to know that we can do better.

I like him by the way, I think he is quality but I would probably only play him against the top 6 away or in a big cl tie away in that position

It will take an excellent player to displace Firmino, in my opinion.  Klopp obviously loves him and what he brings to the team.

I can see the argument for a viable alternative instead of Sturridge et al but I disagree about downplaying the positive impact Firmino brings to our overall play.

Fair made point well.

Obviously, this is probably bollocks but still:

Liverpool want a new goalkeeper and Jurgen Klopp has set his sights on Real Madrid man Keylor Navas, according to a report in Spain.

Klopp is interested in the Costa Rica No. 1 and, according to Diario Gol, the Reds boss has called Navas to offer him a move to Anfield at the end of the season.

Navas, who is currently out with a torn abductor muscle, is reportedly unhappy with Florentino Perez’s attitude and believes the president of the La Liga giants does not trust him.

The 30-year-old keeper has made six La Liga starts this term and is Zinedine Zidane’s No. 1, but he is unhappy with his situation and is looking for a new club to join in the summer, according to the Spanish publication.

Klopp has reportedly phoned him and offered him the No. 1 role ahead of Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius.

• Upvote 1

Best 2015 – present

Goal/assist every x PL games

Kane                 0.90

Aguero              0.86

Ibra                   0.78

Lukaku              0.77

Costa                0.71

Vardy                0.66

Firmino             0.52

Giroud               0.50

Martial               0.47

Deeney             0.43

Welbeck            0.42

Rooney             0.42

Benteke            0.40

Sturridge           0.38

Arnautovic          0.38

Carroll                   0.38

King                       0.36

Rashford              0.35

Walcott                0.32

Sums it up perfectly.  And this is being kind, by weighting assists the same as goals.

Assists + goals divided by PL starts (2015/16 season to present)

A harsher man than me would have weighted assists as 0.75 or even 0.50 compared with goals.

A cursory glance at the strikers above Firmino will show you to league winners and potential league winners.  A glance below Firmino you will see perennial losers like Arsenal, and a list of the maligned, ageing or injured. 

The ones in bold - disprove any theory you are trying to promote! 

Couldn't agree more! 

Obviously, this is probably bollocks but still:

Liverpool want a new goalkeeper and Jurgen Klopp has set his sights on Real Madrid man Keylor Navas, according to a report in Spain.

Klopp is interested in the Costa Rica No. 1 and, according to Diario Gol, the Reds boss has called Navas to offer him a move to Anfield at the end of the season.

Navas, who is currently out with a torn abductor muscle, is reportedly unhappy with Florentino Perez’s attitude and believes the president of the La Liga giants does not trust him.

The 30-year-old keeper has made six La Liga starts this term and is Zinedine Zidane’s No. 1, but he is unhappy with his situation and is looking for a new club to join in the summer, according to the Spanish publication.

Klopp has reportedly phoned him and offered him the No. 1 role ahead of Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius.

Did this happen in Blackpool?