You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I don't get why any multi billionaire would buy us for a billion.

We require a major investment on the pitch on top of that buying fee, still only have a stadium of 55,000 and any expansion over 60k looks unlikey without a new ground.  Why not buy a Newcastle for a third of the price and similar sized stadium and only have on-field investment to make. It would need a owner with mental levels of wealth and someone who watched the club in its heyday. 

The two takeovers earlier in the year where supposedly Sheikh Khalifa and HRH Faisal bin Turki

• Upvote 1

The worry with the HRH Faisal bin Turki link is the Saudi royal Family being part of Liverpool.

The guy himself actually sounds a decent guy on paper. Looking to move Saudi down the lines of more renewable energy and away from oil and heading massive investments on conservation projects. But the idea of the club being owned by that regime is not a great one.

To be honest its not that like the UAE is much better and wouldn't that be a conflicts of Interests with City. Them being owned by the half brother of the president of the UAE and Sheikh Khalifa being the leader of the defense force. 

Is it definitely us? She says she is a Geordie at heart. Mike Ashley wants to sell Newcastle. They would cost a lot less than us.

Is there evidence that she came over to negotiate a deal to buy Liverpool?

I thought they said on the commentary last week she was there to do a deal for Newcastle. If i had the money to buy Liverpool, I reckon the last place I would start looking to open negotiations is anywhere near the football team. Nobody you need to convince ever comes to watch us, or if they do, it's the once a season they're here to remind us they're fucking ace. If you want to buy LFC, get on a plane to Boston.

I don't get why any multi billionaire would buy us for a billion.

We require a major investment on the pitch on top of that buying fee, still only have a stadium of 55,000 and any expansion over 60k looks unlikey without a new ground. Why not buy a Newcastle for a third of the price and similar sized stadium and only have on-field investment to make. It would need a owner with mental levels of wealth and someone who watched the club in its heyday.

The two takeovers earlier in the year where supposedly Sheikh Khalifa and HRH Faisal bin Turki

Man city needed almost 600 million spent on players before they won the league, that was 10 years ago.

Today Newcastle probably need over a billion spent on their squad.

We probably need about 150-200 million spent on our squad plus we have a massive fan base globally with a much higher ceiling.

Man city needed almost 600 million spent on players before they won the league, that was 10 years ago.

Today Newcastle probably need over a billion spent on their squad.

We probably need about 150-200 million spent on our squad plus we have a massive fan base globally with a much higher ceiling.

We need more than that

A keeper

2 CB

Central Midfield

Striker

Add that to a 1 billion price.

Yes we could generate big money but they may well fancy creating their own legacy

What makes you think it's this mate?

Just the rumours I read last night, that investment woman was at the Newcastle game to discuss Chinese investment not a full takeover and in the mean time some Middle Eastern has enquired about a possible takeover of us and FSG has told them it’ll take £1b to even begin discussions. Like I said it could literally be all bullshit from someone on a slow news day, I’m just relaying what I’ve read.

The only reason I can see to anyone paying that much for us is that we’ve got a huge history and one of the best managers in the world already here, we’re still in the top 10 earning clubs in the world without winning anything of note in 25 years barring one European Cup, all they’d need is get this club successful on the pitch again and we’d be as big as Utd are in terms of revenue and we’d immediately have a seat at the top table again with Utd, Bayern, Barca and Madrid. I’d imagine the best players who’d have their pick of the new wealthy clubs like PSG, City, Chelsea or the Chinese clubs would rather be at a club with the rich history we have, not a manufactured club that has only been relevant in the last 10 years or so. Some players would pick Barca and Madrid over the Oil clubs because of their statue and history in the game, we wouldn’t be far away in that regard.

How much did the new stand cost? It wasn’t an extraordinary investment and it already has improved Anfield, they’d need to do similar to the other stands over the next couple of years and we’d have huge stadium to go with it, furthering our revenue, like Utd have done over the years with Old Trafford.

Is there any barrier to the Centenary/Dalglish Stand and ARE being developed into a similar size as the Main?

I was at the Sevilla game a few weeks and it was the first time I've seen the new Main Stand in the flesh. I have to say, I was dead impressed.

Just the rumours I read last night, that investment woman was at the Newcastle game to discuss Chinese investment not a full takeover and in the mean time some Middle Eastern has enquired about a possible takeover of us and FSG has told them it’ll take £1b to even begin discussions. Like I said it could literally be all bullshit from someone on a slow news day, I’m just relaying what I’ve read.

The only reason I can see to anyone paying that much for us is that we’ve got a huge history and one of the best managers in the world already here, we’re still in the top 10 earning clubs in the world without winning anything of note in 25 years barring one European Cup, all they’d need is get this club successful on the pitch again and we’d be as big as Utd are in terms of revenue and we’d immediately have a seat at the top table again with Utd, Bayern, Barca and Madrid. I’d imagine the best players who’d have their pick of the new wealthy clubs like PSG, City, Chelsea or the Chinese clubs would rather be at a club with the rich history we have, not a manufactured club that has only been relevant in the last 10 years or so. Some players would pick Barca and Madrid over the Oil clubs because of their statue and history in the game, we wouldn’t be far away in that regard.

How much did the new stand cost? It wasn’t an extraordinary investment and it already has improved Anfield, they’d need to do similar to the other stands over the next couple of years and we’d have huge stadium to go with it, furthering our revenue, like Utd have done over the years with Old Trafford.

That’s the post of a desperate fan, not a cold, calculated, cunt businessman.

Is there any barrier to the Centenary/Dalglish Stand and ARE being developed into a similar size as the Main?

I was at the Sevilla game a few weeks and it was the first time I've seen the new Main Stand in the flesh. I have to say, I was dead impressed.

The issue is just overall capacity isnt it.

I seem to remember the council saying we can't go above 60k without investing in more transport links

KD stand yes. You've got Skerries Road full of occupied houses right behind it. Im no engineer but it may be possible to jack the entire roof up and stick another 10 rows on it. I just cannot see massive redevelopment of a relatively new stand myself.

ARE there's outline planning permission to extend. This is likely the only via extension of Anfield left due to the large empty space behind the current stand.

Hard to get my head around the figures.

On the one hand 1 billion is an outstanding amount of money, somebody must be daft to want to fork over that much for a football club, especially when like has been noted you could get a Newcastle for less than half that, give Rafa some spending money and ensure they stay top flight and you'll be sorted.

But then 1 billion is 5 neymars, maybe 4 if you include wages, you can get Liverpool football club, with all the players, the stadium and all the the other infrastructure and business that comes with it.

So how much are we actually worth?

Hard to get my head around the figures.

On the one hand 1 billion is an outstanding amount of money, somebody must be daft to want to fork over that much for a football club, especially when like has been noted you could get a Newcastle for less than half that, give Rafa some spending money and ensure they stay top flight and you'll be sorted.

But then 1 billion is 5 neymars, maybe 4 if you include wages, you can get Liverpool football club, with all the players, the stadium and all the the other infrastructure and business that comes with it.

So how much are we actually worth?

It's the old answer, worth as much as someone would pay to buy. I'll be majorly surprised if anyone is willing to pay a billion for virtually any club, mega rich people prefer to build something virtually from scratch rather than a turn key purchase.

Different financiers such as Deloitte, KPMG and Forbes etc use different formulas to value clubs and businesses but it wouldnt surprise me if the paper value of the club is near £800m - £1bn.

The issue is just overall capacity isnt it.

I seem to remember the council saying we can't go above 60k without investing in more transport links

Which was why we've needed a new stadium for quite some time but fans were intent to pat the owners on the back for adding seats to a stadium we still need to leave.

• Upvote 1

Well, I was open to moving to a new build stadium that matched our ambitions and status back in the late 80's but Al Edge and a few others mounted an Anfield4Eva campaign with website. They managed to sway many fans with their 'souless bowl' argument and even had meetings with david moores.

I think that option is not so much dead but extinct now!

1 billion seems mad but when silicon valley start getting involved it will look like a good investment.

Look at some of the apps these days, they make untold from access to people and their data. Someone can tap into our global fan base whilst pocketing the tv money and commercial revenue.

Our owners bought us on the cheap and haven't spent much themselves. They could make a billion profit on us. From an investment point of view that is insane.

Their shareholders will be kissing their feet

1 billion for us might seem a bargain in a few years the way these tv deals look like panning out. Ive seen a few articles doing the rounds lately about how the likes of Facebook and amazon are gonna be entering the frey when the next round of talks are due and with us and the other big 5 looking to take a bigger slice of the overseas income, then we could be a decent investment at that price.

However, based on the above being true, I can’t see FSG letting us go for £1b at this time considering we’ve been dreadful for the majority of the time since we last won the league and we’re still one of the best supported teams in the world. if the time ever comes when clubs can negotiate their own tv deals, we’d be right up there. Probably still signing more useless shite like but hey ho

We don't need any bigger than 60k because 4 or 5 games a season excepted we won't fill it!

We're not the bad Mancs, and the prices are too high now to attract new local support!

Ah, that old chestnut. We've just added 8 thousand seats and the stadium is effectively sold out for all PL and the CL games it's hosted to date.