You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I don't think he's crap and worthless. It's just that i genuinely don't see any other top 6 team having any use for him in their starting eleven. 

Agree, and to gauge our team, you have to look at those above us and ask the question, who from our first 11, apart from the obvious 2 maybe 3, would actually get a starting place in any of their teams.

The answer isnt one any of us would actually like.

We just arent as good as we all like to think we are or indeed should be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Precisely. Consider the values of other players. The market has gone mad. 

50M is the new 25M. 

Henderson is a 25M player, but in this market he's a 50M player, if that makes sense. 35M for AOC. 35M for Drinkwater. Loads of other silly examples. By all means, we can name more reasonably priced players, particularly if they go to Juventus or other select teams around Europe. But the Premier League is an overpriced place, even moreso for English players.

Henderson is the captain of Liverpool. He is experienced at 27, but still has years left in him. He has played 250 games for us. He's a regular in the England side (though on second thoughts that might bring the price down!) He is under contract until 2020. 

50M. And I'm not on the communion wine!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

Precisely. Consider the values of other players. The market has gone mad. 

50M is the new 25M. 

Henderson is a 25M player, but in this market he's a 50M player, if that makes sense. 35M for AOC. 35M for Drinkwater. Loads of other silly examples. By all means, we can name more reasonably priced players, particularly if they go to Juventus or other select teams around Europe. But the Premier League is an overpriced place, even moreso for English players.

Henderson is the captain of Liverpool. He is experienced at 27, but still has years left in him. He has played 250 games for us. He's a regular in the England side (though on second thoughts that might bring the price down!) He is under contract until 2020. 

50M. And I'm not on the communion wine!

Mate.

Mate.  I mean, I like your optimism, but I would take 25m for Henderson, even in this market, in a second.  I get the "in this market he's worth double his actual worth" thing but I think his actual worth is probably about 15m so in this market he's worth 25m.  30m would be stretching it but I wouldn't have said anything at that figure.

But 50m is crazy.  He's 27 years old, in my opinion his decline is already started, given his injuries.  I think we should have sold him last summer and I desperately hope we do next summer because if he has another injury-plagued season we'll be lucky to get 15m for him in 2019.

We are extremely limited regarding who we could sell him to. Obviously no-one outside of England would pay more than about £15m for him and we rightly wouldn't accept that.

He isn't good enough for any of the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Tottenham or Arsenal, and he probably wouldn't move to any other clubs in England. The two next best sides (probably over the next few years) are arguably Everton and Newcastle and for obvious reasons he won't move to either.

This is the problem with elevating what should have been a squad player for a couple of years, then sold back to the dregs of the league, to captain of Liverpool. It's fucking mad really. And shite.

• Upvote 1

I did'nt want start another thread,I see that they have sacked Renshaw the head physio.What's going on?

I read a load of cryptic bollocks on twitter earlier which basically said that Renshaw and his mates at the club stitched up Chris Morgan to get the job and that Klopp was warned his was a snake and then Renshaw had a huge fallout with Lallana in pre season and it’s been building from there. Fuck knows if any of that is even close to the truth but that is what I got from it.

I hope to god these new takeover rumours are true and we can compete financially again. It would explain a hell of a lot of FSGs recent actions if that’s the case. Anyone saying they don’t want a “sugar daddy” needs to have a think about how else we can compete consistently without real financial aid. It won’t happen, it’s too far gone now and if it carries on the trajectory it’s been on the last few years it’ll eventually be a straight shoot out between the Manchester clubs and Chelsea for the league and they’ll probably just do what Bayern or Real Madrid do and that’s buy any player that’s had a good season in the league that year to weaken the opposition.

To the ones who don’t want a Sheikh or similar to takeover can’t really complain when we’re not competitive, the whole of the leagues getting that bit stronger every year and the gap between 5th and 17th will keep getting smaller until the top 4 are head and shoulders above everyone else and the rest fight it out for the rest of the league. We’ll be among the shite if we’re not careful. I’d personally love to see Klopp given the tools to do his job properly and buy the players HE wants not who he’s given or who is just a mercenary here for the money.

Not meaning to be sarcastic. Just passing time on here, watching Star Trek.

On a serious note about Henderson, the pool of teams who might be in for him is a compelling argument for why I may have overestimated the fee he would command. I can’t see a top six team going in for him, and then if we were willing sellers, the price would plummet.

After my initial excitement I've thought about this a bit, I reckon a journo has just spotted her in the crowd and put 2 and 2 together and created a story based on that alone.

International break innit, it's probably the most newsworthy thing they could come up with for the weekend.