You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

It's finding the right young player to invest time into. We would've been foolish to invest time and energy into Danny Wilson, for instance, but Sterling on the other hand was a masterstroke.

You can usually tell the young players that are going to make it because they exude a certain confidence about them. Woodburn showed that for Wales in their qualifier and TAA likewise in the Hoffenheim away game.

Solanke is the one that baffles me the most. Solanke is one of the most decorated youth players of all time. He's won the FA Youth Cup multiple times. He's finished top scorer and player of the tournament in virtually every international tournament he's played in. Why is he not getting a chance?

Players like Mignolet, Moreno, Lovren, Klavan, Wijnaldum, Sturridge and Ings are just clogging up the team and stifling opportunities for these young players. We need to ship them off and start blooding these lads in alongside quality signings.

I think that Klopp is introducing Solanke slowly so not as to overuse him. Remember he didn't play for almost a year because of a contract dispute.

It's a bit of a damned if you do damned if you don't with him, if he plays and he does badly you slate the manager, if he doesn't play you slate the manager because the less he plays the better he gets.

• Upvote 2

Serie A is a 'slower,' less physical game than the PL. Luis Alberto looked out of his depth in the PL. Aspas was pretty woeful for us as well but is flourishing back in La Liga.

Did you make your mind up from all his two starts for liverpool ? 

• Upvote 1

San Jose is doing very well in Bilbao,I think that the last three managers had different agendas so none of the lads mentioned had much of a chance.Hodgson is an idiot,Kenny wanted British,and Rodgers went with the flow.With the pressures of instant success placed on managers these days it does seem harder to bring youngsters through.

Luis Alberto, the player we sold for £3m last year, is now one of the best players in Serie A. 

Saw a game earlier in the season and he seemed very much the beneficiary of Immobile being generally on fire. He had a decent game, but his deficiencies were still evident.  Especially the lack of pace.

He's better than Shelvey (who he replaced), but not a patch on Suso, let alone the players we currently have in the position he'd be playing in.

Suso, Alberto and Aspas would have all been very good squad players. Very inexpensive as well. The latter two were examples of mismanagement, not of poor transfer policy. And letting go of a player with technique and quality like Suso was always gonna be a terrible move. 

Suso and San Jose were the two that should have been kept. Although with San Jose it wasn't obvious that either he'd improve so much, or that we'd have someone as shit as Lovren first choice now. Suso would have been a good squad player. Instead we sold him for 1m, then signed Markovic for 20m.

Alberto I think probably would have struggled with the pace and physicality. Aspas appeared to have caught aids between the end of the previous season and us signing him. His medical looked like a final farewell. Shame really, as he isn't a bad footballer, corners aside.

• Upvote 1

Suso and Sterling are the best players we've produced from the academy since Gerrard. Suso played like Alonso in the youth team. It was so obviously a mistake letting him go, even at the time.

I don't even class it as us producing them when we've bought them at 15 (Sterling) and 16? (Suso). The academy hasn't produced fuck all really due to constantly being fucked about with. TAA and Woodburn still very much unconfirmed either way

Solanke is the one that baffles me the most. Solanke is one of the most decorated youth players of all time. He's won the FA Youth Cup multiple times. He's finished top scorer and player of the tournament in virtually every international tournament he's played in. Why is he not getting a chance?

He is getting a chance though, is he not? Divock Origi was basically shipped off on loan for Solanke to take his place on the bench and he's well ahead of Ings in the pecking order. He started the League Cup game v Leicester and has come off the bench a few times in the league. You wouldn't have expected him to start any league or Champions League games at this stage, would you? I would say he's getting more chances than anyone could have expected at this point.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Suso go at the end of his contract?

I think we need a bit more evidence that he was a mistake. However, I will say it is a good point that our 'former' youth players are playing in top leagues as it means the quality is getting better. Long way from John Welsh, Spearing, Jack Robinson et al. 

The current bunch are the best I can remember since Gerrard, Owen, Carragher came through. 

He is getting a chance though, is he not? Divock Origi was basically shipped off on loan for Solanke to take his place on the bench and he's well ahead of Ings in the pecking order. He started the League Cup game v Leicester and has come off the bench a few times in the league. You wouldn't have expected him to start any league or Champions League games at this stage, would you? I would say he's getting more chances than anyone could have expected at this point.

He's not really getting a chance, no. It's difficult to do anything when you can only play League Cup games with a second string team and a couple of minutes - essentially as a time wasting sub at the end of a match. Giving him a chance would mean starting him in the league and the Champions League. 

He's not really getting a chance, no. It's difficult to do anything when you can only play League Cup games with a second string team and a couple of minutes - essentially as a time wasting sub at the end of a match. Giving him a chance would mean starting him in the league and the Champions League. 

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that he's not starting in the league or Champions League at this stage and I'm curious as to the exact games you think he should have started. He's been promising when tried, in pre-season and in the games/cameos he's had, but it's not like he's made himself a no-brainer selection for a league game or a Champions League game.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that he's not starting in the league or Champions League at this stage and I'm curious as to the exact games you think he should have started. He's been promising when tried, in pre-season and in the games/cameos he's had, but it's not like he's made himself a no-brainer selection for a league game or a Champions League game.

He shouldn't have to be a no-brainer for selection to get a chance. Delle Alli was put straight into the Spurs team because they recognised he had talent and Pochettino gave him that chance. Likewise Rodgers with Sterling and Van Gaal with Rashford. 

We're in a situation where Sturridge is totally shot and presses like he's on Ketamine - which destroys our gegenpress before it even starts. Origi is at Wolfsburg and Ings is finished at Premier League level.

Firmino is a great player, but he'd still be a great player alongside Coutinho in midfield. He's not a number 9. Solanke is, and that's why he deserves a chance. 

• Upvote 1

He shouldn't have to be a no-brainer for selection to get a chance. Delle Alli was put straight into the Spurs team because they recognised he had talent and Pochettino gave him that chance. Likewise Rodgers with Sterling and Van Gaal with Rashford. 

We're in a situation where Sturridge is totally shot and presses like he's on Ketamine - which destroys our gegenpress before it even starts. Origi is at Wolfsburg and Ings is finished at Premier League level.

Firmino is a great player, but he'd still be a great player alongside Coutinho in midfield. He's not a number 9. Solanke is, and that's why he deserves a chance. 

I'm not sure there's any point in bringing other players from other clubs and in different circumstances into it.

If, as it seems, you're saying he should be ahead of Sturridge in the pecking order - I wouldn't disagree with that too strongly (especially on the back of the last game, which was the last game) but, at the same time, I think it's understandable that Klopp hasn't done that. There's probably an argument too that he could have been subbed on a bit earlier at times.

Maybe he'll get more of a chance in the coming weeks/months but as of now, I think he's been managed well and has had enough chances. Essentially, we're talking about a kid who's just turned 20 last month with 25 league games in the Dutch league 2 seasons ago to his name. If he's good enough, he'll get more chances, I imagine, because the evidence so far is that Klopp likes him.