You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I remember when Ian Rush returning was reported in the late Echo! 

Prior to twitter how many of us where told the goblin that is Martin O'Neil was taking over from Houllier? Twitter is just one big pub, full of pub bores. 

The President of the US of fucking A, consistently contradicts himself! With little or no reference of his previous opinions. 

Keita isn't coming. And his agent needs to fuck off persuading us to offer a bit more each time! 

To be fair, that has been going on for a long time before twitter and with every single president.

Bit of an odd one this Keita deal.

For one thing, he's a crucial target because with him (and VVD, which I think is likely to happen) we're genuinely right in the mix for the league title this season.  Without him, we're back in the "hoping to end up 3rd/4th" pack.

For another thing, we obviously think we have a chance because we keep going back in with bid after bid.  The only thing that explains that to me is that the rumours of a split in the RBL hierarchy are accurate, because it's hard to reconcile otherwise.  It's not like Mbappe where we've basically told Monaco and the player "if you leave we want to be informed," put in a bid to show our seriousness and then just left it alone for nature to take its course.  No, with Keita we are clearly going back over and over because someone is encouraging us that a move is possible.

So that would lead you to logically conclude that we have at least some sort of chance.  But then this latest news would seem to contradict that pretty hard, which makes it complicated.  All we can do is read between the lines, but like I said, I think that it definitely seems like there is some sort of disconnect between the board and Rangnick and that is what is causing the opposite stories to emerge.

I have a sneaking feeling that there exists a price at which whatever part of the board is in favour of selling will override Rangnick, I just don't know if we will get there.  If they are indeed playing a game, with the goal that they end up with a price above £70m, you'd have to say that they are playing it well.

If I were in Edwards' shoes I'd try one last bid, maybe £72m or so with pretty favourable payment terms in terms of when the staggered payments happen.  If they don't bite, that will show that Rangnick has won the internal argument and we need to move on and look elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Melissa Reddy‏Verified account @MelissaReddy_ 4h4 hours ago

#LFC's €75m (£66m) offer for Naby Keita was submitted on Monday. Deal 'practically impossible this summer'

Honigstein saying the same on the radio few hours ago, too much loss of face if they sell now after all the not for sale statements.

Melissa Reddy‏Verified account @MelissaReddy_ 4h4 hours ago

#LFC's €75m (£66m) offer for Naby Keita was submitted on Monday. Deal 'practically impossible this summer'

Honigstein saying the same on the radio few hours ago, too much loss of face if they sell now after all the not for sale statements.

Well that's old because LFC submitted the £66m bid yesterday.

As Ive said for a while, it needs the player to say he want to leave. Either he does or he doesnt. If he's 'desparate' for the move as reported, I dont get why he's sitting on his hands. I can only presume he isnt as desparate as is being made out.

I honestly don't see it happening unless Keita and his agent kick right off and we then get stung paying 75ml all upfront.

If we don't get him,i'd rather go with what we have and if Leipzig don't perform in the first half of the season try again in January for a little more than his summer buy out.

Go and get another wide man that can back up Mane and Salah

The other issue now is if we move onto other targets they will know that they were never first choice.

Perhaps but are you still going to turn down a shitload of money and stepping your game up if given the chance? It's the way football is. Salah turned us down once but decided he'd give us a go so it goes both ways.

I always thought Salah didn't have the chance to turn us down, he wanted the move but we failed to agree a fee with Basle. He was facing the choice of us potentially leaving him twisting in the wind or going to Chelsea.

Depends on your point of view. He said he wanted to join us but maureen turned up, said how much he wanted him in his team and chelsea stumped up another £2m to get the deal done.

Personally, I dont think him thinking we'd leave him dangling came into it but like I said, depends on your point of view.

This deals dead, move on and move on quickly to whoever Klopps second choice is, to much fucking about from Leipzig. They don't need to sell and they really look like they don't want to, unless he forces them into letting him leave we should slam the door on the move and get someone else in, there's no point in keep going back in they are adamant he's not for sale.

But the Liverpool manager has still not given up on signing Keita and is reportedly ready to sanction a final approach to Leipzig over Keita in the hope that it will see them bow to their demands.

The gamble though could be a pricey one for the Reds. Their incessant chasing of Keita could see them miss out on their Plan B target, which on Wednesday was revealed as Geoffrey Kondogbia.

The French midfielder is set to leave Inter Milan in the coming days, with Valencia believed to have had an offer accepted by the Serie A side. Liverpool would have the financial clout to match Valencia’s bid if required, but they won’t bid on other targets while they still believe they have a chance of landing Keita.

But the Liverpool manager has still not given up on signing Keita and is reportedly ready to sanction a final approach to Leipzig over Keita in the hope that it will see them bow to their demands.

The gamble though could be a pricey one for the Reds. Their incessant chasing of Keita could see them miss out on their Plan B target, which on Wednesday was revealed as Geoffrey Kondogbia.

The French midfielder is set to leave Inter Milan in the coming days, with Valencia believed to have had an offer accepted by the Serie A side. Liverpool would have the financial clout to match Valencia’s bid if required, but they won’t bid on other targets while they still believe they have a chance of landing Keita.

Source please?