You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The best case scenario is to get the players you want, at the price you want, at the time you want. It seems that if the players you want are such that their clubs don't want to sell, the price and the timing both become an almighty struggle. I don't especially like it, but we'll have to be patient and see how it pans out.

If we sign VVD and Keita, the struggle to get them here will have been worthwhile.

If we move on to other targets, good players mind, then fair enough.

If we sign significantly inferior players, or worse, don't sign anyone else, the fans will be up in arms.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Transfers are always a gamble and makes tits of us all.

I remember really wanting to get the Markovic, Lovren, even Borini  deals over the line. Your club targets them so you trust in them and convince yourself they will make the difference.

Its a bit like Robertson, because we have expressed an interest, I kind of want it done, based on nothing but the fact Klopp/Club want him.

Unless he's an utter revelation, deep down, you know he will have done well if he hasn't been sold/loaned within 2 years

I don't think Klopp wants Robertson. It's hardly like he was scouring the lower reaches of the Scottish Prem for talent when he was at Dortmund. 

This is a classic committee signing. It even has the tell tale "we've been watching him for years" caveat appearing in most of the articles. 

Yeah, I wasn't aiming those comments at you, mate; just as part of the ongoing conversation about the fans reaction in general. You're right, there's nothing we can actually do, but it does feel a bit like trudging through mud to hear how shit we are for not having signed X yet. Its a matter of perspective. We might well be on the verge of a giant transfer window, with serious holes in the first team filled with top drawer players. If that does happen, the self-imposed misery would prove entirely pointless.

It's actually quite strange that generally the shitty, snarky comments with very little thought behind them prove very popular here, yet thoughtful, well reasoned posts are overlooked. Ah well, whatever will be...

you-have-alot-to-learn-young-one-thumb.j

• Upvote 4

I don't think Klopp wants Robertson. It's hardly like he was scouring the lower reaches of the Scottish Prem for talent when he was at Dortmund. 

This is a classic committee signing. It even has the tell tale "we've been watching him for years" caveat appearing in most of the articles. 

That implies Klopp is that weak/yes man etc that he would just stomach it?

Surely not?

I need to let in the dark side of the force?

Fuck FSG!

Damn, I quite liked it.

To my potential future shame or fame I am the founder of the "FSG are not shit" thread.

I need John to bail me out here.

My very credibility rests on it.

(bit late for that say all forum posters......) 

• Upvote 1

That implies Klopp is that weak/yes man etc that he would just stomach it?

Surely not?

Not really, it implies Klopp realises he doesn't know everything about left backs who play for other clubs though. How much time do you reckon he spends scouting for new players compared to the guys whose actual job it is to do that?

I think we'd all be yes men to some extent if our employer was paying us £7m a year. I don't hold that against him. 

I get that, but of all managers, Klopp is surely the one that doesnt put up with that

We're being a bit judgemental on Robertson but I suppose its possible that Klopp doesn't class Leftback as big a deal as centre back or midfield.

Klopps comments about "cars" suggest he doesn't want 2nd best.

This window will tell us all we will ever need to know about both FSG and Klopp.

Neither can really afford a shit season- I genuinely dread what would happen to our club if that was the case   

Not really, it implies Klopp realises he doesn't know everything about left backs who play for other clubs though. How much time do you reckon he spends scouting for new players compared to the guys whose actual job it is to do that?

Id put that down as ol'Harrys style rather than Klopps.

That said, he probably has better left backs at Birmingham

Here we go...

I think it's only a matter of time before we get the likes of Pearce, Joyce and Bascombe tweeting that we're moving onto alternatives to Keita and VVD. And we'll have wasted so much time.

Well, the opposite could be true, and we get our men. Then the patience will be looked at as a display of calm self control.

But probably what you said.

Ultimately every player has his price. Southampton or Leipzig aren't Real Madrid,even if Leipzig may become a major force in the future.

I can't help but feel that we actively look to encourage disharmony behind the scenes to drive the price down,only to piss off the player we are trying to buy and the other club. It's a common theme with us - all the other major clubs on the continent seem to be able to get the players they want if they really want them. The two Milans are back with serious money so that brings more rivals for top players.

Having said that, i think Jurgen might put his foot down to get at least one of Keita or Van Dijk. I just can't see us getting them both unless we sell Phil,which looks a strong possibility if barca sell neymar.

Ultimately every player has his price. Southampton or Leipzig aren't Real Madrid,even if Leipzig may become a major force in the future.

I can't help but feel that we actively look to encourage disharmony behind the scenes to drive the price down,only to piss off the player we are trying to buy and the other club. It's a common theme with us - all the other major clubs on the continent seem to be able to get the players they want if they really want them. The two Milans are back with serious money so that brings more rivals for top players.

Having said that, i think Jurgen might put his foot down to get at least one of Keita or Van Dijk. I just can't see us getting them both unless we sell Phil,which looks a strong possibility if barca sell neymar.

We did offer 65 million euros for Keita.

They rejected it, but it's hardly a piffling little offer is it?

@ronnie whelan - I am more optimistic than you - I think not only do we actively look to encourage disharmony behind the scenes to drive the price down,only to piss off the player we are trying to buy and the other club. but we also actively look to encourage disharmony behind the scenes  in our own club.

RB Leipzig owner Dietrich Mateschitz has revealed that the club have turned down an offer for Naby Keita.

Keita has emerged as Liverpool’s primary target this summer, with the Reds keen to enforce their midfield options ahead of a campaign in the Champions League.

They have pursued the 22-year-old for months, but Leipzig are adamant that they will not sell.

The German side themselves will embark on a first campaign in the Champions League this coming season, and wish to keep their key players.

But Liverpool are still confident they can sign the player, and appear to have lodged a £66.3m bid for his services.

“Lately we got a €75m offer for Naby Keita. No way! He has a contract and he will accomplish it,” Mateschitz told Bild.

“To sell him would not only be a proof of distrust to our fans but also the wrong sign for our players like Timo Werner, who is in demand too.”