You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Let's stop defining ourselves with H and G years. We are well past that now. The bandaid has long been applied. What is happening now is slow blood letting. It's like a frog being boiled in hot water. The slow constant lowering of expectations and constant reminder of what we owe and how lucky we are. These guys stand to make 700M. I would say the debts been paid and then some.  

I disagree, fundamentally it would seem! 

Personally I think that is just hyperbole since 2014 a league title challenge, two finals, a European final. Not good enough but far from boiling a frog!

Compare our record to Spurs - who everyone thinks are in a great place! 

What about Suarez? He had us popping for a bit didn't he? Nearly won us the title and then sold and never replaced. 

No you are right - we haven't (not sure we could), but that is were I can't defend them. Two transfer windows and £200m and the square root of fuck all. 

• Upvote 1

No you are right - we haven't (not sure we could), but that is were I can't defend them. Two transfer windows and £200m and the square root of fuck all. 

But this is my point. The lack of transfers and the lowering of expectations. 

We squandered the Suarez money, no two ways about it.

More recently we've been better in the market. Matip, Wijnaldum and Mane last summer was good, with the latter in particular being very good.

So far this summer Salah has been good, but obviously we have to see what he can do in a red shirt; and Solanke could be a canny acquisition. We need more. We all know it - which is why the forum is getting a bit twitchy!

• Upvote 1

Other than transfers and the stadium stand, what are we judging them on? 

Haha - I don't blame FSG per se for the transfers. Those involved have moved on and I can't complain over last years transfers. I think they have the main stand built - sound, looks good and we are financially far more stable than we have been for a while.

But - they could build the Anfield Road stand. And we need to see what this summer brings regarding recruitment. It would be gross negligence to not ensure we have at least three more players.  

More recently we've been better in the market. Matip, Wijnaldum and Mane last summer was good, with the latter in particular being very good.

So far this summer Salah has been good, but obviously we have to see what he can do in a red shirt; and Solanke could be a canny acquisition. We need more. We all know it - which is why the forum is getting a bit twitchy!

Can you take charge of our transfers please ?

• Upvote 1

But this is my point. The lack of transfers and the lowering of expectations. 

That is where I disagree. I don't think the original splurge could be argued to be lowering expectations it was just shite (Downing, Enrique and Adam for fucks sake!), and they did invest all the money from Suarez.

But - since 2011 they haven't spent any of their money! I can't defend that. 

But we know that a lot of deals are done in august, right? We know that. We have targeted our guys, we are still working on them, but the minute they become unobtainable, we will move on. There's very little point in getting pissy every time a twitter guy says something, coming on here and slagging people!off, including the manager, then when the news turns people are elated, over the moon, then back moaning and slagging when somebody else tweets something. It's daft.

• Upvote 1

That is where I disagree. I don't think the original splurge could be argued to be lowering expectations it was just shite (Downing, Enrique and Adam for fucks sake!), and they did invest all the money from Suarez.

But - since 2011 they haven't spent any of their money! I can't defend that.

They have actually, but even if they hadn't it's not a big deal. We need to spend what we generate. Had we spent it wisely, rather than in the fashion some seem to want us to do this summer, we would be far better off.

They have actually, but even if they hadn't it's not a big deal. We need to spend what we generate. Had we spent it wisely, rather than in the fashion some seem to want us to do this summer, we would be far better off.

I have no problem with swerving VVD or Keita, at all. I can see the merits of having them and changing targets who might be a ) available and b ) available for < £70 million.

I can't see the merits in taking months to get a 'no' then quite possibly using the excuse of "we had no other targets". If our scouting team can only identify a single player for each position, it isn't fit for purpose.

I'm aware there is time left but we can only go on the information we have and it seems like both deals are stalling and I have yet to hear about a secondary target.

• Upvote 1

I can't see the merits in taking months to get a 'no' then quite possibly using the excuse of "we had no other targets". If our scouting team can only identify a single player for each position, it isn't fit for purpose.

I'm aware there is time left but we can only go on the information we have and it seems like both deals are stalling and I have yet to hear about a secondary target.

So what if you've heard about a secondary target though? I mean, they get slaughtered enough for leaking targets, even when it isn't them, surely you don't want them to brief the media on other targets too?

The manager, who has proven himself a special talent, clearly wants the players, and seems to think we can get them. Why make up stuff about scouts, secondary targets, etc? We just need to wait, because we are not yet informed.

I dunno, mate. Informed decisions just seem better than howling school girls like a lot are at the moment. Not on this site exclusively, but all over. It's a bit embarrassing.

So what if you've heard about a secondary target though? I mean, they get slaughtered enough for leaking targets, even when it isn't them, surely you don't want them to brief the media on other targets too?

The manager, who has proven himself a special talent, clearly wants the players, and seems to think we can get them. Why make up stuff about scouts, secondary targets, etc? We just need to wait, because we are not yet informed.

I dunno, mate. Informed decisions just seem better than howling school girls like a lot are at the moment. Not on this site exclusively, but all over. It's a bit embarrassing.

I'm neither howling nor confident. I'm somewhere in the middle. But I've spent many a transfer window saying "we just need to wait". I mean, yea, we have no choice but to wait, but I'm not holding my breath.

But we know that a lot of deals are done in august, right? We know that. We have targeted our guys, we are still working on them, but the minute they become unobtainable, we will move on. There's very little point in getting pissy every time a twitter guy says something, coming on here and slagging people!off, including the manager, then when the news turns people are elated, over the moon, then back moaning and slagging when somebody else tweets something. It's daft.

Exactly!

I'm neither howling nor confident. I'm somewhere in the middle. But I've spent many a transfer window saying "we just need to wait". I mean, yea, we have no choice but to wait, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I wasn't aiming those comments at you, mate; just as part of the ongoing conversation about the fans reaction in general. You're right, there's nothing we can actually do, but it does feel a bit like trudging through mud to hear how shit we are for not having signed X yet. Its a matter of perspective. We might well be on the verge of a giant transfer window, with serious holes in the first team filled with top drawer players. If that does happen, the self-imposed misery would prove entirely pointless.

It's actually quite strange that generally the shitty, snarky comments with very little thought behind them prove very popular here, yet thoughtful, well reasoned posts are overlooked. Ah well, whatever will be...

• Upvote 1

Klopp made a big deal recently about how important pre season is and how important it is to get your work done/plan and prepare etc. I very much agree with him.

I would have expected him to be very against not having his key signings in place during it.

The idea of our key signings rocking up at the end of August is one I don't like, but it seems it is likely the way things are heading - must make bedding in and gelling a lot harder.

• Upvote 1

The best case scenario is to get the players you want, at the price you want, at the time you want. It seems that if the players you want are such that their clubs don't want to sell, the price and the timing both become an almighty struggle. I don't especially like it, but we'll have to be patient and see how it pans out.

If we sign VVD and Keita, the struggle to get them here will have been worthwhile.

If we move on to other targets, good players mind, then fair enough.

If we sign significantly inferior players, or worse, don't sign anyone else, the fans will be up in arms.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Yeah, I wasn't aiming those comments at you, mate; just as part of the ongoing conversation about the fans reaction in general. You're right, there's nothing we can actually do, but it does feel a bit like trudging through mud to hear how shit we are for not having signed X yet. Its a matter of perspective. We might well be on the verge of a giant transfer window, with serious holes in the first team filled with top drawer players. If that does happen, the self-imposed misery would prove entirely pointless.

It's actually quite strange that generally the shitty, snarky comments with very little thought behind them prove very popular here, yet thoughtful, well reasoned posts are overlooked. Ah well, whatever will be...

shut up you cunt

We took our eye off the ball in spectacular fashion just as United got their act together.

During our Heyday the domestic cups were big news. Then it became unfashionable to go all out to win them- to the extent that United actually pulled out of the FA Cup-I still cannot believe the arrogance of that.

With the top4 becoming the holy grail (as opposed to actually winning the league- (just ask Arsenal fans) it became quite normal to not actually win stuff.

Then the big clubs, whilst counting their billions and patting themselves on the back, suddenly started getting flack from fans that empty trophy cabinets and big bank balances are shite and no fun at all.

So trying to win the cups is coming back into fashion, if only to placate fans and give us something to cling to.

Our indifference to the domestic cups is a constant puzzle to me. We are well capable of winning them both every year but pretty much forfeit them.

Its footballing kamikaze for managers.

What any of this has to do with Keita signing/not signing I have no idea

Concentrating on the cups didn't work out very well for Dalglish.

• Upvote 1