You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I thought Balotelli was a decent risk to take. It wasn't that crazy to think that if we could have harnessed his talent correctly and he knuckled down a bit it could've been a stroke of genius. We didn't pay a fortune for him.

Honestly, I want the club I support to make high risk/reward decisions like that. It's more interesting. The problem was not signing someone better than Lambert as insurance for that risk.

Ok bollocks may of been harsh, 1 fact relating to 1992 is that then we were one of the biggest clubs with one of the most expensive sides, we failed from a business side and declined.

The point about Balotelli was it was not a football decision but a marketing one, as he would shift shirts. (nor was this a manager signing)

Wages are directly related to revenue so should go up along with any increase in revenue( utd actually have one of the lowest % of wage to revenue)

So the aim is probably to be able to offer bigger wages to bigger players as our revs continue to increase year on year. 

I have no probs with FSG on the business side as such but have plenty of gripes on the football side, especially in relation to transfers. 

(For me players make the difference at clubs not facts and as you suggest sometimes that can be because of great manager buys or good scouting(or the reverse), how our recent history would of been different if we had signed Cantona or c ronaldo!!)

I just really feel this is the time for some big spending.

I couldn't agree more! 

I could be wrong, I just can't see us not ensuring there is a CD and CM and maybe another attacker come the start of the season. 

Balotelli was a footballing decision, not a marketing decision. Rodgers was asked about it after he left and he said the owners felt he could be a £50m player with the right coaching.

Not that you'd get anything other than a self-serving answer from any of the characters involved, but if there's a grain of truth in them so much as voicing their opinion on such a matter, it's endemic of the problem to date.

Subjective though mate! Steve Bruce, and quite a few others would have a go at Rafa for class (they were wrong and a load of crap) - but quite a few Liverpool fans who wanted him gone agreed with them! Not sure why an opinion based on no facts is bollocks!

So lets leave Coutinho out then - are you saying there isn't fair few success stories? I think we have improved on that side - maybe not enough. 

Does it matter about Balotelli? Who bought Bellamy? Pennant? Morientes? Who bought Caroll? Cole? Can we not accept that all managers buy shite? 

As I said a little bit earlier - our wage bill has double in the last 10 years, so that has to be taken into account if you are going to mention revenue. 

Bellamy was ace for us 

Our best period of sustained success, when we won league titles for fun, and a bad year was finishing second, dried up with the advent of the Premier League. During the time before the emergence of Chelsea and Man City, even though we were still relatively successful, as the haul of cups we won illustrates, we should have won more.

At that point it was Man Utd and Arsenal, and we should have been as good as them. We let it slip. While they won titles and built it up, we went into relative decline.

Along the way Chelsea and Man City emerged, so all of a sudden there's four juggernauts. In the last few years Spurs have emerged too, though not with a sugar daddy. Their story has been one of good management at all levels of the club.

On our end, our period of relative decline culminated in H&G and it nearly sunk us. By the time FSG entered the fray we were well out of the running. As owners they have been as expected. They said from day one that the club would live by its means. They have not been sugar daddies but they have invested, as the overall revenue in the game has grown. Their payday will come when they sell the club for 4x what they bought it for.

After far too many years spent on the edges of the top table, we have just qualified for CL and we have a very good manager. Our transfer business is not done and money is obviously available. It seems an odd time to be having a go at the club and the set up.

What we were in former years is not coming back any time soon. Chelsea and Man City are both artificially inflated by external money. Man Utd have two decades of success behind them at the time when money flooded into the game, so they will unfortunately continue to be a force. Arsenal have their stadium and are a big and well managed club. Arguably they could be coming to the end of their cycle as Wenger nears retirement, but they are still there or thereabouts, and Spurs have been ahead of us in recent years too. We had a good season last time, and Spurs still finished 10 points ahead of us, and they have a new stadium coming in soon too.

All this is to say there are six big teams who all think they will finish CL next season, and all of them will think, with a fair wind, they might challenge for the title. (Chelsea and Man City will expect it, but all the others will be looking in that sort of direction too). We are in that group of six, and we are progressing in relation to recent years, when the norm was becoming a step below. With that backdrop the timing seems odd to me to be having a go at the state of the club. It's not what it was when we were winning everything in sight for two decades, but that's not coming back again any time soon, given the money in the game and quantity of teams we fight against who have plenty of it! But there's no reason why we can't get in there and do well.

I'm looking forward to the ride with Klopp. We're heading in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Our best period of sustained success, when we won league titles for fun, and a bad year was finishing second, dried up with the advent of the Premier League. During the time before the emergence of Chelsea and Man City, even though we were still relatively successful, as the haul of cups we won illustrates, we should have won more.

At that point it was Man Utd and Arsenal, and we should have been as good as them. We let it slip. While they won titles and built it up, we went into relative decline.

Along the way Chelsea and Man City emerged, so all of a sudden there's four juggernauts. In the last few years Spurs have emerged too, though not with a sugar daddy. Their story has been one of good management at all levels of the club.

On our end, our period of relative decline culminated in H&G and it nearly sunk us. By the time FSG entered the fray we were well out of the running. As owners they have been as expected. They said from day one that the club would live by its means. They have not been sugar daddies but they have invested, as the overall revenue in the game has grown. Their payday will come when they sell the club for 4x what they bought it for.

After far too many years spent on the edges of the top table, we have just qualified for CL and we have a very good manager. Our transfer business is not done and money is obviously available. It seems an odd time to be having a go at the club and the set up.

What we were in former years is not coming back any time soon. Chelsea and Man City are both artificially inflated by external money. Man Utd have two decades of success behind them at the time when money flooded into the game, so they will unfortunately continue to be a force. Arsenal have their stadium and are a big and well managed club. Arguably they could be coming to the end of their cycle as Wenger nears retirement, but they are still there or thereabouts, and Spurs have been ahead of us in recent years too. We had a good season last time, and Spurs still finished 10 points ahead of us, and they have a new stadium coming in soon too.

All this is to say there are six big teams who all think they will finish CL next season, and all of them will think, with a fair wind, they might challenge for the title. (Chelsea and Man City will expect it, but all the others will be looking in that sort of direction too). We are in that group of six, and we are progressing in relation to recent years, when the norm was becoming a step below. With that backdrop the timing seems odd to me to be having a go at the state of the club. It's not what it was when we were winning everything in sight for two decades, but that's not coming back again any time soon, given the money in the game and quantity of teams we fight against who have plenty of it! But there's no reason why we can't get in there and do well.

I'm looking forward tot he ride with Klopp. We're heading in the right direction.

Nope. Nice post but can't agree this is where our expectations should be Padre. I want it back, we need to be back where we were. We have the manager, give the guy what he needs to make it happen. 

What I'm saying is two decades of sustained success, with title after title becoming the norm, is not coming back again any time soon, given the six big teams - wealthy teams too, fighting it out at the top of the Prem. I don't think anyone will know success like we had for two decades, and Man Utd after that too, for that matter. They won't ever get back to that.

When I said we are heading in the right direction I'm chiefly looking at the manager - very good; and the progress made, going from 8th to 4th - which is good.

The next step is to consolidate top four, and anything beyond that will be very welcome.

I'd argue we are in the middle of our worst decade in my lifetime - have we ever had a decade with the exception of the 90's where we won so little? and even in the 90's there was an fa cup and a league cup by the middle of it...

In the 10's so far we have a solitary league cup and that is it.

This 'top 4' lark something we have achived what twice this decade so far is messing with peoples heads. We were pretty much regulars in it in the last decade the 00's - and of course we won the european cup in that decade too.

I'd say this has to be our worst decade so far since the 50's.

• Upvote 3

It's the FSG piss blanket of slow failure. You don't know you stink of piss until it's too late. You feel warm and just glad to have the blanket. But then the warm feeling goes away and you just end up stinking of piss and no one wants you anymore. 

I remember kicking Barca's ass at the Camp Nou FFS. 

I remember Mash and Torres, Gerrard and Xabi. 

Hobbling Real and giving them a damn good thrashing to boot. 

Is it really so long ago? Are we really just a top 4 team looking up to spuds FFS? 

Don't forget what we are. We're Liverpool. We're not top 4. We are poetry in motion, we are the fucking dons of europe. 

rant edit:

If we're not still fucking ace, then why are we valued at 1BN? 

• Upvote 1

It's the FSG piss blanket of slow failure. You don't know you stink of piss until it's too late. You feel warm and just glad to have the blanket. But then the warm feeling goes away and you just end up stinking of piss and no one wants you anymore. 

I remember kicking Barca's ass at the Camp Nou FFS. 

I remember Mash and Torres, Gerrard and Xabi. 

Hobbling Real and giving them a damn good thrashing to boot. 

Is it really so long ago? Are we really just a top 4 team looking up to spuds FFS? 

Don't forget what we are. We're Liverpool. We're not top 4. We are poetry in motion, we are the fucking dons of europe. 

I get that but;

That was all pre - parasites!

And that wasn't enough for people to give Rafa room. If I remember rightly this place itself wasn't particularly nice from 2008 on-wards. 

We took our eye off the ball in spectacular fashion just as United got their act together.

During our Heyday the domestic cups were big news. Then it became unfashionable to go all out to win them- to the extent that United actually pulled out of the FA Cup-I still cannot believe the arrogance of that.  

With the top4 becoming the holy grail (as opposed to actually winning the league- (just ask Arsenal fans) it became quite normal to not actually win stuff.

Then the big clubs, whilst counting their billions and patting themselves on the back, suddenly started getting flack from fans that empty trophy cabinets and big bank balances are shite and no fun at all.

So trying to win the cups is coming back into fashion, if only to placate fans and give us something to cling to.  

Our indifference to the domestic cups is a constant puzzle to me. We are well capable of winning them both every year but pretty much forfeit them.

Its footballing kamikaze for managers.

What any of this has to do with Keita signing/not signing I have no idea

And hopefully we now have a chance to once again go to the Nou Camp and beat Barcelona! That's what I mean by moving in the right direction. We are at least in the same competition again! (Qualifier notwithstanding).

I also agree the 10s have been dire in relation to what went before, but again, I'm seeing signs to be hopeful that we'll finish this decade right back in the thick of things again.

Poetry in motion - I'm having that! We looked like that until the turn of the year last time. Jurgen had us purring. Obviously the lack of depth saw it splutter, but the fight shown in the last few games to make sure we got fourth augured well for the future.

• Upvote 1

I'd argue we are in the middle of our worst decade in my lifetime - have we ever had a decade with the exception of the 90's where we won so little? and even in the 90's there was an fa cup and a league cup by the middle of it...

This 'top 4' lark something we have achived what twice this decade so far is messing with peoples heads. We were pretty much regulars in it in the last decade the 00's - and of course we won the european cup in that decade too.

Excellent post. 

I get that but;

And that wasn't enough for people to give Rafa room. If I remember rightly this place itself wasn't particularly nice from 2008 on-wards. 

Let's stop defining ourselves with H and G years. We are well past that now. The bandaid has long been applied. What is happening now is slow blood letting. It's like a frog being boiled in hot water. The slow constant lowering of expectations and constant reminder of what we owe and how lucky we are. These guys stand to make 700M. I would say the debts been paid and then some.  

• Upvote 2

As you say mate - the 90's - an FA cup, a league cup and another FA cup final! On the back of the eighties and pre - Chelsea and City (Wenger was 97).

We were penalties and a slip away!

This decade has been shit - but I think we are going in the right direction. Maybe it could be quicker, but I am sure we are moving in the right direction.  

We've been used to this level of failure for a while whereas the 90s was a total shock to the system having been used to success for so long. I'd say the 90s were worse. Never thought we'd go this long without a league.

I get that but;

What about Suarez? He had us popping for a bit didn't he? Nearly won us the title and then sold and never replaced. 

• Upvote 1