You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I thought he was ok last night.

I think @Scott_M has it spot on, when we're playing well, he looks good. When we're struggling, he goes missing.

He's started winning 50/50s in the last couple of months, so I've warmed to him a bit.

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

In other words, we need better. 

I think if we ship out Ox & get someone who can go straight into the team to play alongside Fabinho & Thiago, Keita is fine as backup along with two or three others.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Incidentally, I don't doubt his talent. I just don't think he has the character. Which is why he usually goes missing when we're under any sort of pressure. 

I have seen examples of what you're criticising him for, no doubt.  It's what I see in Henderson also.  I don't think either of them will be sold in the summer.  

Could be worse he could have cost a fortune, had injuries and not been what we thought he was but I don’t remember him sitting on the bench with a face like a smacked arse not celebrating our goals like  certain ‘ lovely lad ‘ who is in the same category.

I championed Keita then had enough, what will Jurgen do with him, he seems to have had enough of laughing boy though.

He'll be here a long time still if he wants. Chamberlain is the obvious one out and Milner, even if he stays one more year, doesn't have long to go after. We're not gonna want to have that much turnover in midfield and so we'll offer him an extension. Also, Klopp rates him. 

I've posted this elsewhere but I make no apologies for posting it here where it belongs... 

I'm not very good at these stats but since joining us in 2018 for £54 million, Naby Keita has:

Played 109 matches with 11 goals and 5 assists

OR

Played 74 matches with 7 goals and 5 assists.

11 hours ago, stringvest said:

He's currently in our best three midfielders.  He's regularly put in good performance this season including last night.  He's better than Wijnauldum, who has taken on qualities of mythic proportions ever since he left.  He works hard, he gets his foot in, he's available for a pass, and he will drive forward with the ball.

He's not the player I thought we were getting, but if you base your view on how he actually performs these days rather than the out of date stereotype of him, then you'll see he's not the liability that some believe he is.

Agree. Keita, Thiago and Fabinho is our best midfield, and also our three best midfielders.

He’s a very good back-up player. He would start every game for ever my team bar Chelsea and City, He’s never going to be worth what we paid Leipzig for him but that’s just sunk cost now. As I said in another you’d struggle to find a better fourth choice than him, and he’s quietly having a good season.

2 hours ago, rb14 said:

I've posted this elsewhere but I make no apologies for posting it here where it belongs... 

I'm not very good at these stats but since joining us in 2018 for £54 million, Naby Keita has:

Played 109 matches with 11 goals and 5 assists

OR

Played 74 matches with 7 goals and 5 assists.

3 goals and one assist from 13 starts in the league this season. Pretty good stats for a CM.

The one focus we should have is ‘we need to compete with City’ and judging by our recruitment of Little Luis, we are going for it. I expect the odd player to move on at the end of the season, and obviously, Carvalho is coming in. He shouldn’t go on loan should he? Is he Hendo’s understudy?

10 hours ago, ManéMan said:

This season we have struggled to score or create chances when he hasn't started. One of the few players we have that doesn't lose the ball as soon as an opponent breathes on him. He's been comfortably better than Henderson this season.

I just cant agree with this at all. Hendo has been below par a good few times this season but Keita has not even come close to those performances,the odd couple excepted.

• Upvote 1