You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

So how does a manager stop that ?  How can a manager predict in advance who's going to suck big time on the day ?

Klopp put his faith in Keita and was badly let down, for whatever reason. 

He then tried to rectify it by replacing Keita much earlier than he normally would have done.

For what it's worth I think Keita is done here now, but managers can't stop players having bad games any more than they can prevent them getting injured.

That's part of the responsibility of coaching a top level performing team. He loaned out Minamino because he wasn't adding what was required to what was already available. Keita has pretty much proven up to this point that he also doesn't add what is required to what is already available. All the same qualities that saw Minamino shifted are the same as Keita. Not defensive enough, too short etc. So Minamino has been loaned out to protect the team's performance level while protecting the player. This makes sense. 

To play another player who has pretty much the same qualities, performance levels and output levels and place thats level of responsibility on them in such an important match is most definitely asking for trouble. 

9 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

There there, no need to be upset.

I'm sure somebody will recognize your hindsight tactical genius, it just won't be me.

Oh, sorry, there I was thinking giving your opinion on that kind of stuff was the point of this forum, instead of having a stick up your ass and criticizing everyone that has an opinion.

Klopp can say and protect Keita all he wants, but he took him off on 42 minutes because he knows he fucked up, and not waiting till half time to do it was making sure to hit Keita with some shrapnel as well. Again, if you can't handle that being pointed out, you can fuck off. 

31 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That's part of the responsibility of coaching a top level performing team. He loaned out Minamino because he wasn't adding what was required to what was already available. Keita has pretty much proven up to this point that he also doesn't add what is required to what is already available. All the same qualities that saw Minamino shifted are the same as Keita. Not defensive enough, too short etc. So Minamino has been loaned out to protect the team's performance level while protecting the player. This makes sense. 

To play another player who has pretty much the same qualities, performance levels and output levels and place thats level of responsibility on them in such an important match is most definitely asking for trouble. 

It could well be that this was Klopp putting Keita squarely in Last Chance Saloon. Some players respond to that, others don't.

It's also worth remembering that what you see both players bringing to the table is not necessarily what Klopp sees, so he's obviously going to make different choices based on what he wants from each player.

It's all a moot point anyway, I can't see how Keita resurrects what little there was of his Liverpool career after the amount of time and chances he's had.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Oh, sorry, there I was thinking giving your opinion on that kind of stuff was the point of this forum, instead of having a stick up your ass and criticizing everyone that has an opinion.

Klopp can say and protect Keita all he wants, but he took him off on 42 minutes because he knows he fucked up, and not waiting till half time to do it was making sure to hit Keita with some shrapnel as well. Again, if you can't handle that being pointed out, fuck off. 

So everyone is allowed an opinion but yours is the only one that counts ?

Interesting point of view. 

As far as not being able to handle something, I'm not the one irrationally telling people to fuck off for having their opinion questioned.

For what it's worth, I'll re-iterate that I agree with a lot of what you post.  But on this occasion I think you're talking shite, understandably affected by last night's performance and result.

What's next, will you be resorting to personal insults ?

Just now, scudger99 said:

So everyone is allowed an opinion but yours is the only one that counts ?

Interesting point of view. 

As far as not being able to handle something, I'm not the one irrationally telling people to fuck off for having their opinion questioned.

For what it's worth, I'll re-iterate that I agree with a lot of what you post.  But on this occasion I think you're talking shite, understandably affected by last night's performance and result.

What's next, will you be resorting to personal insults ?

You don't have an opinion. Your default comment is "Klopp is the manager, he knows best, you're some guy on the internet". Riveting stuff. If that's the case, might as well not comment on any decision ever and not have a forum. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

You don't have an opinion. Your default comment is "Klopp is the manager, he knows best, you're some guy on the internet". Riveting stuff. If that's the case, might as well not comment on any decision ever and not have a forum. 

I have plenty of opinions, I just don't air them like I'm some kind of font of knowledge.  I also know when someone knows more than me and how much of a prick I'd look trying to make it look the opposite.

You're free to comment on whatever you like however you like, just as I'm free to comment on that too.

Is this difficult for you ?

24 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

It could well be that this was Klopp putting Keita squarely in Last Chance Saloon. Some players respond to that, others don't.

It's also worth remembering that what you see both players bringing to the table is not necessarily what Klopp sees, so he's obviously going to make different choices based on what he wants from each player.

It's all a moot point anyway, I can't see how Keita resurrects what little there was of his Liverpool career after the amount of time and chances he's had.

A thought occurred to me and I hope there is no truth to it, if there is some truth it would be one for the shitness of modern football. I wonder if there is a contractual obligation for a player to start at least one match in certain competitions as there are financial rewards available for doing so. If this is true, it would make much more sense as Klopp would have had to use this game or the next to facilitate it. It would be interesting to know if he has started in any other champions league matches. 

23 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

A thought occurred to me and I hope there is no truth to it, if there is some truth it would be one for the shitness of modern football. I wonder if there is a contractual obligation for a player to start at least one match in certain competitions as there are financial rewards available for doing so. If this is true, it would make much more sense as Klopp would have had to use this game or the next to facilitate it. It would be interesting to know if he has started in any other champions league matches. 

He started against FC Midtjylland, got subbed after 61 minutes.

634923B8-EED4-423A-BA44-757C684A35C6.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I've read of such things before with other players, it's quite possible.  Without having all the inside info that Klopp and his staff do all we can ever do is guess.  Or listen to rumours (not for me Clive).

It could just be as simple as Keita looked the business in training and sank like a breeze block weighted turd on the big stage.  He wouldn't be the first player to do that, he won't be the last.

But I think he flushed his Liverpool career down the shitter last night all the same.

We have a lot of work to do this summer with the midfield.

Fabinho  -  great

Hendo - great but starting to swim towards Matip and Ox territory

Thiago - great elsewhere but is he a good fit for us.

Milner -  has been great but rapidly diminishing returns.

Gini - off your pop

Ox - unconvincing and injury prone

Keita - see Ox

For the above reasons I can only see one of Keita or Ox pushing the door marked ' do one '.

Ox has never put in a performance anywhere near as cowardly as Keita did last night. I mean, there's been plenty of times he's been shit, but he's never been THAT shit.

I've had nearly 24 hours to get over how shit Keita was and if anything I'm even more angry about it. Pathetic of me really I know, but he really was that fucking bad.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

We have a lot of work to do this summer with the midfield.

Fabinho  -  great

Hendo - great but starting to swim towards Matip and Ox territory

Thiago - great elsewhere but is he a good fit for us.

Milner -  has been great but rapidly diminishing returns.

Gini - off your pop

Ox - unconvincing and injury prone

Keita - see Ox

For the above reasons I can only see one of Keita or Ox pushing the door marked 'do one '.

Ox has the advantage of being a homegrown player, so if one of Keita or Ox will be moved on in the Summer, then I would suggest that Keita would be the more likely candidate for departure.

Assuming that Gini will be leaving on a free, then I agree that we should be looking to reinforce the midfield. My preference would be Florian Neuhaus from Gladbach, as I mentioned in a long-winded post in the Summer transfer thread.

We can't forget that Curtis will see the majority of his playing time in a central midfield role, and I would anticipate that we'll see Curtis featuring a lot more next season, regardless of who else is in the squad.

Go into next season with the following central midfield options (assuming Gini & Naby depart):

Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Thiago, Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain and a new signing (Neuhaus for me).

Is that enough strength in depth? Enough quality?

Fully expect Pearce, Jones etc to start with. 

Without Champions league football Liverpool will not be in the market for high priced players. Some squad players will be shipped off(arnt we so clever). The return of van Dijk, Gomez, Matip and Hendo will be like new signings and Thiago after a year to acclimatise will replace Gini as always intended. Add to that the return of Harvey Elliot. 

The club feel given the reduced schedule of no European football(or that youngsters and fringe players can hold their own in the Europa League group stages) that a fully fit smaller squad can carry the burden of domestic football. 

A year on with Champions League football and full stadiums the club will then look to sign Haaland, Mbappe when the coffers are full again

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The home grown quota needs to be watched. We will end up using lass who don't need to be registered as home grown players to fill out the squad which in turns reduces its depth. 

Well we played the womens team for the first 45 minutes last night and look how that turned out 

• Like 1