You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

33 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Jurgen saw what we saw.  Didn’t meet the minimum requirement of commitment and intensity for a Klopp midfielder . As someone said the Gini for Holland plays differently than Gini for LFC. He gets it , does what the coach wants and adapts his game. Our front three can score , create and bamboozle with the ball , it is our midfielders job to win possession and get it to them in order for them to to their thing very simple. Ox did fine but I would have Jones ahead of Naby now. If we win league need to give this lad a run in the team to see if he can perform the required tasks of our midfielders in the future. 

Sure, Klopp saw what we see.

Doesn't mean he thinks what we think though.

We'll see.

48 minutes ago, an tha said:

Question is i suppose is will he be happy with that.

Well he should be overjoyed with that given his performances over the last few seasons. Strangely enough, he does seem to play ok in certain games, in the Barca 1st leg last year he looked like the best player on the pitch until that rat Rakitic tackled him from behind. Having said that he was only on the pitch for 25 mins or so... he seems to start brightly and then gets progressively worse.

I can't see many takers for him at minute...maybe Leipzig would have him back...perhaps as part of a Werner deal. In the end I think Klopp is a fan and will persist with him...if he is to improve, he has the best manager in the world to help him do so.

He's too slow and not powerful enough for this league. It's that simple. If you're going to be that small you have to be quick in the premier league or at least strong. He's neither.

He knows it too and it forces him to take up positions where he doesn't get exposed, much to the detriment of the team. He should have been hooked at half time. His lack of effort or inability to sprint back for their 2nd goal was shocking. 

1 hour ago, clockspeed said:

Jurgen saw what we saw.  Didn’t meet the minimum requirement of commitment and intensity for a Klopp midfielder . As someone said the Gini for Holland plays differently than Gini for LFC. He gets it , does what the coach wants and adapts his game. Our front three can score , create and bamboozle with the ball , it is our midfielders job to win possession and get it to them in order for them to to their thing very simple. Ox did fine but I would have Jones ahead of Naby now. If we win league need to give this lad a run in the team to see if he can perform the required tasks of our midfielders in the future. 

Statistically, Keita does this about as well as any midfielder in the world. Winning it and passing it forward through the lines are his best skills, along with dribbling. The problem is that he has inconsistency issues stemming from the injuries and it always seems like the other midfielders are trying harder than he is. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Statistically, Keita does this about as well as any midfielder in the world. Winning it and passing it forward through the lines are his best skills, along with dribbling. The problem is that he has inconsistency issues stemming from the injuries and it always seems like the other midfielders are trying harder than he is. 

Can you show these statistics?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm firmly in the let's wait another season clan, it's not like we paid a fortune for the lad and he is prepared to be a squad player which you need. 

When we start with him and Wijnaldum in M/F it just doesn't work as Nabby gets pushed out of his favourite role which Wij plays, left of M/F and drifting in. Let's hope the lad comes good, some players just need a lot longer to adapt, especially when we have a squad as good as we have at the moment. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Thank you for your application , unfortunately we have decided to go in a different direction.

Please accept our best wishes for your future.

Is it because I is gay? 

I'm loving all this "oh he just needs a run of games" or "to stay injury free" or whatever else bollocks excuse. There are a trillion players in our squad who will work their tits off and run Milly-esque through paralysis and amputation to get into our team whilst this no-mark breaks a nail in a pre-match warm-up and is out for twelvety decades. 

To me this is on Klopp. I've no problems with signing someone that doesn't work out. But persevering with him for so long, leaving good people out whilst he gets put on the TEAM SHEET (really?) reflects poorly. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm firmly in the let's wait another season clan, it's not like we paid a fortune for the lad and he is prepared to be a squad player which you need. 

When we start with him and Wijnaldum in M/F it just doesn't work as Nabby gets pushed out of his favourite role which Wij plays, left of M/F and drifting in. Let's hope the lad comes good, some players just need a lot longer to adapt, especially when we have a squad as good as we have at the moment. 

He was a pretty penny, at £60m. If he stays I’m not going to cry about it, I thought he was unbelievable in Germany, but it’s been two seasons now. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

He was a pretty penny, at £60m. If he stays I’m not going to cry about it, I thought he was unbelievable in Germany, but it’s been two seasons now. 

His injuries have curtailed things on a regular basis so although he's been here for that time he hasn't been available. His price in today's market is what you'd expect to pay for a match day squad player who you believe can make an impact based on previous club performances. We'd probably have to take a loss if we sold now, no need to do so just yet IMO. We have enough M/F players to wait things out in the hope he comes good. If by January he is still struggling then maybe make a move then, players tend to go for a bit more in the winter window if enough clubs flap and want a certain player they see as available. 

Another season and hopefully fewer injuries, and make a proper assessment. He has all the tools, and a couple of times has come back and played a few back to back top class performances. If he can nail down some consistency, he can be great. If he can't move him on, and let him play somewhere where they can afford him that inconsistency.

Guest Pistonbroke

One last thing. If JK doesn't see him as someone who can fit in then maybe's we can use him in a deal to get Werner with Nabby going back to RBL. Apparently the release clause for Werner is only 30 million euros and not the reported 50. I'd say Keita's value is still around that 30 million mark at least, plus RBL know what they'd be getting and his game may just be more suited to the Bundesliga. 

Don’t buy the repeated injury shouts as reason to persist for another season, if his availability and form don’t pick up sharply during the run-in. Quite the opposite. The constant injuries and less than consistent performances are inextricably linked. Not going to demonise him for it, it’s really unlucky and will be a huge shame if he can’t make it happen. Looked a real class act in patches.

Klopp isn’t a stockpile players in the same position manager though. In my opinion, he either becomes consistent in fitness and performance and we have use of that sort of player, he doesn’t and we don’t, or he doesn’t and we replace him with someone else. Be very surprised if he stays at his current level and we keep him but bring in someone of a similar profile.

• Upvote 1

I just think our football is too methodical for him. We play in very specific patterns and it just doesn’t suit him at all.  We aren’t built to have a midfielder who takes risks with the ball in the middle of the pitch and his position also requires a lot of defensive covering.  Every time he plays it still looks like he doesn’t know what he’s meant to be doing.  

I think Ox would have been pissed off not starting last night and he probably had a right to be as well.  Keita just isn’t showing anything to warrant the repeated starts he’s getting in front of him. Ox came on and completely changed the game.  Keita should probably watch what he’s doing because I think he similarly doesn’t really suit exactly how we set up at full strength but adds so much going forward it counters his negatives.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I just think our football is too methodical for him. We play in very specific patterns and it just doesn’t suit him at all.  

That’s a great shout to be fair. I remember Moyes once sniding about Rafa that we were very mechanical with lots of preset moves, but it feels like that under Klopp at times this season, particularly when attacking in front of a packed defence. 

6 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

You don't need even a rudimentary knowledge of tactics to be a football genius, and he's a football genius etc.

Was one of those during that period where it was unwittingly a great compliment and much enjoyed, because you could hear the pain and suffering in his voice.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

That’s a great shout to be fair. I remember Moyes once sniding about Rafa that we were very mechanical with lots of preset moves, but it feels like that under Klopp at times this season, particularly when attacking in front of a packed defence. 

I think he would be a lot better in our side of a few years ago where every game was like a basketball game.  These days if we can’t break quickly we don’t even try it at all.  We let the opposition get back in position and work the ball up the pitch going side to side.  It minimises the chances of us giving the ball away in dangerous situations where the opposition can get in one on ones and overload our defence.  It also makes it a lot harder to break teams down.  It’s why we are seeing lots of tight score lines.  We rarely batter teams any more but we rarely get exposed in open play either.

It means Keita isn’t getting the opportunity to run with the ball as often which is obviously his best asset.  

• Upvote 6

27 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I think he would be a lot better in our side of a few years ago where every game was like a basketball game.  These days if we can’t break quickly we don’t even try it at all.  We let the opposition get back in position and work the ball up the pitch going side to side.  It minimises the chances of us giving the ball away in dangerous situations where the opposition can get in one on ones and overload our defence.  It also makes it a lot harder to break teams down.  It’s why we are seeing lots of tight score lines.  We rarely batter teams any more but we rarely get exposed in open play either.

It means Keita isn’t getting the opportunity to run with the ball as often which is obviously his best asset.  

Can't add anything to that. Completely agree.