You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This is his injury record since joining. It's not great. If this is going to be the norm it'll be difficult for him to establish himself in the side and be a big player for us.

Hopefully he can put it behind him, but I don't think you can say the problems isn't his fitness.

naby_inj.png

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Most of those you mentioned were merely decent and there are other circumstances besides their actual skill level or play on the pitch that can explain why it didn't work out.

But in general, top players can make it anywhere and Keita was supposed to be that. If a 140 pound 5 foot 6 guy like David Silva can handle the intensity and physicality of England, so should Keita. 

I don’t think size matters that much. I mean Dembele is built like a tank, and he admitted it himself that he couldn’t handle the physicality of the league, hence his move to China. You gotta be able to run all day and still keep a cool head when the oppositions snap at your ankles all game. Keita might just not fancy that. 

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t think size matters that much. I mean Dembele is built like a tank, and he admitted it himself that he couldn’t handle the physicality of the league, hence his move to China.

The Dembele thing is out of context. He had injuries and it wasn't pleasant anymore for him at age 31 so he went for the Chinese vacation.

You're talking about a guy in Keita who played 25 times in the league last year, not 5. He's not terminally ill.

And we do think he's a top player given we signed him a year prior to when we could actually sign him, we paid a huge fee and Klopp called him one of the best midfielders in the world. 

My point basically is that he has no excuse unless he just doesn't like the country, the culture, language, etc... 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Dembele thing is out of context. He had injuries and it wasn't pleasant anymore for him at age 31 so he went for the Chinese vacation.

You're talking about a guy in Keita who played 25 times in the league last year, not 5. He's not terminally ill.

And we do think he's a top player given we signed him a year prior to when we could actually sign him, paid a huge fee and Klopp called him one of the best midfielders in the world. 

My point basically is that he has no excuse unless he just doesn't like the country, the culture, language, etc... 

or he’s just not suited to the league like many of the players I mentioned. Di Maria is another apposite comparison. 

13 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

This is his injury record since joining. It's not great. If this is going to be the norm it'll be difficult for him to establish himself in the side and be a big player for us.

Hopefully he can put it behind him, but I don't think you can say the problems isn't his fitness.

naby_inj.png

What's his injury record before joining? 

Just now, viRdjil said:

or he’s just not suited to the league like many of the players I mentioned. Di Maria is another apposite comparison. 

Di Maria never wanted to play in England in the first place. He was fixing to leave basically the minute he got there. 

Bottom line, if Keita is good enough, which he is meant to be, he'll make it here. If he isn't, goodbye. The suitability to a league thing is one of those tired cliches that get repeated and it means diddly squat. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Di Maria never wanted to play in England in the first place. He was fixing to leave basically the minute he got there. 

Bottom line, if Keita is good enough, which he is meant to be, he'll make it here. If he isn't, goodbye. The suitability to a league thing is one of those tired cliches that get repeated and it means diddly squat. 

I disagree. There are plenty of good footballers not suited to the premier league. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s cliche, or worse untrue. Veron is yet another example.

If Keita played 25 times in the league last year at least half had to be as a sub easing back into getting some minutes. I cant think of a solid month he has put together tbh, but I do remember at least three times we would have been counting on him and he broke down.

Also - a few of the players that aRdj mentioned have played at far higher levels than Keita ever has. 

Not sold on the fella. 

Doesn't look like it's going to happen for him. Shame looked great in Germany. The committee and Klopp have pretty much knocked every other signing on big value out the park. There was always going to be one or two that don't work. Hopefully we can get a chunk of the fee back from Bayern or Dortmund. Go get Kai Haverts. 

I wonder if they look at Milinković-Savić the hype dropped a bit so maybe available for a decent fee, though still expensive

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If Keita played 25 times in the league last year at least half had to be as a sub easing back into getting some minutes. I cant think of a solid month he has put together tbh, but I do remember at least three times we would have been counting on him and he broke down.

Also - a few of the players that aRdj mentioned have played at far higher levels than Keita ever has. 

Not sold on the fella. 

He may well be a very good player, and might yet be - he's only 24. 

But if expectation based on performance and reputation were criteria, then I reckon 117 games with Salzburg and Leipzig is a relatively small sample size.

Perhaps he absolutely tore up the ground in most of those games, I don't know.

I’d give him a pass for the injuries, but he’s shown little enough in the periods in between. 

I’m usually stupidly optimistic about our players (though I parked the optimism for Hodgson’s six months) but on the evidence so far, this one’s only going one way. 

I’d have him behind Hendo/Gini/Fabinho/Milner/Ox and even Lallana at this stage. 

• Upvote 1

I was in agreement until that last name. 

46 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’d give him a pass for the injuries, but he’s shown little enough in the periods in between. 

I’m usually stupidly optimistic about our players (though I parked the optimism for Hodgson’s six months) but on the evidence so far, this one’s only going one way. 

I’d have him behind Hendo/Gini/Fabinho/Milner/Ox and even Lallana at this stage. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Christ there's no need to kick an man when he's down

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

A great point ruined by the last 6 words

Not looking good is it? When he went off injured again last night after being shite I’ve finally started accepting he’s gonna have to be filed in the Harry Kewell category. I was initially hopeful he might establish himself this season after a settling in period. Shame as the expectations around him were so high. Hope we manage to recoup a few bob for him at some point