Quantcast
Naby Keita - Page 178 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
viRdjil

Naby Keita

He's meant to be the best of both worlds in midfield, that is; a creative force in addition to having the legs and workrate to be present everywhere on the pitch. Except he's been sloppy and tentative on the ball and never seems to be fit enough to run around. 

Klopp once said he thought he was one of the best midfielders in the world. We bought him a year early to ensure we would get him. This should be working out, it's kind of incomprehensible that it hasn't. He's just been mediocre and a bit injured. It just goes wrong sometimes. 

He was starting to play really well and impact games towards the back end of last season, and he’s been injured ever since. It’s a bit bizarre that people are being so definitive in their judgements 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

He was excellent against Burnley last season and there were a couple games here and there where he was decent, but that's it, really. Doesn't mean he can't bounce back, but he's never been good for an extended period here. 

1 hour ago, moof said:

He was starting to play really well and impact games towards the back end of last season, and he’s been injured ever since. It’s a bit bizarre that people are being so definitive in their judgements 

While lauding AOC at the same time. Seems a bit crazy to me too.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Captain said:

At least Paul thought so last year, predicting him as our player of the season!

Could have been worse. I predicted he'd be the overall player of the season, not just ours. 

Not many will agree on here I guess, but I dont think he’s been that bad the few times he’s been fit.

Far from what most of us expected, absolutely, but I definately think he’s shown signs that he offers something different, taking on opponents and looking for early forward passes. I think he’ll add creativity and a more direct approach if he can ever manage to stay fit for more than a couple of games running.

• Upvote 2

He needs a winner in a big game, Sunday is as good time as any. Once he has a big impact in a big game we will see a new player. 

I think he’ll be one of those players that when it clicks it clicks. That period March to April he looked really good, it’s a confidence/ sharpness issue. He’s one of these players that makes the game look very difficult as his strengths are the most difficult aspects of the game, taking the ball in tight spaces and running at people and playing the killer pass. I still have huge faith in him, as the glimpses have been there, I can’t see klopp giving up on a player he held in such high regard.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Not many will agree on here I guess, but I dont think he’s been that bad the few times he’s been fit.

Far from what most of us expected, absolutely, but I definately think he’s shown signs that he offers something different, taking on opponents and looking for early forward passes. I think he’ll add creativity and a more direct approach if he can ever manage to stay fit for more than a couple of games running.

Yeah that's about where I am. He's definitely been a little disappointing, but hopefully it's fitness and the old 'adjusting to new league/country' stuff more than anything else.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

People forgetting he was becoming an integral player before that cunt Rakitic done him at Barca

Yep. 

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

People forgetting he was becoming an integral player before that cunt Rakitic done him at Barca

Integral? He was playing okay but nothing to suggest he was a key part of the team.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Elite said:

Integral? He was playing okay but nothing to suggest he was a key part of the team.

he'd taken Henderson's place

29 minutes ago, Elite said:

He was definitely part of the playing squad and was playing regularly. The fact he started away at Barca in the CL semi final indicates Klopp trusted him in big games at that time.

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was definitely part of the playing squad and was playing regularly. The fact he started away at Barca in the CL semi final indicates Klopp trusted him in big games at that time.

I don’t want to be seen as to give him grief continually, but he wouldn’t have started if Bobby was fit. 

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t want to be seen as to give him grief continually, but he wouldn’t have started if Bobby was fit. 

Not something you can ever say with any certainty. I also thought Gini played in Firmino's role that night?

36 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not something you can ever say with any certainty. I also thought Gini played in Firmino's role that night?

Yup, but Gini would’ve started in midfield instead if Firmino was fit most likely.

35 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We currently have a midfield with Fabinho. 

Yup a true work horse, a very good one.  I'd like a midfield with a creative player in there.   We've three work horses. 

Hard to see how we'll ever do that with our full backs so pushed on. 

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Yup a true work horse, a very good one.  I'd like a midfield with a creative player in there.   We've three work horses. 

Hard to see how we'll ever do that with our full backs so pushed on. 

He's definitely not an 'average work horse'. He has much more to his game than just being a work horse, even if he does work horse stuff very well. I think that's pretty unfair. I do agree with you that we need some creativity through the midfield though. I just don't think you're right that it has never worked for Klopp. He has had players like that, including Goetze and Coutinho. I do think he wants somebody in there, though. That's what both Naby and Fekir have been about, I think. AOC to a certain extent, too. 

The 'work horse' thing is a bit silly. Look at Wijnaldum, for example. Scored one in three in a different role with Feyernoord and PSV and similar with Newcastle. Still scores regularly further forward for the Netherlands. Bagged two for us when we needed them most against Barcelona with Mo and Bobby out.

He's playing a less eye-catching role that Klopp wants him to play and doing so very well.  A team needs balance.

Still, I was sorry the Fekir deal fell through as we could do with a different type of midfielder in some games and he looked ideal. Keita or Ox haven't consistently worked out there yet, due in large part to absences through injury. Hopefully that will change soon.

• Upvote 1

I ( And Jurgen ? )  thought Ox and Keita would be ideal for the shite who need dismissing at Anfield , but I think that now it has transpired that we can whack them even with the solidity of 3 workaday midfielders he has a bit of a ( good ) dilemma.

Gini is 90% a work horse for us but in that 10% of the time when he is allowed to be more, he's a brilliant attacking midfielder. It says a lot about him that he's willing to sacrifice all that and just do the less glamorous, water carrying job Klopp usually wants him to do. 

A completely selfless player. Like Milner and Henderson.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dave u said:

Gini is 90% a work horse for us but in that 10% of the time when he is allowed to be more, he's a brilliant attacking midfielder. It says a lot about him that he's willing to sacrifice all that and just do the less glamorous, water carrying job Klopp usually wants him to do. 

A completely selfless player. Like Milner and Henderson.

I think Wijnaldum,Milner and Henderson and the term 'selfless' are why they play so often and are trusted to play in big games. Its all about the team and allowing others to take the limelight is what works better for the team.

To be fair to the system he plays in, Gini does get forward and into some great positions but boy, has he missed some sitters in his time as well as the spectacular.