You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was definitely part of the playing squad and was playing regularly. The fact he started away at Barca in the CL semi final indicates Klopp trusted him in big games at that time.

I don’t want to be seen as to give him grief continually, but he wouldn’t have started if Bobby was fit. 

35 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We currently have a midfield with Fabinho. 

Yup a true work horse, a very good one.  I'd like a midfield with a creative player in there.   We've three work horses. 

Hard to see how we'll ever do that with our full backs so pushed on. 

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Yup a true work horse, a very good one.  I'd like a midfield with a creative player in there.   We've three work horses. 

Hard to see how we'll ever do that with our full backs so pushed on. 

He's definitely not an 'average work horse'. He has much more to his game than just being a work horse, even if he does work horse stuff very well. I think that's pretty unfair. I do agree with you that we need some creativity through the midfield though. I just don't think you're right that it has never worked for Klopp. He has had players like that, including Goetze and Coutinho. I do think he wants somebody in there, though. That's what both Naby and Fekir have been about, I think. AOC to a certain extent, too. 

The 'work horse' thing is a bit silly. Look at Wijnaldum, for example. Scored one in three in a different role with Feyernoord and PSV and similar with Newcastle. Still scores regularly further forward for the Netherlands. Bagged two for us when we needed them most against Barcelona with Mo and Bobby out.

He's playing a less eye-catching role that Klopp wants him to play and doing so very well.  A team needs balance.

Still, I was sorry the Fekir deal fell through as we could do with a different type of midfielder in some games and he looked ideal. Keita or Ox haven't consistently worked out there yet, due in large part to absences through injury. Hopefully that will change soon.

• Upvote 1

Gini is 90% a work horse for us but in that 10% of the time when he is allowed to be more, he's a brilliant attacking midfielder. It says a lot about him that he's willing to sacrifice all that and just do the less glamorous, water carrying job Klopp usually wants him to do. 

A completely selfless player. Like Milner and Henderson.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dave u said:

Gini is 90% a work horse for us but in that 10% of the time when he is allowed to be more, he's a brilliant attacking midfielder. It says a lot about him that he's willing to sacrifice all that and just do the less glamorous, water carrying job Klopp usually wants him to do. 

A completely selfless player. Like Milner and Henderson.

I think Wijnaldum,Milner and Henderson and the term 'selfless' are why they play so often and are trusted to play in big games. Its all about the team and allowing others to take the limelight is what works better for the team.

1 hour ago, beejay said:

To be fair to the system he plays in, Gini does get forward and into some great positions but boy, has he missed some sitters in his time as well as the spectacular.

He’s one of the most confounding players going around. Plays like Iniesta for the Netherlands, and plays like Didi for us.

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Almost like Wijnaldum has a completely different role in a completely different team. Weird.

Exactly, yeah. 

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

“Centre midfielder”. Okay mate.

Yeah, nice one. Basically one step away from ‘Alisson and Mane play the same position of footballer’. It shouldn’t need to be said, but it gets broken down a bit from there. 

12 hours ago, viRdjil said:

He’s one of the most confounding players going around. Plays like Iniesta for the Netherlands, and plays like Didi for us.

I'd change 'confounding' to 'underrated'. He's great for both ourselves and the Netherlands in very different roles.

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I'd change 'confounding' to 'underrated'. He's great for both ourselves and the Netherlands in very different roles.

I have no idea what he's like for the Netherlands but I still think he is quite erratic for us,often brilliant but can also be quite anonymous. He's certainly improved but I'd like to think there is more to come. A tremendously likeable player but one who perhaps doesn't quite believe had good he could still be?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have no idea what he's like for the Netherlands but I still think he is quite erratic for us,often brilliant but can also be quite anonymous. He's certainly improved but I'd like to think there is more to come. A tremendously likeable player but one who perhaps doesn't quite believe had good he could still be?

I think it's that when we play crap sides that sit back, which is quite a few teams in the league, his regular role of not getting forward and playing conservative passes is irritating. He usually seems like a passenger in those games. Meanwhile, against good sides when we defend more, his ball-retention, workrate and physical ability to win duels stands out a lot more.

For the Netherlands he just has more offensive responsibility.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it's that when we play crap sides that sit back, which is quite a few teams in the league, his regular role of not getting forward and playing conservative passes is irritating. He usually seems like a passenger in those games. Meanwhile, against good sides when we defend more, his ball-retention, workrate and physical ability to win duels stands out a lot more.

For the Netherlands he just has more offensive responsibility.

International football isn't the same standard though to be fair. 

27 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He did quite well yesterday when he come on I thought.  Tried to quicken up the pace of our passing.  He wasn’t taking the obvious option either in the final third which played quite an important part in our goal.  It gave Robertson the extra few yards to deliver his cross.

He was ideal for a team sitting back and not looking to attack much. Gave him plenty of time on the ball and his sharpness helped us boss the latter stages of the game and equalise. AOC did a good job too.