You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Naby Keita is reportedly on the verge of being unveiled as a Liverpool player - though RB Leipzig coach Ralph Hasenhuttl has denied that is the case.

Liverpool and the Bundesliga side had originally agreed that Keita would move to Anfield at the end of the season.

But following Philippe Coutinho's £142million transfer to Barcelona, Jurgen Klopp is desperate to get the deal done now.

Keita has also been keen to join Liverpool early after Leipzig were knocked out of the Champions League. Keita would be cup-tied for the competition but would nonetheless relish a move.

The details of the original transfer agreement from last summer are reported to include fees that could rise to £66million, but it is unclear how much Liverpool would have to pay to sign him now instead.

Naby-Keita-file-photo.jpg

Naby Keita could be on the verge of joining Liverpool (Image: PA)

Leipzigs-Guinean-midfielder-Naby-Keita.j

Keita in action for RB Leipzig (Image: AFP)
READ MORE

Press Association Sport reports the club wish to retain a good relationship with the Bundesliga side and will not force the issue.

While there have been reports in Germany the player is keen to move now, RB Leipzig head coach Ralph Hasenhuttl has dismissed the chances of a departure.

"The situation hasn't changed," Hasenhuttl told his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday's meeting with second-placed Schalke.

"We have always said that there's no reason to let Keita leave early and that's the way it will be.

"Keita will play against Schalke this weekend and hopefully he'll play well. That's the only thing I'm interested in."

The final fee Liverpool will pay for Keita is dependent on Leipzig's final league position.

Should they qualify for the Champions League the midfielder will cost the Reds £66m, with the price £10m less should they only make the Europa League.

Liverpool-Training-Session.jpg

Jurgen Klopp during Liverpool training (Image: Liverpool FC)

FA-Cup-Third-Round-Liverpool-vs-Everton.

Klopp is looking to replace Philippe Coutinho (Image: REUTERS)

Regardless of any new agreement, Klopp's side take on Manchester City at Anfield tomorrow without Keita.

Klopp claims there was little to chose between Liverpool and City going into that game in September before Mane’s sending off at 1-0 helped the Blues win 5-0.

The Reds boss says that win gave City the confidence to put together their record winning run and seize a stranglehold in the title race.

“We played there a few months ago,” he said. “It was for me one of the stranger games of my career.

“We were really good in the game, slightly the better side, slightly the better chances, an open game, not fantastic defending, both on the front foot. And then we had the red card and it changed the game and maybe for Man City, the season.

“They didn’t do too bad before that, but after that they were like ‘Ah, we’re really good’.

“Until the City game, I think we were pretty much level. After that game, we struggled a bit and City didn’t. They used the momentum and we suffered a little bit.

“We lost Sadio, Phil was not really 100 per cent fit. It was a different situation."

Get the feeling that Coutinho was allowed to go because we had positive feedback from Leipzig about a January deal, despite this charade playing out in public.

The Barca deal made no sense for them or us, all seemed to accelerate suddenly and we were way too keen to play nice. Get the feeling that Klopp saw Keita becoming available and decided to not put up a fight to keep Phil. Makes more sense than the sale being random and seemingly leaving us short in midfield.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think Leipzig just want to piss us off.

Probably, the manager is basically just repeating what Ralph Rangnick the sporting director said. Probably after a larger pay off. 

Get the feeling that Coutinho was allowed to go because we had positive feedback from Leipzig about a January deal, despite this charade playing out in public.

The Barca deal made no sense for them or us, all seemed to accelerate suddenly and we were way too keen to play nice. Get the feeling that Klopp saw Keita becoming available and decided to not put up a fight to keep Phil. Makes more sense than the sale being random and seemingly leaving us short in midfield.

Well it would make more sense than us not having lined up a replacement.

Guest Pistonbroke

Ralph Rangnick told the German press that Liverpool have not made an approach to get Naby Keita earlier nor has the player told him he wants to move this window. 

Monaco want an extra 20m for Lemar, but we're apparently planning on throwing an extra 20m on a player who we are already signing in the summer anyway.

Surely there's a more logical solution to this.

I don't think this is actually true, but accepting your logic here, then you're essentially saying "we're going to spend an extra 20m, over and above what they think they're worth, to get one of these two players in January instead of waiting."

Well, if that's the case, don't you think Keita is the one to get? Lemar seems much the rawer player of the two, and if we are going to overpay for one of them I'd rather have Naby who is more ready to contribute to the second half of our season.

I don't think this is actually true, but accepting your logic here, then you're essentially saying "we're going to spend an extra 20m, over and above what they think they're worth, to get one of these two players in January instead of waiting."

Well, if that's the case, don't you think Keita is the one to get? Lemar seems much the rawer player of the two, and if we are going to overpay for one of them I'd rather have Naby who is more ready to contribute to the second half of our season.

I assume he can’t play in either of the competitions, though? As great is it will be whenever he signs, I still find it hard to get excited about the race for fourth.

We need more cover further up the pitch, but it’s difficult to be critical about us finally having a policy of holding on for our top targets.

Looking at Bundesliga, it's so close from 2nd to 10th (five points).  I don't blame Leipzig for wanting to hold on to him.

We made a deal and they want to hold us to it.  Can't blame them for taking the piss when we want to change the terms.

Well it would make more sense than us not having lined up a replacement.

Aye, we by no means had to sell to buy but it just so happens we sold our biggest asset 6 months before a world cup and bought a player for twice our previous record. It was obviously already agreed about Kieta as well and RBL just want to play the billy big bollocks.

Looking at Bundesliga, it's so close from 2nd to 10th (five points).  I don't blame Leipzig for wanting to hold on to him.

We made a deal and they want to hold us to it.  Can't blame them for taking the piss when we want to change the terms.

How much difference is there for them getting into/missing out on the CL financially?