You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I am not sure even if Naby left we would replace him. Jurgen said we would only be active if someone left or we had bad injuries. 

Now we have had a few injuries he said we will only sign the right player and if they had been available they would have done it by now.

What changes if Naby goes? Why would that player be available? Unless the owners won't sanction a move for a player until we sell someone 

So you've gone from thinking the club are denying interest in midfielders to strengthen a negotiating position to thinking we aren't signing anyone even if Keita goes?

Wow.

I really hope that we've had a new midfielder lined up for a while and Klopp has been playing the game of deliberately coy about it to keep the price down. 

Maybe the reason Naby wants out is because he knows he's about to be poked down the pecking order. 

Wishful thinking maybe. 

I read something a week or two ago his agent saying Keita doesnt get the recognition or chances he deserves? So, this news is not a surprise yet it is.

He has to go down as Jurgen's only major transfer flop. I think the best for both parties is we ship him out. He's never going to deliver what we thought he would. He effectively screwed his chance at the end of his first season here when he went to the AFCON despite carrying an injury and the club recommending he rest instead. But, he knew better, played in the first game, made his injury worse and it was all downhill from there.

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I read something a week or two ago his agent saying Keita doesnt get the recognition or chances he deserves? So, this news is not a surprise yet it is.

He has to go down as Jurgen's only major transfer flop. I think the best for both parties is we ship him out. He's never going to deliver what we thought he would. He effectively screwed his chance at the end of his first season here when he went to the AFCON despite carrying an injury and the club recommending he rest instead. But, he knew better, played in the first game, made his injury worse and it was all downhill from there.

Sadly very few players wouldn't do the same. Most of them prefer playing for the country than their club, the club is just a means to an end for many. 

55 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sad if true. 

Liverpool's Naby Keita contract stance as 'unhappy' transfer rumours emerge

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/naby-keita-liverpool-transfer-breaking-24785643#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

Not just sad. It's disgusting that we are looking to reward failure. 

If Klopp gets a bit more ruthless in moving players on at the right time and replace them, he will win shit lots than he is already. Some players do not need or deserve the amount of respect shown. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

So you've gone from thinking the club are denying interest in midfielders to strengthen a negotiating position to thinking we aren't signing anyone even if Keita goes?

Wow.

A transfer market is fluid. I had confidence that the club could see that we needed to make changes and the owners would back them so they wouldn't go into the season with the midfield options we currently have.

I didn't believe Klopp a few weeks ago when  he said the midfield wasnt missing anything and he couldn't understand why anyone was saying they needed a midfielder. Last week he then admitted they have had loads of conversations over the summer about buying players and they are either not available or the situation is very difficult.

That suggests - inspite of his public protestations at the time - they were trying to do deals to bring someone in. 

Maybe they will still do a deal. Maybe Klopp saying they are still ok to avoid getting shafted on the price because we look desperate. 

However, I think.the fact that Klopp was so open about their private conversations about buying players, something he never really does with the press, suggests its unlikely now and I don't see why us selling a player would change that situation unless the real blocker is our owners.

But of course I am speculating about what the club may or may not do. Most people seem to do that on here.

46 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Chamberlain.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sad if true. 

Liverpool's Naby Keita contract stance as 'unhappy' transfer rumours emerge

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/naby-keita-liverpool-transfer-breaking-24785643#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

So Leipzig are interested, we don't want to sell, our relationship with his agent is strong and he hasn't communicated anything of his unhappiness yet to them. However Sky Sports D are close to his agency. Be interesting to see if it is a negotiating tactic or what happens if he asks to go.

Just now, HBenn said:

So Leipzig are interested, we don't want to sell, our relationship with his agent is strong and he hasn't communicated anything of his unhappiness yet to them. However Sky Sports D are close to his agency. Be interesting to see if it is a negotiating tactic or what happens if he asks to go.

Just take it out of his hands and get rid. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

Surely no one is stupid enough to pay us any money for him.

Not happening.

Even if it is 15-20m just get it taken and get someone else in.

Get it done quickly and then we have two weeks to improve on him.

It is a shame the other waste of space Oxlade is fucked again as i am sure we could have rinsed somebody for 10-15m or so this summer for him if he was fit.

Just now, an tha said:

Even if it is 15-20m just get it taken and get someone else in.

Get it done quickly and then we have two weeks to improve on him.

Just can't imagine why anyone would pay a penny for him.  He might go on a loan, but we're not into that usually.  And we won't let him go on a free.

If we did get any fee for him I would imagine we'd have to sub his wages in some kind of face saving deal.

Ultimately I doubt he's going anywhere and fear we may actually give him a new contract as we've previously done even with so-imagined "unwanted" players.

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

Just can't imagine why anyone would pay a penny for him.  He might go on a loan, but we're not into that usually.  And we won't let him go on a free.

If we did get any fee for him I would imagine we'd have to sub his wages in some kind of face saving deal.

Ultimately I doubt he's going anywhere and fear we may actually give him a new contract as we've previously done even with so-imagined "unwanted" players.

I tend to agree that sadly he won't be going.

I do think that a club on the continent would stump up 15-20m for him though if we did choose to get rid.

The worry would be we'd let him go and not replace him - ok he is not much cop, but he is better than nobody and as we have seen already this season we can't afford to reduce our options any further.

I just can’t get my head round him. This lads had so much faith put in him yet has never been arsed about making an effort to repay klopp, while others who’ve bust a gut have been allowed to leave yet we’ve been discussing a new contract.  

He’s had one good season in his career and that was 2 years before he arrived here. It’s like he lost all his desire the minute he signed for us yet he’s got a bigger fanbase than Mo.

He can’t be that funny to be around in the dressing room. 

12 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I just can’t get my head round him. This lads had so much faith put in him yet has never been arsed about making an effort to repay klopp, while others who’ve bust a gut have been allowed to leave yet we’ve been discussing a new contract.  

He’s had one good season in his career and that was 2 years before he arrived here. It’s like he lost all his desire the minute he signed for us yet he’s got a bigger fanbase than Mo.

He can’t be that funny to be around in the dressing room. 

If we really are stupid enough to offer him a 4 year deal he should be biting their hands off. He must have some ego to be unhappy! 

I’d get rid. 

As with Mark Gonzalez, I was convinced that he was going to be boss. There’s been a few flashes of ability, but nowhere near consistent enough and too injury prone. 

A few whispers tonight that Klopp is interested in Sander Berge from Sheffield United. AC Milan are meant to be monitoring him too. According to Twitter, he was a level above everyone else in Sheff Utd’s game tonight. But, he’s another with a fairly concerning injury record.