You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In hindsight I can’t shrug the feeling that letting him stay at RBL for that extra season was the worst possible thing we could have ever done. He had a crap final season for them, understandably somewhat given his head was here but we basically brought in a player who’d been dialling it in for 12 months, and came into an intense regime totally unprepared and it’s snowballed from there. 

It’s a shame, but I think we’ve got to get rid for everyone’s sake involved. Get a decent fee but don’t push it otherwise we’re stuck with him 

• Like 1

He actually started pretty well here. Then got injured. Story of his time here really and completely lost his way.

The sheer excitement of the player I thought we were getting versus what we have right now can't be understated

34 minutes ago, Wicket said:

In hindsight I can’t shrug the feeling that letting him stay at RBL for that extra season was the worst possible thing we could have ever done. He had a crap final season for them, understandably somewhat given his head was here but we basically brought in a player who’d been dialling it in for 12 months, and came into an intense regime totally unprepared and it’s snowballed from there. 

It’s a shame, but I think we’ve got to get rid for everyone’s sake involved. Get a decent fee but don’t push it otherwise we’re stuck with him 

Yeah, that’s a good read of the situation. Agree that we should be pragmatic and take anything near half what we paid for him if needs be. We’ve rinsed enough clubs ourselves. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, etho said:

He actually started pretty well here. Then got injured. Story of his time here really and completely lost his way.

The sheer excitement of the player I thought we were getting versus what we have right now can't be understated

If by pretty well you mean 1 good game against a shite West Ham, then I'm with you.

Horrible signing. One of the worst in our history.

Let's hope we make some money back on him.

• Upvote 1

I think Divock and Cisse were a case of letting them stay at their 'old' club whereas Leipzig were in no mood to let Keita leave that season we wanted him here. If I remember right, he was wanted by a couple of clubs and we moved quickly for him. Leipzig dug their heels in.

There was talk of us paying more money, upto £57m to make the deal happen there and then but Leipzig were having none of it. So we settled on £52m(?) and him staying with them for another season.

38 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think Divock and Cisse were a case of letting them stay at their 'old' club whereas Leipzig were in no mood to let Keita leave that season we wanted him here. If I remember right, he was wanted by a couple of clubs and we moved quickly for him. Leipzig dug their heels in.

There was talk of us paying more money, upto £57m to make the deal happen there and then but Leipzig were having none of it. So we settled on £52m(?) and him staying with them for another season.

I think Origi and Cisse fees were both reduced because it was a delayed transfer, but yes, the difference is our decision was not forced, same with Grujić, except the consequences were similar. Origi was voted the worst (or laziest, don't remember) player of the season for the year he stayed at, was it Lille? So, similar to Keita. Cisse possibly made sense since he was raw and expected to further develop, but he didn't, lightning speed and hopeful finishing was as far as he got.  Injury didn't help, but it was more his head that was the problem. 

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

Origi was voted the worst (or laziest, don't remember) player of the season for the year he stayed at, was it Lille?

Second most overrated (edging out Yoann Gourcuff, Lucas Digne and Nabil Fakir). Florian Thauvin was most overrated. 

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/04/09/striking-prodigy-divock-origi-voted-second-most-overrated-player-in-ligue-1/

Not great, but not the same as being the worst (which is an assessment of your performances per se, rather than your performances vs. your reputation).

11 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Second most overrated (edging out Yoann Gourcuff, Lucas Digne and Nabil Fakir). Florian Thauvin was most overrated. 

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/04/09/striking-prodigy-divock-origi-voted-second-most-overrated-player-in-ligue-1/

Not great, but not the same as being the worst (which is an assessment of your performances per se, rather than your performances vs. your reputation).

Correction, he was not the worst, he was named in the worst X1 by L'Equipe.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-striker-divock-origi-named-9334407

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

That slide rule pass against West Ham was pretty good too. 

This is the most infuriating thing, he does have quality at times. 

When this flew in, I was excited for what he could do this season. Ended the last season well, injury troubles behind in, cracking game and goal in our coronation... but no, back to the same old. In fact, he’s shown less this season than he did in the previous 2.

0D6BE314-E7D9-4D6A-93E3-1E896411ED12.jpeg

Yep, very talented but completely let down by a weak mentality and proneness to injury.

In hindsight, we should have seen the writing on the wall when he arrived with no English despite knowing know he was coming here for an entire year.

• Upvote 3

If this report is to be believed, seems keita is wanting to try his luck elsewhere. Does seem like a rehash though.

Unsettled midfielder Naby Keita wants Atletico Madrid to end his disappointing spell at Liverpool, according to reports in Spain.

The 26-year-old has been linked with a move to the LaLiga leaders after failing to hold down a regular first-team role at Liverpool since joining from RB Leipzig for £52million in 2018.

AS reports that Keita is eager to leave this summer because he does not get along with boss Jurgen Klopp and has offered himself to Atletico. 

The Spanish outlet also claims Diego Simeone is a long-term admirer of the Guinea international but they are not convinced about making a move.  

Keita has made just nine starts in total for the Reds this season, leading to speculation regarding his future. 

Klopp has insisted that Naby Keita's future is at Liverpool. 

'Naby trains really well in the moment, I have to say. Klopp told reporters.

He trains really well, like a lot of other players, and looks really good in training. But this year now we need stability.

'We will make changes from time to time definitely, but it's not like we pick now seven, eight, nine players to change and say, 'Maybe we can win it like this.

'The long-term future of Naby Keita, from my point of view, is here, yes.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9606623/Unsettled-Naby-Keita-keen-leave-Liverpool-summer-join-Atletico-Madrid.html

Just on numbers grounds I can't see too many of the younger mids going this summer. Fab and Thiago are probably the only two without any question marks over them for next season for a variety of reasons encompassing age , injuries , contract and ability concerns.

If it's a choice between one or the other because we don't want too big an overhaul in one summer keep Ox and sell Naby, not even close. If it's not a choice, sell both.

Hopefully to be replaced with someone like this Bissouma lad.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Keita and Oxelaide  over the course of a season generally offer us fuck all. A moment the odd goal not worth their place in the squad. Pretty much expected what we've got from Ox but Keita has been a huge disappointment.

If we sold both and signed one reliable player in their stead we'd be better off for sure. They're not even half a player each in terms of what they provide us over a season.

• Upvote 1