You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I fail to see when we'd sell him. It's obvious Wijnaldum is going. Thiago is basically his replacement. They'll have similar standings in the squad and we've done that ahead of time because the contract is running out and we anticipated the situation.

But with Keita, we've rarely just admitted defeat on a signing and sold at a loss. I'm sure he's still highly rated by many, especially in Germany, but it's hard for me to believe we'd sell and replace him just like that. Klopp admitted mistakes at Dortmund and sold some players quickly, but this was a 50m signing. Much bigger financial implications. 

While I'd be happy for us to bin him I'd be happy for us bin AOC as well. It appears Wijnaldum is leaving, and Milner will too.

So we'd be left needing to sign at least two central midfielders next year. 

I guess ideally Wijnaldum would end up signing a new deal so at least we'd be left with -

Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Wijnaldum and Jones.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

While I'd be happy for us to bin him I'd be happy for us bin AOC as well. It appears Wijnaldum is leaving, and Milner will too.

So we'd be left needing to sign at least two central midfielders next year. 

I guess ideally Wijnaldum would end up signing a new deal so at least we'd be left with -

Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Wijnaldum and Jones.

Jones has done nothing to suggest he'll work out in our midfield three.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Jones has done nothing to suggest he'll work out in our midfield three.

He's 19 mate. Not saying he's the finished article but Klopp wouldnt be picking him if he thought that. And Blind conned the ref into giving him a foul by Jones when he was in a good position (tried it again with Sadio as well but the ref had had enough by then).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

He's 19 mate. Not saying he's the finished article but Klopp wouldnt be picking him if he thought that. And Blind conned the ref into giving him a foul by Jones when he was in a good position (tried it again with Sadio as well but the ref had had enough by then).

I'm not dismissing his ability. I just don't think he looks like our kind of midfielder. More of a forward - or more suited to other roles that we don't necessarily accommodate?

Jones needs to establish himself as someone who can play deeper. It's critical for his development. He can't pigeonhole himself as one of those #10 types nowadays because those players are becoming more and more out of favour. That position he played yesterday is where he should be.

As for Keita, since we bought someone with high quality who can play deeper like Thiago and we have multiple options who can play as the 6, Aouar starts to make sense as a good like for like replacement if we so choose. The price set this summer by Lyon didn't look so crazy. But I still have doubts we'll give up on him.

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

I'm not dismissing his ability. I just don't think he looks like our kind of midfielder. More of a forward - or more suited to other roles that we don't necessarily accommodate?

He mostly played for the U23s last year on the left of a front three but with licence to drift centrally, Eden Hazard-like. He was one of the top players in that league and still younger than many of his opponents. He's learning and developing all the time and I fully expect him to be a well-rounded, outstanding player within a couple of years, able to fulfill a number of roles in different formations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Jones needs to establish himself as someone who can play deeper. It's critical for his development. He can't pigeonhole himself as one of those #10 types nowadays because those players are becoming more and more out of favour. That position he played yesterday is where he should be.

As for Keita, since we bought someone with high quality who can play deeper like Thiago and we have multiple options who can play as the 6, Aouar starts to make sense as a good like for like replacement if we so choose. The price set this summer by Lyon didn't look so crazy. But I still have doubts we'll give up on him.

Aouar would be an amazing signing. Absolutely amazing if we could pull it off. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's only played Wednesday hasn't he? Not exactly high level a CL dead rubber against one of the worst teams in the competition. 

I mean high level football as in, he's probably not meant to play for a club that plays 2-3 times a week, like we do. If he can’t stay fit, he should go to Werder  Bremen or something, and play once a week.