You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have always supported Naby but he is doing no more than average. Klopp starts him and usually hooks him on 60-70 minutes so I'm sure he's doing enough,but barely in my opinion.

Who ever is in that role is usually hooked first, be it Hendo, Ox or Naby. You don't want to touch the back 4 or defensive midfielder if you can avoid it and the front 3 are on so many PEDs it would be harmful to take them off. So its a straight choice between Gini or the other guy and Gini has the best stamina in the league so it won't be him 9 times out of 10.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Let's wind back a bit mate before it goes tits up. Yes, I said nowhere near to being on par in reply to someone else. No one is suggesting you mentioned him being on par so lets not go down straw man arguments.

Im just stating my opinion. Even on last night's single performance both Gini and Hendo will be on the teamsheet before him. He's a lot to do to show he's on a par with those two in my opinion.

No need to wind back, you said he is nowhere near being on par, I say he is near, not on par, but near. He does have a lot more to do but he is not nowhere near in my opinion. We have our opinions, so no problem at all mate. Enough said for me.

It seems it's ok to criticise some players and not others on here. Naby has been one of our better players since the lockdown quite clearly.

People are expecting him to be Gerrard when even Gini and Hendo are nowhere near that level. He is performing the way Klopp wants him and the rest of the midfield to.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

No one said Gini and Hendo wouldn't be on the team sheet before. It was a simple point that he has raised his game to the level where if he plays we are still at a very high level. You're entitled to your opinion but to say he's no where near them is just wrong.

Well it's as plain wrong as saying he can now be seen to be on par with Hendo and \ or Gini (and Im paraphrasing here!). We'll just agree to differ.

Ive never called Naby shit, crap or whatever. I just think as a £54m player he's not delivering consistently. Yes, there are flashes from him which Ive said in many other posts.

I'll be delighted if Naby does deliver the consistency of Hendo and or Gini.

• Upvote 2

He's only 25, still plenty of time for him to grow into the role. 

Daft to compare him to the current Gini and Hendo, when Gini was 25 some thought he was an underwhelming signing from a relegated Newcastle. 

When Hendo was 25 his thread title was "fuck that shit with herpes". 

Keita is good, he's improving, he's getting the game time so obviously Klopp sees something in him. 

I imagine he'll still be in our team a few years and everyone will have forgotten about his slow start. 

• Upvote 1

Looked like a phenomenal statement signing in the way that Kewell and Morientes also did. 

Henderson, Gini, Fabinho, Thiago, Milner, Jones, Ox. 

At best, I'd have him eighth choice for the midfield three at this stage if we're every lucky enough to have most fit again. 

The above article and there is an article in The Athletic today both highlighting lack of press from the front in the Villa game and goals Leeds and Arsenal scored. 

It’s obviously not all Keita, not at all. (Firmino needs a firm boot up his ass as well). Pressing is something everybody has to do or nobody does it, there can’t be any half measures because the gaps we’d leave will kill us.

We can’t pick and chose which games everybody is tuned in for (ie the big games) otherwise we’ll struggle like we have v Leeds and Villa. 

If it was me, for Everton, I’d be playing Hendo, Thiago and Milner in midfield (certainly more leadership after Villa) and Salah, Mane and Jota up front. Fabinho in defence. 

54 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The above article and there is an article in The Athletic today both highlighting lack of press from the front in the Villa game and goals Leeds and Arsenal scored. 

It’s obviously not all Keita, not at all. (Firmino needs a firm boot up his ass as well). Pressing is something everybody has to do or nobody does it, there can’t be any half measures because the gaps we’d leave will kill us.

We can’t pick and chose which games everybody is tuned in for (ie the big games) otherwise we’ll struggle like we have v Leeds and Villa. 

If it was me, for Everton, I’d be playing Hendo, Thiago and Milner in midfield (certainly more leadership after Villa) and Salah, Mane and Jota up front. Fabinho in defence. 

Naby hasn’t been a hit but also I think it’s also on the rest of the team to adjust to Keita’s game. He’s never going to be as good and as diligently defensively as Hendo, so you’d want Trent to bomb forward less frequently, Virge to organise the line maybe a touch less aggressive, Salah to play less as a no 9 and more as a traditional wide player.

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Naby hasn’t been a hit but also I think it’s also on the rest of the team to adjust to Keita’s game. He’s never going to be as good and as diligently defensively as Hendo, so you’d want Trent to bomb forward less frequently, Virge to organise the line maybe a touch less aggressive, Salah to play less as a no 9 and more as a traditional wide player.

Sorry mate, but you don’t build an intricate jigsaw and then get a hammer to make the last piece fit. 

I don’t want to pick on Keita purely for Sunday, a few players were equally as poor or worse than him, but it did highlight the feelings I’ve had for a while.

Good when things are going well, invisible when they aren’t.