You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The whole situation with him is just weird.  In just the last couple of pages you can see people coming up with all sorts of reasons for him not really doing it and I don’t think any of them are right.  I could probably count the amount of times he’s tried to dribble past players in the whole time he’s been here on one hand.  He’s probably had less than 10 shots as well.  I don’t get this view that he’s trying to do what he did in the Bundesliga and is trying to dribble past too many players because it’s just not a reality.

The next one “he needs to pass it quicker” has got some elements of truth to it but I don’t think in the manner it was suggested.  He plays first time easy passes a lot of the time in the opposition half.  I don’t have a lot of problem with that but we aren’t going to unlock defences with him doing that if he’s doing it every single time and it’s surely not what we signed him for.   He can get caught dawdling on the ball in our half sometimes and it looks so amateurish because as much shit as our midfielders take they’re very professional in that position and it almost never happens when it’s anyone else so it really sticks out for me.

Personally I think his main problem and Klopp will almost definitely be thinking it is that the number 8 positions for us need to be disciplined.  They need to cover the full backs when they go forward and they also can’t be the players to lose the ball because that’s our biggest danger of conceding.   He doesn’t really compare in style to any of the other number 8’s in the squad which should obviously be a good thing but when he plays I think he puts the whole game plan out of kilter.  It might be one of the reasons he makes those first time easy passes because he doesn’t want to risk possession but it almost definitely reduces his whole game.

I’m in the camp that I don’t think it will work out here because he’s going to need time and a lot of games and he’s not going to get that because of the abundance of players we have in his position and the amount of games we are winning with those players playing there.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, El Rojo said:

All will be revealed. 

But it enough about my flashing. Time for Nabs to produce for us. 

For once, I will be pleased not to receive a PM. 

I'm wondering if he might be able to do a good job in the front 3 when it needs changing round, particularly in the deeper Firmino position.  It's got to be worth a go if he can't do the correct job in midfield.  Not ready to write him off yet though. 

22 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm wondering if he might be able to do a good job in the front 3 when it needs changing round, particularly in the deeper Firmino position.  It's got to be worth a go if he can't do the correct job in midfield.  Not ready to write him off yet though. 

If Kopp thought that he would have played him there in the Barca away instead of playing him at 8 and Gini as the 9.

He was starting in the big games after Christmas last year so the manager likew what he sees. There is a very good player there, just need to see it more consistently

He's meant to be the best of both worlds in midfield, that is; a creative force in addition to having the legs and workrate to be present everywhere on the pitch. Except he's been sloppy and tentative on the ball and never seems to be fit enough to run around. 

Klopp once said he thought he was one of the best midfielders in the world. We bought him a year early to ensure we would get him. This should be working out, it's kind of incomprehensible that it hasn't. He's just been mediocre and a bit injured. It just goes wrong sometimes. 

Not many will agree on here I guess, but I dont think he’s been that bad the few times he’s been fit.

Far from what most of us expected, absolutely, but I definately think he’s shown signs that he offers something different, taking on opponents and looking for early forward passes. I think he’ll add creativity and a more direct approach if he can ever manage to stay fit for more than a couple of games running.

• Upvote 2

I think he’ll be one of those players that when it clicks it clicks. That period March to April he looked really good, it’s a confidence/ sharpness issue. He’s one of these players that makes the game look very difficult as his strengths are the most difficult aspects of the game, taking the ball in tight spaces and running at people and playing the killer pass. I still have huge faith in him, as the glimpses have been there, I can’t see klopp giving up on a player he held in such high regard.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Not many will agree on here I guess, but I dont think he’s been that bad the few times he’s been fit.

Far from what most of us expected, absolutely, but I definately think he’s shown signs that he offers something different, taking on opponents and looking for early forward passes. I think he’ll add creativity and a more direct approach if he can ever manage to stay fit for more than a couple of games running.

Yeah that's about where I am. He's definitely been a little disappointing, but hopefully it's fitness and the old 'adjusting to new league/country' stuff more than anything else.