You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well my actual solution was that there should be a dedicated replay official who watches incidents back themself and then notifies the ref that VAR should be consulted within seconds of the incident happening.

The bit about the ref blowing up so that he can check VAR is really just a workaround which I totally understand and stated people like yourself would have objections too for pretty much exactly the reason you've objected to it. I even gave reasons as to why referees themselves probably don't do that as they don't want to be seen as relying on the tele to make big decisions. Ultimately though if both of those pen shouts were looked at and the right decisions came too I wouldn't have any problem with it taking an extra minute or so. They can add the time for the stoppage to the end of the half as they're supposed to with all stoppages anyway.

As far as the free kick goes, again that's where the dedicated VAR official would come in play. He notices the freekick was taken from the wrong spot and orders the ref to disallow the goal and have them either re-take it or if it's found to be deliberate cheating then just awards the opposition a FK from where the cheating occurred. Theoretically he could've just told the ref the ball was moved forward before the FK was taken in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Well my actual solution was that there should be a dedicated replay official who watches incidents back themself and then notifies the ref that VAR should be consulted within seconds of the incident happening.

The bit about the ref blowing up so that he can check VAR is really just a workaround which I totally understand and stated people like yourself would have objections too for pretty much exactly the reason you've objected to it. I even gave reasons as to why referees themselves probably don't do that as they don't want to be seen as relying on the tele to make big decisions. Ultimately though if both of those pen shouts were looked at and the right decisions came too I wouldn't have any problem with it taking an extra minute or so. They can add the time for the stoppage to the end of the half as they're supposed to with all stoppages anyway.

As far as the free kick goes, again that's where the dedicated VAR official would come in play. He notices the freekick was taken from the wrong spot and orders the ref to disallow the goal and have them either re-take it or if it's found to be deliberate cheating then just awards the opposition a FK from where the cheating occurred. Theoretically he could've just told the ref the ball was moved forward before the FK was taken in the first place.

They already look at replays without consulting the ref, that is the whole idea of VAR.

The reason I'm against it is summed up in your last paragraph, where the intention was for "clear and obvious " mistakes by the ref we will end up looking at incorrectly awarded throw in's, Fabinhos "fall" at Newcastle and Ritchies trip on Trent etc, they will just keep tacking on extra bits to satisfy the mob until the game is fucked beyond repair.

18 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Isn’t the system different from game to game? For example I don’t recall the ref ever looking at a replay screen at Anfield in the Porto game, but in other CL games that is exactly what happened (Citeh/Spurs if memory serves).

When they look at the replay screen it's because the video ref has suggested they should, as far as I'm aware. The ref on the pitch doesn't make that decision to ask for a second look. So it seems to me that when the video ref does make this suggestion, they're essentially saying they think it's a penalty. I'd imagine that the majority of times the video ref refers a penalty shout to the on-pitch ref, the on-pitch ref will give the penalty. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Suarez and Coutinho used to stock up on Corona beer in Costco when I used to go there. I wondered why they would swig loads of it but Coutinho said that he used to invite loads of people to his house and that was the only beer they liked.  

You were a regular at Coutinho's house? Did he slouch? As this could have caused his back problems.

• 1 month later...

Once it's not bad and he's back in time for preseason then it could be a blessing. I hate using Ferguson for an example of anything but not in a million years would one his players been allowed to participate in this. Klopp has fuck all flaws but not regularly telling international association's to go fuck themselves is one of them.

Was gonna say as much - really the only steady player in thoes 11's of the md to late 90s was Schmeichel - dont remember him bowing out of alot of international duty.

Cantona was always on the outside looking in at France. Yorke had already quit Trinidad - then did players like Stam or Van Nistlerooy bail on internationals??

It was mostly a load of English, a few Irish fellas and Ole at the wheel

44 minutes ago, Grinch said:

African fas aren't ones to fuck with.   Bit harder than convincing Ryan Giggs its pointless to play qualifiers for Wales. 

African FA's are also generally skint. The English FA had to pay Newcastle £10m for an injury to Michael Owen in the 2006 world cup. I doubt Guinea have that kind of cash or even adequate insurance to pay Naby's wages for a few months. If they can't afford it then they should'nt be taking him if advised he was injured.

10 hours ago, No2 said:

African FA's are also generally skint. The English FA had to pay Newcastle £10m for an injury to Michael Owen in the 2006 world cup. I doubt Guinea have that kind of cash or even adequate insurance to pay Naby's wages for a few months. If they can't afford it then they should'nt be taking him if advised he was injured.

I agree but those cunts at FIFA allow countries to dictate rather than vice versa. We should be bigger cunts ourselves regarding these things though.