You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has there ever been a goal scored where someone can't be blamed for it? On the radio yesterday someone was saying Allison was at fault for the way he set up his wall

Sometimes you have to accept you've been undone by some great play

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Has there ever been a goal scored where someone can't be blamed for it? On the radio yesterday someone was saying Allison was at fault for the way he set up his wall

I've been saying that since the evening of the game.

Take nothing away from the free kick, it was a brilliant strike.

But if Gomez was lined up slightly outside the post, which is what we were taught when we were young, he'd not have scored.

Wall.JPG

17 hours ago, Stickman said:

I'd agree with that a little bit as I've always felt keepers rely on their wall too much. And as Messi is a left footer then forcing him to shoot to Alisson's right would have made it easier to save. The photo on here is interesting as I'd have to say it bears out that criticism,a little. Still was a fantastic free kick though.

On 03/05/2019 at 10:42, LF:D said:

Their goal came because Van Dijk didn't track the excellent run by Suarez.  Van Dijk has been immense this season, but that was poor defending by him.  

Nope. It came from a number of different things. Putting it all on VVD is silly. 

• Upvote 1

I see the Guinea FA boss already saying Nabby will play fully fit or not. The abductor does not stop him playing and he belongs to Guinea before Liverpool according to him. Internagional football needs fucked off. The cunts always happy to fuck players and send them back crocked

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I see the Guinea FA boss already saying Nabby will play fully fit or not. The abductor does not stop him playing and he belongs to Guinea before Liverpool according to him. Internagional football needs fucked off. The cunts always happy to fuck players and send them back crocked

It means a lot to these African nations as they dont have much to compete for,but our club should make sure they don't release him as we pay his wages not the national team.

19 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This. The foul was at least 5 yards back from where the free kick was taken. Probably 7 or 8.

The kind of thing that VAR should pick up IMO.

It is blatant cheating and i am surprised more has not been made of it.

9 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Dreadful first season given the fee, hype and expectation, body language has been much improved the last few weeks though as have his performances, possibly made of Victoria Sponge and still has it all to prove

What a miserable, miserable post. He's done ok. He will be class

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Agree. I started feeling like 30 seconds before Messi took the free kick that the ball was too far forwards. At that moment the ball was exactly on «the line» made out by the different shades of green, made by the way the grass is cut. After this Messi moved the ball another 1.5-2 yards further forwards, deliberately rubbing out the vanishing foam from the ref in the prosess.

He's been a disappointment but we don't have to rely on signings hitting the ground running anymore because we have a solid base. That's one of the few positives. If he can stay fit, I don't think there's any way he doesn't improve. That was the worst of him this season.  

10 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree. I started feeling like 30 seconds before Messi took the free kick that the ball was too far forwards. At that moment the ball was exactly on «the line» made out by the different shades of green, made by the way the grass is cut. After this Messi moved the ball another 1.5-2 yards further forwards, deliberately rubbing out the vanishing foam from the ref in the prosess.

Absolutely should be dealt with - As said no way he scores from where it should have been taken from.

He knows that and that is why the cheating twat moved it.

22 hours ago, an tha said:

VAR should've given us a pen as well. It's one of those things where it depends how much you want to forego what's always been the case for what is clearly the better option. Right now it's up to the refs and linesman to decide whether VAR is to be consulted and I think the Ref has final say even if a linesman mentions it to him (could be wrong). It should be that a replay official is responsible for insisting that the referee consult VAR when he spots something that's gone unnoticed or what appears to be a clear error on said officials part. That of course would have people saying it undermines the authority of the head official on the pitch and would lead to everything being overanalyzed and therefore slow down the game too much.

The problem is the way it is now, refs shirk responsibility and so it doesn't even get used all of the time when it should be. For me a good ref would've blown for a pen, consulted VAR and then either reversed himself if he truly thought it wasn't a pen or awarded it. I suppose the argument against that though is are refs going to be penalized for reversing themselves or being seen as relying too much on VAR? (Not getting the call for big games, not working the WC, etc.) As far as the FK being taken further forward that absolutely has to be called out by someone as it's clear as day to anyone with a working pair of eyes.

19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

When should VAR have given us a pen? Don't remember us even having a shout.

I thought Pique bowled over Mane in the penalty area, maybe it wasn't as clear cut as I thought at the time as I haven't looked back at it but I thought it should've been looked at.

37 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I thought Pique bowled over Mane in the penalty area, maybe it wasn't as clear cut as I thought at the time as I haven't looked back at it but I thought it should've been looked at.

I thought it was a pen myself. The defender was much too close and bundled Mane over. He even had the whistle in his mouth but shit out of making a big decision against the homeboys.

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

VAR should've given us a pen as well. It's one of those things where it depends how much you want to forego what's always been the case for what is clearly the better option. Right now it's up to the refs and linesman to decide whether VAR is to be consulted and I think the Ref has final say even if a linesman mentions it to him (could be wrong). It should be that a replay official is responsible for insisting that the referee consult VAR when he spots something that's gone unnoticed or what appears to be a clear error on said officials part. That of course would have people saying it undermines the authority of the head official on the pitch and would lead to everything being overanalyzed and therefore slow down the game too much.

The problem is the way it is now, refs shirk responsibility and so it doesn't even get used all of the time when it should be. For me a good ref would've blown for a pen, consulted VAR and then either reversed himself if he truly thought it wasn't a pen or awarded it. I suppose the argument against that though is are refs going to be penalized for reversing themselves or being seen as relying too much on VAR? (Not getting the call for big games, not working the WC, etc.) As far as the FK being taken further forward that absolutely has to be called out by someone as it's clear as day to anyone with a working pair of eyes.

This post and the one just after are the problem in a nutshell with VAR.

youve gone from saying with total authority that it’s the superior option and the ref should have given us a pen, so he could then watch the telly for a bit to make his mind up, over something you think might’ve been a good shout but aren’t sure about.

on the same basis, he should’ve given one for the coutinho tumble before watching the telly for a bit and deciding if that was one.

thats two stoppages for decisions that on both occasions could’ve gone either way.

the ref shouldn’t need telly to see that the ball has been moved for the free kick. I didn’t notice but between 3 officials and some squirty cream, they should be able to do it without a telly.

in fact, if nobody notices how do they know to look at the telly?

The obvious foul in the box by Dier against Bournemouth is the argument for VAR if you want to make them. An OBVIOUS foul that was missed.

not these clutching at straws, I’d have given the one for us but not the one against us, give it so you can check it, shite.

On 05/05/2019 at 09:58, an tha said:

Gary McAllister will be along shortly to neg this.

It doesn't need VAR. It just needs refs to do their job. Every player knows they don’t, so all try to take advantage. 

• Upvote 1