You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean obviously that could happen, he's a talented player. Doesn't mean the people rightfully pointing out he's been pants this season are wrong. 

The dumb ones are the people saying we should sell him, though. Absolutely ridiculous. 

I think they are wrong, though.

He's not been great, obviously. Miles below what we were expecting and hoping for. But if you look at his numbers they're not terrible at all. He's our best ball-progresser, for example, which is an often-overlooked but quite important part of how a midfield helps you win games. A key reason why we win more when he starts, as seen above (and yes, I'll admit that it's also shaded by him starting fewer games against big teams as well).

So while I'm perfectly happy to admit that he's been disappointing, that's only because my expectations were so high. In terms of actual performance he's been slightly below average, but in the context of our best side in over 20 years it's not at all as if he's been "pants." I still think he's going to do an Oxlade-Chamberlain or a Fabinho and put it together at some point like a switch flipping and then he'll be great for us.

Guest Alex_K
56 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

But if you look at his numbers they're not terrible at all.

Cost 55 million. Scored none. Created one "big chance". Created one assist. Won 35% of his tackles in midfield. And this is while playing pretty much universally the dross of the league (Everton excluded!). He's put Andy Carroll well and truly in the shade at the moment.

Chamberlain -- who was rightly derided for his average performances during the earlier parts of last season before improving dramatically around this time of year -- by contrast had 5 goals and 8 assists in what was a promising but still pretty average season prior to his injury in April. The same month will probably be a pretty defining one for Keita -- if he can get onto the pitch ahead of the 2019 version of Lallana, that is.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean obviously that could happen, he's a talented player. Doesn't mean the people rightfully pointing out he's been pants this season are wrong. 

The dumb ones are the people saying we should sell him, though. Absolutely ridiculous. 

It depends right, if we were £40m short for Coutinho, and Dortmund offered that for Keita, you’d be silly not to consider it. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think they are wrong, though.

He's not been great, obviously. Miles below what we were expecting and hoping for. But if you look at his numbers they're not terrible at all. He's our best ball-progresser, for example, which is an often-overlooked but quite important part of how a midfield helps you win games. A key reason why we win more when he starts, as seen above (and yes, I'll admit that it's also shaded by him starting fewer games against big teams as well).

So while I'm perfectly happy to admit that he's been disappointing, that's only because my expectations were so high. In terms of actual performance he's been slightly below average, but in the context of our best side in over 20 years it's not at all as if he's been "pants." I still think he's going to do an Oxlade-Chamberlain or a Fabinho and put it together at some point like a switch flipping and then he'll be great for us.

Yeah, I've seen those underlying numbers and people have said they're good, but as Alex said above, that's just an absurdly low bar to have for a player we paid a lot of money for. He's done nothing tangible. 

55 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

It depends right, if we were £40m short for Coutinho, and Dortmund offered that for Keita, you’d be silly not to consider it. 

No it doesn't depend. No one should be in the business of taking a 15m loss on a player after a single season. Especially when the manager wanted him so badly. 

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He's the only one not playing regularly who has actually got worse. I thought he'd be player of the year by now after eclipsing the Ox in the treatment room battle of non starters.

Probably the only player who hasn’t really shown anything for people to be able to pin their hopes on unfortunately.

Guest Alex_K

I thought it was a joke that he wasn't in the Tottenham squad but no, it looks like that's actually the case. Klopp has really been singing the praises of Lallana this week. With Chamberlain also back in full training, there could easily be an eventuality where Keita finds himself at the bottom of the Fabinho/Wijnaldum/Henderson/Lallana/Chamberlain/Milner tree, and not even in the squad never mind on the pitch.

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Out of the squad for spurs. 

45BDB5A1-BA1A-4A8D-B8AC-811DBA39F0A2.jpeg

It looks like Lovren has done him in. I doubt thats the case as Lovren normally gets injured by kicking a football too hard. 

He'll get a second season, and rightly so. It seems utterly bizarre that he's gone from the best player in the Bundesliga, a very good league, and probably the one most similar to ours in terms of style, to looking like he's never played the sport before.

Maybe the waiting for a year thing didn't help. 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

He'll get a second season, and rightly so. It seems utterly bizarre that he's gone from the best player in the Bundesliga, a very good league, and probably the one most similar to ours in terms of style, to looking like he's never played the sport before.

Not bothering his hole to learn the language wouldn't help either. 

Maybe the lad is trying, but can't grasp the language, but contrast him to Alisson, who in a recent interview was saying how he has English lessons every day. 

Is keita really trying as hard as him? 

No doubting the guys talents, and I have to admit I really thought he was going to be the new Gerard, or close enough anyway. But he's just been bang average. 

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It's not that good tbf, outside of Bayern there's only Dortmund who would have any hope of challenging the top six in England and they'd probably finish 7th.

Obviously that's due to financial reasons but it is what it is.  

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Not bothering his hole to learn the language wouldn't help either. 

Maybe the lad is trying, but can't grasp the language, but contrast him to Alisson, who in a recent interview was saying how he has English lessons every day. 

Is keita really trying as hard as him? 

No doubting the guys talents, and I have to admit I really thought he was going to be the new Gerard, or close enough anyway. But he's just been bang average. 

I think there is a reason why he's been bang average. It's the lad's first season and he's been in and out of the side with injury for most of it. He needs a large period without injury before we can truly judge him.