You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I care more about winning the league than kietas personal improvement. He wouldn't start for me now, wait until we are in comfortable positions in games then bring him on. 

Keita’s personal improvement would help us win the title IMO. I may have gone a touch overboard with never taking him off, but just don’t drop him the next game.. keep faith in him, and I honestly think he’d improve. He can’t not. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I care more about winning the league than kietas personal improvement. He wouldn't start for me now, wait until we are in comfortable positions in games then bring him on. 

Agree with that. From what Klopp said on Friday, the Ox will be back this season so we’ll hopefully have that additional option soon. 

Hopefully he’ll hit the ground running next season, but he offers very little right now. 

A prime example of the benefit of signing players from Premier League clubs. Give them time to get established in low-pressure games before they come here. If we could have signed him and loaned him to Southampton for a season I'm sure he'd be much better off now. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

You don’t remember the turn and pass against West Ham, it the excellent ball to set robbo’s assist up in the same game, or him nutmegging two players one after the other?

I'm not being facetious but I don't. I either missed that game or don't recall that happening. 

So that's two examples then. Still worrying to me. Hoping that it's just a settling issue 

6 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'm not being facetious but I don't. I either missed that game or don't recall that happening. 

So that's two examples then. Still worrying to me. Hoping that it's just a settling issue 

Nothing in here that you look at and think... yep, he’s got ‘something’?

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Nothing in here that you look at and think... yep, he’s got ‘something’?

So two examples then. Palace and West Ham. I accept in these games he did some good things.  Players can have blinders in the odd games so I'm still concerned but as I've said, hopefully I am wrong and he will come good. 

8 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

So two examples then. Palace and West Ham. I accept in these games he did some good things.  Players can have blinders in the odd games so I'm still concerned but as I've said, hopefully I am wrong and he will come good. 

There’s more than two examples in that video alone, but my point (whilst generally agreeing about levels of concern) is that he does do stuff that makes me think he has a lot in his locker. Like you say, I hope he gets confidence and shows how good he can be. He was stellar in Germany. 

I said it in the match day thread yesterday, I think he’s struggling with the style of football.  The vast majority of teams we play against defend deep with lots of players behind the ball.  It requires us to be patient and play the ball from side to side.  When I watch him I always think he’s either playing too safe because he doesn’t want to give the ball away when we are committed too high up the pitch or he’s doing something really daft and risky in situations when we are breaking.  That makes him a liability defensively without getting any benefit from his attacking play.

Playing him in to form would be daft.  He didn’t directly cost us yesterday but I think that was more luck that anything because Palace tried to go at our right side to target Milner.  Him coming good is far from a forgone conclusion but we’ve got plenty of Midfielders so I don’t think it’s an issue this season.

I was going to say if I was Shaqiri I’d be a bit pissed off seeing him starting after countless poor performances but to be honest I’d also be getting a bit annoyed if I was one of the players as well.  We are going for the league and can’t be carrying anyone.  Shaqiri has proved he’s good enough and works hard enough to be starting in this team.

11 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I said it in the match day thread yesterday, I think he’s struggling with the style of football.  The vast majority of teams we play against defend deep with lots of players behind the ball.  It requires us to be patient and play the ball from side to side.  When I watch him I always think he’s either playing too safe because he doesn’t want to give the ball away when we are committed too high up the pitch or he’s doing something really daft and risky in situations when we are breaking.  That makes him a liability defensively without getting any benefit from his attacking play.

Playing him in to form would be daft.  He didn’t directly cost us yesterday but I think that was more luck that anything because Palace tried to go at our right side to target Milner.  Him coming good is far from a forgone conclusion but we’ve got plenty of Midfielders so I don’t think it’s an issue this season.

I was going to say if I was Shaqiri I’d be a bit pissed off seeing him starting after countless poor performances but to be honest I’d also be getting a bit annoyed if I was one of the players as well.  We are going for the league and can’t be carrying anyone.  Shaqiri has proved he’s good enough and works hard enough to be starting in this team.

I'd say there are question marks over Shaqiri when he starts and why Klopp uses him a lot from the bench.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Ox's goals against City cloud our opinion of him. He was up and down last season too, yet has played regular football in the PL for 5/6 seasons. Keita just needs games, not sub appearances in the 90th minute. 

I disagree... he had a shit start to the season, then picked up his game Bournemouth away, and became our best midfielder quite comfortably from then on. He was quite a bit better than what Naby has shown for us so far, but of course he had more things in his favour; he’s English, had ample PL experience, more suitable physique for the league.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I disagree... he had a shit start to the season, then picked up his game Bournemouth away, and became our best midfielder quite comfortably from then on. He was quite a bit better than what Naby has shown for us so far, but of course he had more things in his favour; he’s English, had ample PL experience, more suitable physique for the league.

I have negged you not for your opinion on the Ox but for your obsession with an injured player who has shown brief flashes of real talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If the Ox comes back strong it could be a long way back for Keita.  That's a big "if", though.  There's also Lallana pushing for a place and Shaqiri vying for one of the midfield spots.  It's hard to see where Keita gets games when everyone is fit.  

Next season is the big one for him.  If he's still finding it hard to get a start he may look for a new club. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

If the Ox comes back strong it could be a long way back for Keita.  That's a big "if", though.  There's also Lallana pushing for a place and Shaqiri vying for one of the midfield spots.  It's hard to see where Keita gets games when everyone is fit.  

Next season is the big one for him.  If he's still finding it hard to get a start he may look for a new club. 

In the words of Karen Carpenter 'He's only just begun' and moving him on is probably the furthest thing from Klopp's mind at the moment.

The numbers in midfield are good especially as a few can play in different positions. Wijnaldum is pivotal, Keita will hopefully get to grips.

Chamberlain coming back will be good, hopefully he can get back to his performances before the injury. Fabinho is a fine player, Henderson and Milner are good pros who know the score. Lallana is made of Pringles.