You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, skend04 said:

This year's pragmatic approach has curtailed Keita somewhat along with a less fluid frontline. He'll come good, his ability to move forward with the ball is still evident. Take for instance if Salah had scored as he should have done with that effort against Palace off his turn, run and assist we'd be saying something completely different now. 

And that was one turn, run and assist more than Cole managed in his entire career here.

Keita in last season's team would have been interesting, to say the least! You're right though, the more pragmatic, conservative approach this season is something he's still finding the balance for. 

You could also say that along with the ridiculously tight nature of the league games, where there is virtually zero room to slip up, having no real 'gimme' opponents in any of the cup competitions has prevented him somewhat from just going for it and taking some risks. 

Something isn't right here. He should be having more of an impact than he is. 

I don't know whether it is ability of mentality but something isn't working. I hope he and Kloppo can fix it, but I am starting to doubt that he will be the player he promised to be.

25 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I don't know whether it is ability of mentality but something isn't working. I hope he and Kloppo can fix it, but I am starting to doubt that he will be the player he promised to be.

I feel he would have done so much better in this team last season with the all-out blitz football that we were producing and it's quite possible as a result of that, he may have settled better into the team this season knowing how the team had adapted.

Like you say, hopefully he improves with help from Klopp and then kick on in either the second half of this season or possibly even next season, alongside Oxlade-Chamberlain.

38 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I feel he would have done so much better in this team last season with the all-out blitz football that we were producing and it's quite possible as a result of that, he may have settled better into the team this season knowing how the team had adapted.

Like you say, hopefully he improves with help from Klopp and then kick on in either the second half of this season or possibly even next season, alongside Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Bloody hell,that Oxlade Chamberlain has a hell of a reputation to live up to when he returns. Got injured as Ray Houghton and will return as Johan Cruyff.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Bloody hell,that Oxlade Chamberlain has a hell of a reputation to live up to when he returns. Got injured as Ray Houghton and will return as Johan Cruyff.

Someone hasn't heard of the Houghton turn...

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Houghton was a great player for us and I'd be happy if Ox was close to him in effectiveness.

I agree, I'm pretty sure he was a part of the last team that won the League title. 

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Very intriguing that you are not giving Keita the same level of skepticism as you’ve given Ox pretty much from the start. 

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have an open mind on both of them. The scepticism surrounding Chamberlain is more about frequent injuries rather than ability.

I don’t think think you do. It’s very clear to see IMO. You always try to dampen down any excitement about Ox, even after his MOM displays. Not that there’s anything particularly wrong with it. People have their likes and dislikes e.g., Sakho couldn’t do anything right in my eyes for a season or two.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

It's certainly mentality over ability, I think. He has enough potential to adjust to whatever changes his role might need compared to how he played last season.

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think think you do. It’s very clear to see IMO. You always try to dampen down any excitement about Ox, even after his MOM displays. Not that there’s anything particularly wrong with it. People have their likes and dislikes e.g., Sakho couldn’t do anything right in my eyes for a season or two.

Are you an AOC fan then? You’ve never mentioned it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Are you an AOC fan then? You’ve never mentioned it.

He’s one of the players that I like the most as he offers something unique that our other midfielders don’t possess, and that he seems a nice bloke from interviews, etc.

Just now, aRdja said:

He’s one of the players that I like the most as he offers something unique that our other midfielders don’t possess, and that he seems a nice bloke from interviews, etc.

He seems a nice lad alright. He was beginning to look really good before the injury. Hopefully he comes back in the same way he was playing then.

As for Keita I agree with whoever said it above, not easy to get your rythym in a team were every game now is so important. He will get there eventually, Iam shocked he never hit the ground running but you just never know.

• Upvote 1

It might seem obvious but I think Klopp needs to tell him to play the whistle. He has been caught two or three times stopping waiting for the foul which didn't come. So far he has gotten away with it but between that and getting pushed off the ball I don't think Klopp will trust him to get up to the pace and physicality of the league this year.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I tend to like to see a consistent run of performances from a player,eg over a season or two before I make a solid judgement on a player,Keita included too. There are exceptions such as VVD and Alisson but VVD has been playing solidly for a season and Alisson for half of that. As I am a grown man and older than all our players,and even manager,I tend to leave all the hero worship to the young kids and teenagers.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I tend to like to see a consistent run of performances from a player,eg over a season or two before I make a solid judgement on a player,Keita included too. There are exceptions such as VVD and Alisson but VVD has been playing solidly for a season and Alisson for half of that. As I am a grown man and older than all our players,and even manager,I tend to leave all the hero worship to the young kids and teenagers.

Fuck, I just realised I was older than the manager too.

Gini a doubt for this game, so I think it's a virtual certainty he'll start. I have every confidence that by the end of the season those who are doubting him (for justifiable reasons, I might add, given how he's played in a red shirt) will be excited to have him. This would be a great game to get that started.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Gini a doubt for this game, so I think it's a virtual certainty he'll start. I have every confidence that by the end of the season those who are doubting him (for justifiable reasons, I might add, given how he's played in a red shirt) will be excited to have him. This would be a great game to get that started.

Dont get me wrong, i hope he proves me wrong a thousand times.