You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

56 minutes ago, J-V said:

Aquilani was crap and injured most of the time in Serie A.  I think he had a decent number of assists among the injuries hence we signed him.  A strange signing.

It wasnt strange. It was a deal built on installments. It was all we could afford at the time.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We moved heaven and earth to sign him and Klopp has said he thinks he's one of the best midfielders in the world. He'll be fine eventually. Klopp's shown his judgement is basically impeccable and he showed too much ability in Germany.

That said, he's been absolutely atrocious thus far. He's had one great game and two or three decent ones. Nowhere near good enough. 

Can't disagree. We need to get him into the side and stick with him, get some serious minutes into his legs and play him into form. Or not, as the case maybe.

However is that a luxury and a risk that Klopp can really afford to take ? Probably not, and there in lies the conundrum.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Don't see the evidence. Aquilani was similarly good in Serie A. You have to be terrible to not get in ahead of Henderson in this form. 

I get your point of view. If you go by what he has shown us so far, yup he is just another player. But looking at his RBL time, he was a monster. A player who dominated and weaved through opposition midfield. 

I expected him to really establish himself in the 2nd half of the season but it seems unlikely now. The start stop he's having with us isn't helping at all. Maybe he'll kick on next season but hopefully sooner. Like I said he's far too good not to. And I trust Klopp to get the best out of him. 

I’m 100% sure that Naby is going to kick in and become awesome for us. Seems like he has a slow trajectory getting used to the premiership and probably life in uk. He’ll come good - I just hope Klopp sticks with him. It’s a lot of pressure for the lads and the price tag makes it worse. 

7 hours ago, Funkasy said:

I think he will flop and will be sold after next season. I think chainsmoker Cole showed more promise in liverpool then Keita has. 

You were also touting the idea of getting rid of Firmino a while back and getting a big grock in the middle to punt the ball up to.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

You were also touting the idea of getting rid of Firmino a while back and getting a big grock in the middle to punt the ball up to.

It did take him 2 very mediocre seasons before becoming very good for one season, he has then gone a little quiet again this season. Nothing wrong with getting a extra good striker, who was this lump i was suggesting? i cant remember suggesting anyone.

14 hours ago, Funkasy said:

I think he will flop and will be sold after next season. I think chainsmoker Cole showed more promise in liverpool then Keita has. 

No way. I think there is a bit more than rose tinted glasses here with regards to Joe Cole. I cannot remember him showing any promise for us at all. Keita hasn't really done anything this season either, but using Joe Cole as progress, not having that.

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's weird isn't it. His first game or maybe second he looked really good I remember pundits saying this lad is class and then he's just shit the bed and continues to shit the bed. Any other time he'd get more opportunities to play his way into form but every single league game is a cup final.

That last bit of your last sentence is such a good description of the current situation.  I don’t feel like I remember the last time it was like this.  In 13/14 we sort of came out of nowhere and won a silly number on the run but it still didn’t feel like this.

It feels like every single league game has got the whole season riding on it and it’s January ffs.  It’s fucking great.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2019 at 8:56 AM, Luckyhillkop said:

I get your point of view. If you go by what he has shown us so far, yup he is just another player. But looking at his RBL time, he was a monster. A player who dominated and weaved through opposition midfield. 

I expected him to really establish himself in the 2nd half of the season but it seems unlikely now. The start stop he's having with us isn't helping at all. Maybe he'll kick on next season but hopefully sooner. Like I said he's far too good not to. And I trust Klopp to get the best out of him. 

Lavazza doesn't give him wings?

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He could at least get red carded

This led me to wonder when we last recieved a red card. 

September 2017.

I'm sure we can let Naby get away with having one or two if it means he stops overthinking and ups his game.

Screenshot_2019-01-14-18-54-46.png

This year's pragmatic approach has curtailed Keita somewhat along with a less fluid frontline. He'll come good, his ability to move forward with the ball is still evident. Take for instance if Salah had scored as he should have done with that effort against Palace off his turn, run and assist we'd be saying something completely different now. 

And that was one turn, run and assist more than Cole managed in his entire career here.

24 minutes ago, skend04 said:

This year's pragmatic approach has curtailed Keita somewhat along with a less fluid frontline. He'll come good, his ability to move forward with the ball is still evident. Take for instance if Salah had scored as he should have done with that effort against Palace off his turn, run and assist we'd be saying something completely different now. 

And that was one turn, run and assist more than Cole managed in his entire career here.

Cole managed a sending off on his debut at least.