You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He’s also had a bit of a baptism of fire in terms of teams he’s played. What is it — Spurs, City, Napoli, Chelsea where he played large parts? Erickson, Silva, Jorginho, Allan, Hamsik, Kante, Fernandinho ... that is a glut of world class and very good players. Will be nice to see him against some sloggers over the next few games with a little more time and space.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

He’s also had a bit of a baptism of fire in terms of teams he’s played. What is it — Spurs, City, Napoli, Chelsea where he played large parts? Erickson, Silva, Jorginho, Allan, Hamsik, Kante, Fernandinho ... that is a glut of world class and very good players. Will be nice to see him against some sloggers over the next few games with a little more time and space.

This shit actually got repped.  His baptism of fire was actually West Ham, Palace and Brighton where he played nearly full games.  He played less than 20 mins against Napoli and the game he started against Chelsea didn’t involve Kante until the later stages and didn’t involve Jorginho at all.  He was completely anonymous against City to the point I’m surprised you can remember him getting on the pitch.

He’s clearly been a good player in Germany and we all hope he translates that over here but this sort of shit is embarrasing.  He’s been poor and he had an easy run of games to settle into the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If that’s the definition of a good performance I think your bar must be pretty low Numero.  He had very little impact on the result of either game.  He’s gone from trying to stay out of trouble (and struggling) and playing overly safe in those games to looking totally out of his depth in this difficult run we’ve had.  It’s been a case of the emperors new clothes so far.

Just now, The Guest said:

If that’s the definition of a good performance I think your bar must be pretty low Numero.  He had very little impact on the result of either game.  He’s gone from trying to stay out of trouble (and struggling) and playing overly safe in those games to looking totally out of his depth in this difficult run we’ve had.  It’s been a case of the emperors new clothes so far.

Nonsense, in my opinion. Emperors New Clothes! Jesus, he's just here. He's just shown up, FFS. He hasn't set the world alight but this narrative that about three people have tried to create is daft. 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Lets hope -- I thought he would walk into the team ala VVD and now Alison

It's not an ability issue, it's a confidence/fish out of water/new country issue I reckon. I mean, he has done some things already that look just excellent but he seems mentally a bit askew. I think he will settle after a few solid performances against weaker opposition. 

2 minutes ago, Einch said:

Using Oxlade-Chamberlain as an example to suggest Keita needs to hit the ground running is farcical. 

I don’t think anyone is... it’s just that we had Coutinho at the time, so we could afford to do bed Ox in slowly.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

This shit actually got repped.  His baptism of fire was actually West Ham, Palace and Brighton where he played nearly full games.  He played less than 20 mins against Napoli and the game he started against Chelsea didn’t involve Kante until the later stages and didn’t involve Jorginho at all.  He was completely anonymous against City to the point I’m surprised you can remember him getting on the pitch.

He’s clearly been a good player in Germany and we all hope he translates that over here but this sort of shit is embarrasing.  He’s been poor and he had an easy run of games to settle into the season.

Ok .. so swap out Jorginho & Kante (for the most part) with Real Madrid's Kovacic & Cesc Fabregas .. these are still top players and the point stands. You're citing West Ham, Palace & Brighton as if those were games we and he'd rather forget .. with 7 scored and none conceded. He's got himself into good positions where he should have done better (really should have got a goal at Spurs I think) while being otherwise quiet, but these sort of venomous planting-of-flags will inevitably just end up with posts being bumped for their foolishness once we get a few months into the season. Its a bit daft really to be jumping to any statements whatsoever at this point, in a new team, in a new league, in a period when the squad have had hardly any time to drill with 2 games per week against a selection of some of the best teams in Europe during the last month.

Objectively, he's been average at best and mediocre at worst. There really is no other way to say it unless people haven't watched the matches.

We can try to justify the struggles and there are plenty of reasons to believe he will improve - namely that he's a talented player and that almost every new signing improves with time - but it's just closing your eyes to believe he's been good thus far. 

10 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Ok .. so swap out Jorginho & Kante (for the most part) with Real Madrid's Kovacic & Cesc Fabregas .. these are still top players and the point stands. You're citing West Ham, Palace & Brighton as if those were games we and he'd rather forget .. with 7 scored and none conceded. He's got himself into good positions where he should have done better (really should have got a goal at Spurs I think) while being otherwise quiet, but these sort of venomous planting-of-flags will inevitably just end up with posts being bumped for their foolishness once we get a few months into the season. Its a bit daft really to be jumping to any statements whatsoever at this point, in a new team, in a new league, in a period when the squad have had hardly any time to drill with 2 games per week against a selection of some of the best teams in Europe during the last month.

You said he had a baptism of fire.  He didn’t.