You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In that clip, it's not so much Gerrard he reminds me of, but Gascoigne. Pre-injury and without the shit-for-brains, obviously.

This is going to sound odd, but the player he reminds me of most is actually Luis Suarez.

Obviously he plays in a different position but if you played Suarez in midfield I think you'd get Naby Keita.  Gives absolutely everything for the shirt, a tiny bit mad, and seems on an absolute mission to nutmeg every single opposition player every match.

It's really about how he looks at the game, though.  Time and again Suarez seemed just on a different level to everyone else around him.  Like, a regular player would be in a situation and think "nothing on, I'll just cut it back and play the safe pass" or "wide player coming up outside me here, the ball out wide is on and I'll see if I can get it to him."

And Suarez would say "Bollocks to that, I'm going to try to nutmeg this lad and that will put me straight in on goal" or "going to use that run as a decoy and run straight at this defender and panic him and maybe the ball will bounce my way and I can score."

Keita is the same way.  He tries things he has no right to try, when there's a much safer (but also much less threatening to the opposition) ball on.  So he loses the ball a lot, but when he succeeds with this high-risk, high-reward football it's absolutely devastating.  And he's better on the ball than everyone around him so it pays off more often than you'd think.

Going to be absolutely ace for us, made up we got him.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...