You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If, as reported, he wants to join us, why doesn't he put in an official and very public transfer request?

There must be a really good reason for it. You don't see too many transfer requests these days. I know they lose loyalty bonuses etc, but I don't know what level these are on. And surely if you're desperate for a move then the new signing on fee and increased wages would make up for it?

I've no fucking clue what's going on, so I'm just going to shit the fuck in and do something else.

Me neither. Point Im making is, arsenal cant get the lemar(?) deal over the line despite it being reported they have. maureen was moaning he might not buy anymore players because clubs wont sell.

It just seems this window clubs dont want to do business. Yes, its frustrating as fuck but I really dont see what else the club can do.

It reads more like certain people claimed something would happen today and put it out there without verifying the claim, basing it on little more than Twitter gossip and the slashing of betting odds, and when nothing happened today, they've put it out there that the deal is dead.

I won't believe this deal is dead until the club puts out a statement saying they've ended their interest, together with a full apology to RB Leipzig, their owners, their CEO, their coach, their fans and all the villages in Guinea.

• Upvote 2

Me neither. Point Im making is, arsenal cant get the lemar(?) deal over the line despite it being reported they have. maureen was moaning he might not buy anymore players because clubs wont sell.

It just seems this window clubs dont want to do business. Yes, its frustrating as fuck but I really dont see what else the club can do.

I can't imagine being part of FSG right now.

I know there are a lot on here who think that last summer's "we'll save the money for when we have CL, because Klopp doesn't love the options who want to come" was a load of BS but I happen to think it's true.  Jurgen would never go along with it if it weren't, at least in my opinion.

So imagine it's true, and that they were really ready to spend upwards of 150m this summer.  The targets were clear, and both Klopp and the analysts were on the same page - one forward, one midfielder, and one centre back who would transform our side.  As we made our plans in the spring, VVD was being talked about at 40-50m and Keita and Salah for maybe 30-40m.

Then the summer begins and it looks like prices are off-the-charts crazy all over the place.  And, as you say, clubs all over Europe are looking at the situation and refusing to do business at all. FSG regroup, decide we want to support Klopp at any price and up the budget to 60-70m for Keita and VVD and get Salah over the line for 37m.  Must have thought that would do it.

And now the clubs are being completely unreasonable, in Southampton's case because we messed up and in Leipzig's case seemingly because of something personal their DoF has against Keita's agent.

So what are FSG to do?  It's not as if adding 5m onto the bid and going again solves the problem - the issue isn't money, it's "principle."  They know that they can't repeat last summer's line.  Even if it's true, the whole "Klopp doesn't want any alternatives, so we're going to save it and get Keita next summer, etc." will provoke a fan revolt.  

I predict that we might end up doing something risky in midfield.  Maybe a move for Milinkovic-Savic or something like that.  A player who is overpriced, someone who is bought just because we have money to spend and need to spend it to avoid fan unrest.  Not sure, but I can see it that way.  One thing is certain - we are not just going to end up with a positive net spend at the end of the summer.  

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit pissed off it's taken so long to find the brick wall but FSG have a chance to make up for it by opening the envelope marked 'plan b'. Hopefully it's not a mocked up picture of the Premier League Asia Trophy 2018.

Plan B is Coutinho staying.

I'm hoping this is a final roll of the dice and we're bluffing to force either him into putting in a transfer request or Leipzig bottling it and tell us they're now willing to do business. Fuck knows, I've never seen so many conflicting reports on an hourly basis as with this and VVD, different journalist have given completely different accounts of what's happening within minutes of each other at times, it's crazy!

As for the transfer request thing, why don't anyone do it anymore? I don't get that, you desperately want a move but still don't put one in, it can't simply be just the loyalty bonus thing because they'd more than make it up over the course of their new contract and signing on bonus, it must be in their contracts or something that they can't publicly request one.

And now the clubs are being completely unreasonable

I hardly think us failing to meet their asking prices makes them unreasonable.

By that measure, we are being unreasonable in asking for more from Barcelona for Coutinho than they're willing to pay.

I can't imagine being part of FSG right now.

I know there are a lot on here who think that last summer's "we'll save the money for when we have CL, because Klopp doesn't love the options who want to come" was a load of BS but I happen to think it's true. Jurgen would never go along with it if it weren't, at least in my opinion.

So imagine it's true, and that they were really ready to spend upwards of 150m this summer. The targets were clear, and both Klopp and the analysts were on the same page - one forward, one midfielder, and one centre back who would transform our side. As we made our plans in the spring, VVD was being talked about at 40-50m and Keita and Salah for maybe 30-40m.

Then the summer begins and it looks like prices are off-the-charts crazy all over the place. And, as you say, clubs all over Europe are looking at the situation and refusing to do business at all. FSG regroup, decide we want to support Klopp at any price and up the budget to 60-70m for Keita and VVD and get Salah over the line for 37m. Must have thought that would do it.

And now the clubs are being completely unreasonable, in Southampton's case because we messed up and in Leipzig's case seemingly because of something personal their DoF has against Keita's agent.

So what are FSG to do? It's not as if adding 5m onto the bid and going again solves the problem - the issue isn't money, it's "principle." They know that they can't repeat last summer's line. Even if it's true, the whole "Klopp doesn't want any alternatives, so we're going to save it and get Keita next summer, etc." will provoke a fan revolt.

I predict that we might end up doing something risky in midfield. Maybe a move for Milinkovic-Savic or something like that. A player who is overpriced, someone who is bought just because we have money to spend and need to spend it to avoid fan unrest. Not sure, but I can see it that way. One thing is certain - we are not just going to end up with a positive net spend at the end of the summer.

Great post. It's up in the air on the last paragraph. I feel like the fans will just want any cunt come the end of the window and will be fuming if we don't. Personally I don't think we desperately need another centre mid. I think we will next season when Can goes.

We do need a centre back though unless we somehow reintegrate Sakho. The problem with that is look at the shite everybody has signed recently. Finding a top draw centre back ready to go is the hardest thing in the league now. Never mind specifically for us and the style we play. United have just spent 35m on a complete flid. City are buying 1 a year for 35-50m. If we don't get Van Dijk I don't know what the answer is but it's definitely not panicking and spending 30/40m on somebody who will be shite and need selling in a year.

• Upvote 3

I hardly think us failing to meet their asking prices makes them unreasonable.

By that measure, we are being unreasonable in asking for more from Barcelona for Coutinho than they're willing to pay.

Come on, you know what I meant.  

In January Southampton fans were talking about demanding "an absolutely insane bid for van Dijk - upwards of 40m."  Any reasonable unbiased observer would have said that his price would be around 35-40m.

There wasn't as much noise around Keita, but remember that Red Bull traded him from one of their clubs to the other for 12m last summer.  We were interested, and it's a shame we didn't pursue it harder, but I guarantee they would have taken 20m.  Now all of a sudden we offer 67m and it's not enough?  Not only that, but it's not as if they've said "come back with 75m" or whatever.  No, the line is "not for sale at any price."  

It's unreasonable.  Keita is not Messi.  He's a very good player, potentially an excellent one.  Maybe even world-class.  But you can't sit here and say that 67m is such a derisory bid that it doesn't even get his team to the bargaining table.  I guarantee that if Barca's 80m bid is real, that it will get us to the table to at least talk, and he's proven himself on a much higher level than Keita.

The deal has looked hopeless from the start, with RB being so insistent they wouldn't sell (and having so little reason to do so, besides money) that it would have taken a monumental climbdown for it to happen.

The only source of hope (besides wannabe ITK bullshitters on Twitter) was the belief that surely Edwards and co. had to know something we didn't; that Leipzig had to be far more willing sellers than they were letting on if we were pursuing this deal for so long. It appears that belief was misplaced and some of us were putting far more faith in the club than their track record warranted.

• Upvote 1

Come on, you know what I meant.  

In January Southampton fans were talking about demanding "an absolutely insane bid for van Dijk - upwards of 40m."  Any reasonable unbiased observer would have said that his price would be around 35-40m.

Sure, but that's inflation for you. A few years ago we sold the biggest talent I've ever seen in a red shirt for £65m. Nowadays City are splashing that kind of money out on full-backs.

In the context of a market where Swansea are rejecting £45m bids for Gylfi Sigurdsson, and we won't accept anything less than £130m for Coutinho, I don't think the mooted fees for Keita or Van Dijk are remotely unreasonable.

• Upvote 1