You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

It's not too early for some people, that's the point.

They've made their minds up because they watched a lot of Arsenal games.

You can’t, surely, expect people to wipe their memory of the player? You can simultaneously want him to do well, develop his game to match physical attributes, whilst also thinking he was lacking for Arsenal. It was the same with lots of players. Lots wanted Joe Cole, Robbie Keane, ey al to be excellent. But you can’t just blank slate it. That’s up to the manager.

You can’t, surely, expect people to wipe their memory of the player? You can simultaneously want him to do well, develop his game to match physical attributes, whilst also thinking he was lacking for Arsenal. It was the same with lots of players. Lots wanted Joe Cole, Robbie Keane, ey al to be excellent. But you can’t just blank slate it. That’s up to the manager.

That's not what's happening, though.  Loads of people have decided he's shit and will never make it.  

Klopp must have known what he was buying and had some sort of plan . If not then it's bonkers paying that sort of money for a work in progress that may or may not adapt to the way we play,

I personally think Klopp was ambivalent to this signing but the owners saw a young established international that had several years experience at a top club and in the CL. Resale value shouldn't be an issue and it would silence a few critics after a summer spent mooching about waiting for Southampton to pick up the phone, Its becoming clear we have better players for the role he is best suited to and he can't offer much out wide. Unless he gets a complete makeover I can't see him being much more than a bit part player for us.

• Upvote 1

I'm just telling you how he plays as a winger, whatever assumptions you want to add on top are your own, stop attributing them to me - ie calling him one dimensional or suggesting i'm defending him.

This is Chamberlains own words by the way, not mine. He said he's been taught to play ball to feet and prefers it. He has said repeatedly since he's arrived he's trying to acclimatise to a completely different style of play. A style of play where he plays more on the inside and makes runs off the ball.

Assumptions-

Klopp's system requires a certain type of winger and he's the polar opposite.

Salah doesn't expect the ball to be played to feet, he expects it to be played into the space he's running into.

Chamberlain on the other hand has always been coached to expect the ball to feet. He's got the standard English mentality of hugging the touchline, beating a man for pace - or a bit of trickery, and then whipping a cross into the box.

-

You're assuming Klopp only plays specific types of player in positions, specifically out wide, which considering the players that have played there is nonsense.

You have no idea what Salah does or doesn't expect. Going off every single game I've watched him in this season he appears to receive the ball into feet a lot more than he does run in behind. A lot of this is due to how teams set up against us but I find it daft that you think any footballer at that level would expect a pass to only come to them in a specific way every time and only be capable of receiving it that way.

How the hell do you know how Chamberlain has only been coached to expect the ball into feet? I've had a look and I can't find one interview where he says that's the way he's always been coached.

That's not what's happening, though.  Loads of people have decided he's shit and will never make it.

Surely that's just a prediction? The same way as I'm predicting Keita to be very good, I predict that AOC is going to fall short of the quality that we should expect from a 40m signing. I don't see an issue with that. The only time it's an issue is that if they let their judgement of what actually happens be clouded by what they predicted.

Surely that's just a prediction? The same way as I'm predicting Keita to be very good, I predict that AOC is going to fall short of the quality that we should expect from a 40m signing. I don't see an issue with that. The only time it's an issue is that if they let their judgement of what actually happens be clouded by what they predicted.

I think it's more than a prediction.  I think people have made their mind up and won't be budged on it, come what may.  That's not a prediction, it's being a twat (in my opinion). 

I think it's more than a prediction.  I think people have made their mind up and won't be budged on it, come what may.  That's not a prediction, it's being a twat (in my opinion). 

I think that is a fair prediction. 

And i'd be more than happy to concede if it turned out to be wrong. 

I think that is a fair prediction. 

And i'd be more than happy to concede if it turned out to be wrong. 

Really?  I think it's the opposite of fair-mindedness. 

Fair would be something like "nice goal last night, let's hope he pushes on and we see more of that."

Unfair would be "he's shit".  

Assumptions-

Klopp's system requires a certain type of winger and he's the polar opposite.

Salah doesn't expect the ball to be played to feet, he expects it to be played into the space he's running into.

Chamberlain on the other hand has always been coached to expect the ball to feet. He's got the standard English mentality of hugging the touchline, beating a man for pace - or a bit of trickery, and then whipping a cross into the box.

-

You're assuming Klopp only plays specific types of player in positions, specifically out wide, which considering the players that have played there is nonsense.

You have no idea what Salah does or doesn't expect. Going off every single game I've watched him in this season he appears to receive the ball into feet a lot more than he does run in behind. A lot of this is due to how teams set up against us but I find it daft that you think any footballer at that level would expect a pass to only come to them in a specific way every time and only be capable of receiving it that way.

How the hell do you know how Chamberlain has only been coached to expect the ball into feet? I've had a look and I can't find one interview where he says that's the way he's always been coached.

Judging Klopp’s system on the players he’s had to endure from Rodgers tenure is the real nonsense here. It’s not like Klopp specifically chose Milner to play on the right or Lallana is it? Like that is indicative of how he wants to play. 

The only wingers he’s brought in are Mane and Salah. You can extrapolate what he expects from a left or right sided forward from those two signings alone. Chamberlain has been brought in as a midfielder - a point you've even alluded to yourself in your last post, so the rest is pure conjecture.

You're once again making assumptions that i said Salah only expects a ball to be played in front of him or that i'm suggesting he can only deal with a ball played in front of him. I was talking generally, you're taking every single word i've said literally. Can you stop doing that please?

I'm not claiming to be "right".  I have an open mind when it comes to the Ox and how he'll perform.  It was just a little dig at all the Oxperts who claim to have watched every minute of his time at Arsenal and decided he won't make it here.  

Repped for Oxpert. 

We should keep using this word as sooner or later it will find its way into the dictionary. 

• Upvote 1

As for the player, of course we overpaid, but football has gone mad - especially in the summer we just had post-Neymar, and Prem clubs have money to burn if they sign players form each other. 

I'm fully on board with the nice goal, let's see if he builds on it, sentiment. That's fair enough. 

To my mind, the main recent positive I saw was the directness, speed and sharpness he showed when he came on against Man Utd. That was good to see. While the Maribor goal was welcome, it was late on against a side who were already well beaten. I take more hope from the Man Utd cameo and think there is more to come from AOC. 

• Upvote 1

Judging Klopp’s system on the players he’s had to endure from Rodgers tenure is the real nonsense here. It’s not like Klopp specifically chose Milner to play on the right or Lallana is it? Like that is indicative of how he wants to play. 

The only wingers he’s brought in are Mane and Salah. You can extrapolate what he expects from a left or right sided forward from those two signings alone. Chamberlain has been brought in as a midfielder - a point you've even alluded to yourself in your last post, so the rest is pure conjecture.

You're once again making assumptions that i said Salah only expects a ball to be played in front of him or that i'm suggesting he can only deal with a ball played in front of him. I was talking generally, you're taking every single word i've said literally. Can you stop doing that please?

Klopp has mentioned AOC as a forward, plays him as a forward.  Yet for some reason everyone is claiming he's a midfielder.  Why?

Really? I think it's the opposite of fair-mindedness.

Fair would be something like "nice goal last night, let's hope he pushes on and we see more of that."

Unfair would be "he's shit".

I meant your prediction as to what will likely happen was fair.

I've given up expecting a fair ride for some of our players from some of our fans.