You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

TBH, I threw paredes name in as I'd seen he was being made available for £22m and I've seen him have great games compared to AOC doing nothing yet seeing reds chomping at the bit to sign him up for £25. If we don't get Keita over the line this summer, I'd rather we kept the money for this position and develop Grujic until at least Xmas and if Leipzig fall apart in the CL, have another go for him in Jan (I know FSG don't like Xmas shopping but...)

So in summary it was a bullshit name drop (thrown in because of a similar price) in defence of a non existent premise (nobodies chomping at the bit to sign him, some can see the sense in doing so)

Brilliant.

We can't be signing anymore players for the bench. The squad is full of them. First teamers or nothing

The bench's last season would suggest it's full of kids.

The signing would have to be looked at in the context of the rest of the summer signings, if we signed 4 first teamers, a LB and Chamberlain then would anyone care?

Granted if Chamberlain was one of the 4 that would be a different matter but there's nothing to suggest that's the case at the moment. 

Our bench could go from 

Karius, Lucas, Arnold, Ejaria, Grujic, Sturridge, Woodburn (for example).

to

Karius, Lovren, Wijnaldum, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Lallana and Can

• Upvote 1

As far as the fitness issues are concerned i'd point the finger more at Arsenal than Chamberlain himself. Look at Welbeck, Walcott, Wilshire, Gibbs, Cazorla etc they're always injured. Wilshire's gone from being a permanent sick note at Arsenal to being available for every game at Bournemouth. Klopp's fitness staff and Mona Nemmer will sort it out. 

The bench's last season would suggest it's full of kids.

The signing would have to be looked at in the context of the rest of the summer signings, if we signed 4 first teamers, a LB and Chamberlain then would anyone care?

Granted if Chamberlain was one of the 4 that would be a different matter but there's nothing to suggest that's the case at the moment.

Our bench could go from

Karius, Lucas, Arnold, Ejaria, Grujic, Sturridge, Woodburn (for example).

to

Karius, Lovren, Wijnaldum, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Lallana and Can

Yeah but we know we're not gonna be signing four first team players and Oxlade Chamberlain. This is FSG we're talking about. We'll be signing three first team players including him.

Saw him tear us apart in the cup at the Emirates a few years ago and have always thought of him as a dangerous player since, watched him on TV with Arsenal supporting mates who've always rated him highly as well.  Don't understand how in any sense someone would consider him an "average" player, unless they are just looking at his goal return.

Feels a lot like the Lallana signing to me, that took a while to settle (I'd have pulled the plug after his first season and I was an advocate for signing him - although again the final price was a bit more than I'd want us to have paid for him).  But for his quality on the ball, pace (which we still need more of) and potential (or, for FSG, "upside") I think you go for it, given the chance.

But I think Arsenal and him will both be happy to wait on Sanchez returning from the Confeds before anything happens. If Sanchez goes, I reckon he stays with a bit more money and a few more games.

• Upvote 1

He has all the physical attributes (except injuries haha) to be a good player in a Klopp side. I also believe that in the past 6-8 years, there have been a number of these young English players coming through Arsenal that haven't developed one bit. Walcott is the same player he was 8 years ago. I think a change of scenery could help Chamberlain develop, as I do personally believe he has potential to kick on from the level he's been performing at for years now. He hasn't actually developed, hopefully if he comes here he can change that. Wilshere is another example, yes he gets injured a lot but, the media and Arsenal fans were getting their pants wet over him years ago, and he hasn't kicked on one bit. It's funny because they were supposed to be known for 'bringing in youth'. Calum Chambers is another one that probably won't amount to jack shit.

He will be a welcome addition to the squad and can do a job.

Not particularly good at tackling, or passing, and doesn't score any goals. Another jobbing midfielder whose best attribute is running around. Oh, and being injured.

• Upvote 2