You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

Waiting for a clever dick to explain how Ox isn’t actually injury prone because it’s soft tissue blah blah blah. Heard it all with with Owen and Sturridge. At the end of the day if you spend a lot of time injured you are likely not built to be a professional sportsman. It’s a shame with Ox because you feel he needs a run just to get in to form and he’ll never get it.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Disappointing blow for the lad. Bit surprised we allowed heavy tackling in training to be honest. Could just as easily have been Mo, Sadio or Virgil etc.

Quite an assumption to come up with.   A slight breeze could injure him. 

3 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Waiting for a clever dick to explain how Ox isn’t actually injury prone because it’s soft tissue blah blah blah. Heard it all with with Owen and Sturridge. At the end of the day if you spend a lot of time injured you are likely not built to be a professional sportsman. It’s a shame with Ox because you feel he needs a run just to get in to form and he’ll never get it.

The lad had a decent period between coutinho going and getting injured. I don't think he was world class or anything like that, but he was establishing himself in a very positive way and you'd hope there was more to come and he'd really kick on the following year. The thing is, since that big injury, he's scored a some good goals, but he doesn't really contribute on games, for me he just drifts. I reckon if we weren't in change nothing mode, I think his place could have been in doubt. He's so ineffective in games though, I even wonder would Wilson be able to provide what he can. He does fuck all and scores a few good goals and isn't quite a midfielder and isn't quite an attacker. And he could perhaps maintain some fitness. 

• Upvote 1

We generally always have one injury prone player, at times we’ve had three! That reduced to one (fingers crossed) but it must be as frustrating for him as it is for the fans.

i like him but I just don’t ever see him as anything but a player that is either coming back from or being injured. Whatever we do we can’t allow him near an ironing board. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skrtel Milk said:

Jürgen Klopp confirms Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain injury

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is set to miss the remainder of Liverpool’s pre-season programme after sustaining a knock to his knee during training.

The midfielder picked up the injury during a challenge in Austria and has returned to Melwood to begin his rehabilitation with the club’s medical team.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/406193-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-injury-austria-pre-season

Before we totally write him off a brief reminder of what he’s capable of 

• Upvote 1

He's a write off this lad. I'd move him on asap. He's had a handful of good performances in his time with us. He can't stay fit enough to contribute meaningfully over a season and, IMO, he's a big dip from our first choice midfield 3 anyway.

Nice lad but time to let him go.  He'd do great at Southampton or somewhere like that. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

He's a write off this lad. I'd move him on asap. He's had a handful of good performances in his time with us. He can't stay fit enough to contribute meaningfully over a season and, IMO, he's a big dip from our first choice midfield 3 anyway.

Nice lad but time to let him go.  He'd do great at Southampton or somewhere like that. 

Klopp seems to use him more as an option to the front 3 these days and that's an even bigger drop off!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Agree.

The lad is a great bloke, everyone admires his spirit, but he's taking up a slot in midfield that is having repercussions on other players now.   

I think, prior to his Roma injury, Klopp thought he could play as a midfielder but also deputise out wide as a forward at times, or as a full back perhaps.  But the knee injury was massive. He's not broken, another club could get good levels out of him as an attacking midfielder, but he's liable to break-down from time to time.  At another club, not such a big deal, but here it is.  You miss training, you fall behind, your fitness isn't tuned, and Klopp has to find ways of bringing you into the side slowly.

But the fucker is on a contract to 2023.  Big wage.  

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

The lad just doesn't stay fit, hasn't done all through his career. Honestly, if we could get a good buyer, I'd trade him for someone new. He's barely had a run in the team and he's been here 3 years now. 

I said it at the time, why anybody would sign an injury prone player is utterly beyond me, it’s akin to buying a second hand car which is known for constantly breaking down, it just makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I said it at the time, why anybody would sign an injury prone player is utterly beyond me, it’s akin to buying a second hand car which is known for constantly breaking down, it just makes no sense.

I think in football there's a recurring idea that our medical people (and by our I mean whichever team, not specifically LFC) are smarter than the rest and can cure problems nobody else can. It's like its just too easy to think "fuck that, he's a sicknote". Maybe the obsession with finding "value" fuels it a bit, but at 30-odd mil with just 12 months on his contract it doesn't feel that's much of a deal. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Makes even less sense that we gave him a 12 month contract extension to make up for the year he was out injured after Roma.

29 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think in football there's a recurring idea that our medical people (and by our I mean whichever team, not specifically LFC) are smarter than the rest and can cure problems nobody else can. It's like its just too easy to think "fuck that, he's a sicknote". Maybe the obsession with finding "value" fuels it a bit, but at 30-odd mil with just 12 months on his contract it doesn't feel that's much of a deal. 

25 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Makes even less sense that we gave him a 12 month contract extension to make up for the year he was out injured after Roma.

Because Klopp rated him. A midfielder with huge pace and workrate who can play a bunch of positions is basically the holy grail for what Klopp wanted to do. Plus, he's homegrown. None of that is a mystery. 

And people can say he's injury prone, but it's not like he's been sidelined by mostly muscular stuff. It's been a knee tear and now they're saying it's a knock. It's just an unfortunate situation and now after this, he's got West Ham signing written all over him. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because Klopp rated him. A midfielder with huge pace and workrate who can play a bunch of positions is basically the holy grail for what Klopp wanted to do. Plus, he's homegrown. None of that is a mystery. 

And people can say he's injury prone, but it's not like he's been sidelined by mostly muscular stuff. It's been a knee tear and now they're saying it's a knock. It's just an unfortunate situation and now after this, he's got West Ham signing written all over him. 

As someone posted before there would be someone trying to claim he's not injury prone! But regardless of the reason, throughout his career (I don't mean LFC only) he's failed to get himself on the pitch on a regular basis. He was a sick note when we signed him, not much has changed despite how you try and spin his reasons for injury. He's just one of those lads. Bad luck for him, but really he's never going to be all those things you've talked about klopp wanting in a player, because he just isn't available enough to be that lad. 

4 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

As someone posted before there would be someone trying to claim he's not injury prone! But regardless of the reason, throughout his career (I don't mean LFC only) he's failed to get himself on the pitch on a regular basis. He was a sick note when we signed him, not much has changed despite how you try and spin his reasons for injury. He's just one of those lads. Bad luck for him, but really he's never going to be all those things you've talked about klopp wanting in a player, because he just isn't available enough to be that lad. 

Yeah, I didn't say he wasn't, (what the fuck does injury prone mean anyway, it's subjective BS) I just think his injuries are unfortunate. It doesn't seem to be a question of just continually pulling stuff like Sturridge, with us it's hurting his knee and shit. 

Worth noting that in his 3 seasons with us he has featured in the league in 32, 2 and 30 games.

The 2 obviously was when he had the big injury  - which can happen to anyone....but 32 and 30 is respectable.

Those 2 seasons saw him feature in a total of 42 and 43 games in all comps.

Not that bad is it.