You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

12 hours ago, Trumo said:

Good to see him getting a few minutes as he works his way back from the serious injury he got a year ago.

Incidentally, when it comes to injury announcements, I'm getting fed up of the news leaking on social media and then the likes of the Echo before the club put out a statement. The club need to take control of the situation by demanding that players and staff do not blab anything before the club have announced something themselves. Last year, everybody was saying Ox's injury was a really bad one while the club said fuck all for about a fortnight. Bobby was absent this evening and the rumour is that it was injury-enforced, perhaps bad enough to keep him out for the rest of the season. The club should be the first ones to explain what the situation is, via a statement on the official site and not through Klopp or whoever saying something vague in an interview or press conference.

The club are presumably waiting for proper medical analysis whereas twitter ITK blerts just want to feel instantly important. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Trumo said:

Gerry Byrne broke his collarbone in the Cup final. Didn't make a fuss of it, playing the rest of the game including extra time (subs weren't permitted in those days). Dave Whelan broke his leg in a Cup final a few years earlier, and he's not stopped making a fuss ever since!

What? Dave Whelan broke his leg in a Cup Final? Clear the front page.

The Mirror is saying that we will sign him to a new deal extending his contract for an extra year.

Good to hear, basically gives us back that year we lost to his injury. I presume there will be some terms in there about injury to protect us in case he never returns to full fitness or in case he has a repeat of the knee problem.

This is one of the reasons that players want to play for Klopp he will always have your back regardless of what ever shit is thrown your way .

I've worked for managers who I could gladly throw under a passing bus but I've also worked for some decent ones who look after you and you would do pretty much anything for .

Klopp obviously falls into the the 2nd category and players will walk through a brick wall for him .

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

We are gonna need more from this lad than he has shown the last few weeks. Granted it is pre-season but he really should be well ahead of the curve.

What?!? He's still coming back from a very serious injury. To say he should be well ahead of the curve is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Mate -- he was back at the end of the season playing in games. The comeback part is over.

He should be fresh as a daisy 

None of our players are fresh during preseason. Simple reason is training set up to prepare us for the season ahead, and legs are heavy as a result. Also means we’ll not hit top form for the start of the season. Which is a calculated risk of course. Remember Klopp being quite clear on this a year ago.

This all came about because Sean Rogers tweeted it, the 'expert' from TAW.

I think it's very unfair to judge anyone individually, there's been a lot of travelling, a lot of sessions, and a lot of mixed teams against some very good, and pumped, opposition.

Ox is deffo not a wide attacker, he was asked to play there so he could get more minutes, and to ensure Hendo/Gini/Milner/Fabinho all got a lot of minutes too. 

I think intensity is something he thrives on, but it's impossible to attain if your teammates aren't doing the right things, and aren't putting the graft in like you are. This pre-season has been devoid of intensity, it just doesn't work without the first choice 3 up front, they set the tone for the rest of it.

I'd hate to play in midfield, against Napoli and Sevilla, with Origi, Wilson, and Brewster in front of me.  You know the ball isn't sticking, you know it's pointless making your supporting run, you know you're going to get caught out behind if you make that run, and you know there's fuck all you can do about it. 

He needs to play in midfield in that auxiliary role that Henderson made his own at the end of last season. I thought he looked explosive against Dortmund and then all of a sudden in the other matches it looked like he'd never seen a football in his life.