You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

26 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’m guessing, he was comparing his performances back then to the performances of the CMs this season i.e., if he was not injured, he’d be the best CM in the league. 

It's possible. My reading was he meant how when you are missing through injury, your reputation tends to grow and grow.

Same as when the manager doesn't start a player you think should have started you are convinced it would have made a huge difference in a bad team performance. And then when he starts the next game, you see him slotting effortlessly in the overall shittyness of the team.

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's possible. My reading was he meant how when you are missing through injury, your reputation tends to grow and grow.

Same as when the manager doesn't start a player you think should have started you are convinced it would have made a huge difference in a bad team performance. And then when he starts the next game, you see him slotting effortlessly in the overall shittyness of the team.

I suppose it’s one way to interpret it. Quite cynical though I must say. 

I'm wondering if the reference to CM is something other than central midfielder?  So for example as a result of being unable to play football he joined a poker league and became an adept bluffer, perhaps we are looking at the best con merchant in the poker league?  This being a football forum, the confusion is understandable

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

I think his favoured role is as one of the two CMs in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. With Ox back, I think there’s a good chance we will move back to 4-3-3, a formation that would be alien to Naby, because AFAIK Leipzig never really played it. 

TBH at the moment the entire sport of football looks like it is alien to Naby.

• Upvote 2